1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

does anyone feel like they've spent too much money?

Jul 3, 2006

1. Ah ah ah! I course I do, right now actually... Is it only me or bjd changes your relation to money? It did not help that I just found my dream doll and had to let go of a large chunk of money in order to afford him (but I'm sure he'll be worth it).

Now, if my boyfriend could just STOP looking over my shoulder when I go to the bank with him! He knows how much money I had 2 days ago, and I have a LOT less than that now. I'm afraid if he sees that, he'll catch on very fast that bjd are not as "inexpensive" as he thinks. He would never understand. :(

So I guess my problem is more with what people will think about how much money I spend...

2. If I had to like pay bills and stuff and used that money maybe, but as of right now I spend loads and I never feel bad. I would def feel bad if i wasted dollfie money on clothing though :X

3. I definately do... ()

Although it's not just the dolls (thought I recently calculated up with wigs and eyes and outfits, I'm close to $1k in dolly stuff. o.o;; )

But, in general... I've wasted an awful lot of money over the past few years and due to current circumstances, it's a really bad thing...

4. Yes.... someone please STOP ME!!!

I swear, I'm going to be good from now on! I'm gonna pay down the CC!

I actualy feel content with what I have right now... other than Nanuri needs a body...

5. I often feel guilty about spending so much money on dolls, even though I work for the money...
      Enough doll purchases for this month though! I'll save it until Narae arrives... I can't wait!

6. I know well that, by the time my two planned dolls (just the planned ones!) have all arrived, and have everything I want and have planned for them, I'll have spent 'too much' money. The reason I haven't started to feel bad is, whenver I buy something, it's all money I've saved and set aside specifically for my dolls, and it's all money that I've worked for myself. I know that I'd feel bad if I spent someone else's money on them - even birthday money I consider 'someone else's money', because it's not money that I really did anything to earn (but that's just a personal thing, there's really nothing wrong with using gift money for dolls!) - so I only spend my own cash, and never to the point where I have nothing left over for other things, like going out with my friends, or buying a new CD. I don't really have any expenses or anything, but when I do, I want to make sure that I have something to pay them with without having to sell my darlings!

That's probably why it's taking so long to save, but at least I don't have to worry about spending money I don't really have, and feeling bad about it later. :) My first boy is still just a head, and I'm only half way to getting him a body, but it'll all be worth it when he gets here, even if he'll be nude, bald, eyeless and faceless. *_*

As long as you organize your money, and don't put your dolls in front of things that really are more important - bills, debts, a nest egg for college or a rainy day - you should never feel bad about spending money on or for your dolls, even if you don't really have them yet!

7. Only $150? *LAUGHS HYSTERICALLY* I only discovered BJDs three or less months ago and already I've spent WELL over $1,000 on them...and that barely includes all the face-up supplies, bags, and non-clothing accessories I've picked up along the way. @___@;; Basically, I've considered locking myself in a padded cell for such lunacy (or possibly just because a padded cell would be damn fun) but either way....I actually don't regret the expenditure one little bit. *grin*

8. I don't even want to think about how much money I have spend on a doll that isn't even here yet....makes me feel selffish....oddly enough my bf has almost spend as much as I have on my doll by buying things for him. I told my bf I felt guilty and he just told me that its what I wanted and I deserved it....so I try to just focus on him saying its ok

9. Absolutely, but I feel guilty if I buy anything - clothing, shoes, movies, books... anything but school books, tuition and rent. I even feel guilty if I buy food. My parents keep stressing that I have to be so frugal... I can't do anything without feeling incredibly guilty. I don't think I'll be able to feel not guilty about buying things until I've payed all my student loans off. Which'll take... awhile.

Once I'm done University (two more years) then I can get myself a full-time job, instead of just full-time in the summer and part-time during the school year. Once I have that... my parents won't be able to complain about how I spend money, because that'll be it. I'll be done. Maybe I'll get rid of my guilt then.

Still... I make most of my doll's clothes myself, and only buy things I can't make myself. I try to keep my doll spending habits in check, and I always pay off my Mastercard bill the moment it arrives.

10. Naaah. :XD: I work for the money, and the way I look at it, it's not gonna do me any good sitting inside a messed-up checking account! (Only semi serious there. But I don't feel guilty about doll purchases, ever. No point.)

11. I can really relate to this sentiment, even though it has been many, many years since I was student and had to stress over money.

I too was raised with a really frugal approach to life, and even though my life now is really financially stable, even luxurious by many standards, I still have the "must weigh out every purchase" mentality I was raised with. Honestly, it's so strongly ingrained that if won the lottery tommorrow, I would probably still behave the same.

So yes, I sometimes feel guilty about the money I spend on dolls and doll stuff, and probably always will.

12. Ha ha, all the time, but I do keep on a budget, and I don't buy everything I see because A. I'd be broke and B. Just don't have the room for it.
      And I do mull over large purchases, I don't make any 600 dollar impulse buys. If I really love it, and have lived with it for over 30 days, that's when it goes to the top of the list.

13. Does the sun rise? Do bears "go" in the woods? :D

I feel guilty when I buy a candy bar. Imagine how I feel with upwards of 40 dolls.
      I'm such an idiot ;)

Ah yes. That's EXACTLY what my big issue is. I have the funds, I've worked long and hard (and against my primal urges to cut and run) for YEARS, my kids are healthy, fed, and overstocked with toys, and my house, while not anyone's notion of extravagant, is at least in decent repair. Bills get paid on time. So yeah, why does it bug me? "What will X [insert name of choice] think?"

*sigh* we are so well trained, sometimes. This knee-jerk guilt reaction comes from my mom. She's been gone from this world for 14 1/2 years now. Go figure.

14. Yes! I go on a shopping spree from time to time. But I try and shop in bulks to keep the shipment fees low...
      Why is it that most of the dolls shoes costs more then the human shoes. :sweat

15. Oh I don't feel like that...YET. I'm just praying, PRAYING that Haku comes with brown eyes because I don't know how I'm going to tell my mom I'm spending 7-35 $(depending on the ones I choose) on EYES. Same with wigs. Then of course I'll have to break it to her "...Oh...I'm planning to get MORE dolls! You can't expect Haku to live without Zabuza can you?!" Luckily I won't be getting Zabuza for awhile. >.>

16. Oh dear. Every time I look at my dolls I'm like "O__o; I've spent so much on them. That money could have gopne towards this and this...." and so on...

But I'd much rather actually have the dolls, than sit here on the forums and whine because I don't. :D

Besides, I'm used to spending tons of money on buying manga, so I get over the shock pretty quickly. XD

17. Hell yes... at the moment ive just paid for my next Narae..im getting her from my friend on Wed ..yay!! But so far in the past three weeks ive also paid for and recieved my OD Tae...he came last week and two outfits and some shoes....money seems to be slipping through my fingers like it was water just lately...and theres no way im telling my family about the Narae..im going to intoduce her slowly in the hope that my hubby and sons dont notice!!!!!

18. I feel bad when i spend money on dolls when i need other stuff like college supplies or extra cash for food,clothes,etc... >w<

19. Oh god im addicted to little food miniatures and like doll jewerly XP If any1 feels bad about there buying habits just compare urself to me and ull feel better :X

20. I only feel bad, when I see other things I wanted BEFORE I got into BJDs.

I really really wanted this one new laptop for a while, since I've gotten into BJDs almost ALL of my spending/saving has been for my dolls.

^_^;;;