1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

does anyone feel like they've spent too much money?

Jul 3, 2006

1. I'm fully aware that I've spent a lot of money on them but it's ok because I love them and help with my creative outlets as an artist and photography. I also agree that it's better to be buying them then like alcohol or smokes cos they'll be there for a long time unlike that when once you use it it's gone and you have to keep buying more.

2. When I first saw these dolls I fell in LOVE.
      Just love, like the rest of you. But then I saw the price tag and was heart-broken. I never thought I would ever end up with a doll costing $500, not even including clothes! >O<

Now here I am, year & a half later, with a $900 doll, wearing a $35 Dollheart shirt I just bought for him yesterday.
      When I'm leaving for college in two days, and am going to need lots of fundage for necessities.
      ~__~;;;
      I still have enough saved to get by the first semester, though.
      Dollar stores are there for a reason. :lol:

So yeah, I do feel guilty sometimes.
      But he's worth it. (:

3. Meh, personally I don't see the point in buying a $600+ doll and then dressing them in a leftover potato sack. If you are willing to buy such an expensive doll, one should be willing to buy a little more expensive clothes. (Though, preferably when you have money for it!)

4. That suddenly made me have a mental image of a BJD that looks that Dobby from Harry Potter...

5. Yeah, I agree- I used to think it was no problem buying cheaper things for my doll, but nowadays I'm more focused on being selective and saving up for a few expensive/higher quality pieces of clothing. A nicely-made piece will go a lot farther and be able to polish up any outfit supplemented by cheaper/handmade things.

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes I notice the amount I spend, and other times I don't. When I do notice it, it's always something for a doll that I haven't bonded with. And, that usually factors in to my eventual decision to sell the doll. My current (and only) doll is very dear to me, and I generally don't really think about/regret any amount of money I spend on him...because to me, it's "worth it". With the last couple of dolls I sold, however, I was constantly thinking about how much it would take to buy her the shoes or the wig that I want, and how much I've already spent on their clothes, etc.

As for spending in general, I space out my purchases and put limits on them (in such a way that I don't receive more than two packages a month, and each package has to be less than $50, etc) as a way to moderate my spending. And I usually wait at least a week before buying something to make sure I really want it. ^__^

6. Feel like I spent too much? Oh, mercy, yes! I doubt I'll ever tell anyone how much I spent on them. I think I can still hear my frugal, Great-Depression-surviving adoptive mother spinning in her grave. It was almost funny how much anguish I was in about forking out so much at once, even though I inherited that money and I have two jobs. But then, I feel guilty about everything I don't save/put into retirement. Not that guilt stops me, necessarily, but it makes me anxious for a couple of days after I buy, and then again when the bank statement comes. I hope the pride from taking good photos and making nice outfits for them will soothe the pain!

7. In a word, "yes". I have to pay for my Choa and another two BJDs on pre-order. There are a few others dolls I want to get right now, but I have to wait until the other three are paid for. Looking back I wish I hadn't pre0ordered the other two.

8. yeah i have those odd moments where i feel i spent too much money. Like today ^^ My El turned into a birthday gift (sortof) and my parents are giving me money for my University books and some money to treat my friends and me for my birthday. So guilt is working overtime lately...

I look at stuff for my boys and i think i would like that! I've been eyeing up more expensive stuff for them now. And i would buy them it once i get my own paypal. Right now i feel guilty about using my dad's card for buying $30 worth of stuff so i highly doubt nice Dollheart boots will be on his card, but will be on mine ^^"

I have had a day where i dat down with Rae and Cain plonked down in front of me and i think... "Man you two are expensive!" To say the least for 8 months of buying BJDs i have spent well over $1000... haha and i haven't even counted for some stuff i'm planning. To someone who never spent $1000 on 'toys' before it's a phanomenal amount.

My mum uses a guilt trip on me to not get any more dolls like "Someone in HongKong only makes $5000 HKD a month and have to feed a family of 4..." yeah... to be nasty i don't care... i care about the lesser well off countries and people who realy can't afford money for food, but i don't feel anything for those who don't work for money. Seen plenty.

I feel guilty when my bestfriend says she would never in a million years buy such an expensive doll and i know she wouldn't. But I sooth myself thinking "hey she just got a $1600 camera so why can't i enjoy my dolls???" seeing as her camera and my doll are both gifts ^^ (no she isn't rich, it was money for getting into one of the world's best university) but nope i never regret my dolls once they get here because they are so worth each penny i place into them!

However i do feel "I could have done X and Y and Z if i didn't buy ___" before they get here.

9. all the time :/
      I always feel guilty when I spend money on clothes for them cause I'm a student and my money should be going on rent and food. ><;;

10. Let's put it this way. I have an ulcer. And whenever I go to buy anything for my babies - or in fact, another doll - I get flareups so bad I have to go on painkillers. The guilt and stress over buying them or anything for them actually gives me physical pain.

I still do it, though. I never plan on having children - these are my babies. And besides, as my best friend and fellow bjd-er pointed out last night - "They don't need water, food, a cage, or cleaning."

11. All the time, (as I don't have a working income, just an allowance) so after buying a doll, the meager amount in my account drops like a stone xD
      I'll do it again once I've got enough for another doll though xD

12. Yeah, I've spent WAY too much money. I started out three weeks ago ordering one doll. I've now hit four digits (before the decimal) on two more dolls and their clothes.

My bad.

This just means I have to be REALLY good until after Christmas!

13. When I think about how much I have spent on my dolls it makes me shudder, but I think it's worth it. I like to hold them and customize them and get funny stares when I bring them to school with me ^_^ I feel a bit guilty that I am using part of the money my grandmother left me to buy these dolls, but she probably would have liked for me to have such a nice hobby. I don't spend money on a lot of luxury things for myself so this is what I spend it on. Heck, it's better than wasting it on hundreds of failed lotto tickets or cigarettes or alcohol, which all disappear soon after you buy them :p

14. not yet. I only got my doll two days ago and I think him and the other items I got were worth every penny! Im pretty sure Ill overshop for him in the future though...

15. Overall I've spent about $200 in the BJD world... And I definitely plan on spending more, especially right now since I've decided on which MSD boy I want (Dollzone Ray). :) I know it's not alot, but I do feel a little queasy at times just thinking about it. I have a budget system set in place for me, though. The overall amount of money spent on everything doll-related I own, combined, is never allowed to exceed $1000. This means that I'll sell things if necessary, but it will also make sure that I ONLY go for the dolls that I REALLY love, because I will be very careful in making decisions for my purchase. :)
      Also, I never expect myself to enter the world of SDs, so it's not like buying one doll will automatically exceed my budget. :sweat

16. I tend to feel guilty all the time, mainly because I use what little money I get each month as an allowance from DH. I do well with what I get and I tend to sell dolls I don't want anymore so I can now go for dream ones that will be keepers. Still I have to cut the spending on clothes, and only get what I know I can't make myself. I keep hoping I will make fantastic clothes that I can sell for fair sums of money so I can get the shoes, jeans and such I know I can't make for my dolls. As well as pay for the dolls themselves. But I don't smoke, drink or wear make up. I am not into designer clothes and tend to not even get myself anything new unless a party for DH's work comes up and nothing I have will work. But still I do wish I could make some money of my own to spend instead of scrap together my allowance to get me that one doll slipping away due to over sepnding already. Thank goodness for gifts of money for B-Day and Christmas.

17. I usually try not to think about it. I find that this hobby has really changed my views on how I spend my money. Just the dolls themselves have done that. I used to think paying $200 for a doll was a lot of money. Now I'm getting ready to buy my thrid at $570 and considering that I'm getting a faceup, a sleeping head and a faceup on that sleeping head, I think I'm doing pretty good.

Clothes, same thing. I just spent $200 over at Brennil on clothes for my new girl and I think I did fairly well. I only feel like I spent too much when I realize that over the past 4 months, I've probably spent over $1000 on doll stuff. :doh

18. I know I've spent alot already.
      I bought 2 off topic dolls last year for around $100 each, and I've only had my first BJD since my birthday 2 months ago (this one, hubby bought for me as a bday gift).
      I recently ordered a PKF Shiwoo for myself, and helped a friend save up for her own PKF Shiwoo that will be shipped to me and I'll ship to her.
      Not to mention the wigs, clothes, and shoes I've bought for my first doll and the shoes and clothes I may buy for my in-coming doll.
      And to calculate the fabric I've been buying to make clothes for them.

I think the only reason I don't feel bad for spending so much money is because I work hard to earn the money myself to spend on my hobby.

I dare not touch hubby's wallet for the hobby unless I see a fabric I want at Hobby Lobby or Hancock Fabrics that I either can't find online or is cheaper to buy from a physical store rather that online.

19. Its not so much that i FEEL like i spent so much money.

Its more that i spent to much money.

20. All the time, especially when I buy things I know I can make, I'm just too lazy or unmotivated to do so. The guilt really kicks in when I know I should be saving for a car/computer/school. :( But in the end they bring me enjoyment and I don't generally buy more than my means allow.