1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

does anyone feel like they've spent too much money?

Jul 3, 2006

1. Yes, I do feel that I have and do spend way to much on dolls. However, they are my hobby. I have always collected dolls, it is what I enjoy doing with my spare time and money. Sometimes I think I could spend my money on other things, but I always seem to end up buying dolls lol. I will say one thing, buying BJDs has helped me to control the amount of dolls I do buy. Since they cost so much more than most Barbies and other collectible dolls, I end up not getting nearly as many ^_^

2. hmmm, I hadn't even stopped to think about exactly how much money I spent on BJDs so far since I got my first girl in March. I've bought 5 dolls so far (2 were gifts for friends), lots of clothes and wigs. So within 5 months of being into the hobby I've spent about 2000$. It's a lot of money, but it's money I've earned from my plushie commissions so it's one hobby fueling the other. So I don't feel bad about it.

3. This pretty much sums it up for me, too. ;)

4. I definitely feel guilty - in less than a year I've spent at least $10,000 US on just 6 dolls, clothes, wigs, eyes, and new faceups for them. .....I could've put a big down payment on a nice car with that....

5. YES, definitely. What I have spent is a small fortune, on completely unnecessary items. Thankfully I get a lot of enjoyment out of them, and a small doll related buisness venture is helping to pay for them now, but it is still too much. At least with Lati they don't devalue!

6. I'm definitely aware of the amount of money I've spent.
      I don't know the exact amount...but I know it's a lot.
      If I knew the actual total it might make me think for a second, like, a WOW reaction followed by thoughts of what other things I could have used all that money for.
      But in the end I'm happy with my dolls and I'm willing to spend the money on them.
      The only part that upsets me is the amount of money that is wasted towards really expensive shipping, or custom charges.
      That money spent is regretful, and probably adds up to like 2-3 other dolls that I could have bought...but they're expenses that come with the hobby so, thank goodness for GOs! XD

7. Oh definitely. I've bought my boys so much stuff that just didn't suit them at all and I feel really guilty about it. Now I volunteer at a super cheap thrift store and there's plenty of fabric and old clothing to recycle for doll clothes. Only things I plan on buying for my boys now are their shoes, eyes and wigs. Everything else I can handle myself. I want to be frugal but I still want to spoil my dolls with handmade stuff too. -w-

8. I've spent alot of money in this hobby, but I've also made alot back, not taking into account the number of friends, good times, and practical experience I've gained. If I didn't have those things to show for it, then yes, I would say I've spent too much, but that isn't the case with me.

9. As long as happy with what your buying i think it's ok:) I earn my own money, so spending on something enjoy is good, as long as dont spend so much cant pay for food etc^^

10. It's like, this whole thread is a warning of what might happen. I don't even have a doll (yet), but I'm already getting worried. :)

11. I KNOW I've spent too much money on this hobby, I think everyone feels this way ^^; But I figure now is the best time to do so, while I still live at home with my parents and don't have any other financial commitments holding me back. (I do save money though, honest!)

I'm going back to college pretty soon though... so no more dolly related purchases for a LONG time

I agree with this completely, I've made so many friends and gained so much confidence as a person through these dolls and this hobby.

12. I don't even have my doll yet, but I know I'm spending waaaaaay too much on him. I did a mock order last night so I could write down how much I was spending...never in my life have I spent so much on...basically one thing. And I'm going back to college for my sophomore year in a couple of weeks, so yeah. Not only that, but I'll be in the process of moving out into my own place. I've saved like maaaad for my boy, so once I get him, I'm just gonna enjoy him for a while...a loooong while.

13. yes... i feel very very guilty... but it's so addictive!

14. I uh, haven't spent nearly enough money on them yet? XD *wish lists are evil*

15. Well, I am certain I spent too much money on this hobby. When I think I could sell my top shelf of my doll collection (the BJD shelf) and have a halfway decent car it gives me a guilty twinge. But my collection makes me happy. I don't spend money on alcohol or cigarettes or drugs, so perhaps it isn't the worst thing I could be spending my money on...

16. $150..if only that was how much I had to cry about.

I've definitely spent too much money just on the dolls themselves. I've spent almost enough to pay off a year of tuition at my college or half of a 6 week trip to Japan, etc, etc.

I've spent a lot on manga, figurines, and Japanese magazines though too so I don't feel as bad when I look at the varying collections I have. The dolls are just another item I collect, albeit the most expensive, they are also the most poseable and versatile ones I have.

Also, as mentioned before by people, I don't smoke, drink or do drugs so technically spending on dolls isn't that bad at all ^_^.

17. Oh good lord yes, I've spent way too much. On my first SD I've already spent $350 and it's only been a few weeks. Plus I'm moving to New York for my first year of college in a week, so I'm being doubly as naughty. Good thing I got lots of graduation/birthday money otherwise I'd never be able to rationalize it all. Right now I just keep telling myself that I know people who spend that much on drugs in a few months. Dolls are not nearly as detrimental to my health

18. YES! But it's not my money that I'm spending. It's my dad's. So I always feel guilty when I spend something :B But the MP has so many temptations >.> Average, I spend $1oo-2oo/month. This month I have swear that I will spend nothing since I've bought a doll last month and my dad will kill me if I spend anymore =w=

19. Yeah, I guess I do. I feel kinda guilty shucking out 400+ bucks for an eighteen-inch piece of resin, especially since I've never really bought myself anything remotely expensive before. But now I just have to keep myself from buying the little things all the time (clothes/eyes/etc.), and remind myself that I really DO NOT have the money to spend on those outside the necessities.

20. Always!! LOL, doesnt stop me though. I dont drink, smoke, or do drugs...Dollies are my drug!! ha ha ;)