1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone prefer SMALLER eyes?

Apr 5, 2009

1. My DG Noella I've only ever had 20mm eyes in. She has a wide-eyed shape, so they suit her without totally overwhelming her "look". I tried 18mm, but I got gaps round her eyewells. Maybe it was just the brand I tried, but they didn't really work for me.

In general I'd prefer the smallest eyes I could get away with (i.e. without gaps) for a doll... but it really depends. Sometimes it just doesn't suit the character of the doll... for instance, I might have been able to get those 18mm eyes in Lily at a different angle to how I usually have them in, but another angle doesn't seem to suit her, somehow. The eyes make SO much difference to the doll's expression, it's amazing!!

That said, I put some eyes in Jack (SM Namu) that were, IMO, far too small. They fit his eye-sockets, but the particular eye-brand had rather small irises, and they made him look really frightened! Hehe~

2. Yup, I also go for smaller eyes mostly. Unless the character is supposed to be doe-eyed.

3. I usually prefer them smaller - I like the look it gives the dolls. But not too small, of course! Then they just look odd :P

4. I prefer smaller eyes on dolls.
      It gives them more expression and more space to move the pupils to give off a certain attitude.
      Bigger eyes seem to consume the eye holes and take over them, leaving no room for emotion.
      I love big eyes on smaller cuter dolls though, it really depends on the mold.
      But in general, smaller eyes seem to work better most of the time...

5. I do. Makes them more mature looking or something. And big giant eyes look dark in photos, I like whites to brighten them.

6. I definitely prefer smaller eyes. :) I'm waiting on 14mms for Tae-Jun, who came with 16mms, and my Ryu has 12s. I think it gives them a more mature and realistic appearance. I have nothing against dolls that have a more "anime" look, and big eyes work great in dolls whose characters are supposed to be children, but they're not for me.

7. It really depends on the sculpt for me: as others have mentioned, younger sculpts look great with larger eyes IMO.

My SD10 has huuuuge eyes! Hahaha! But I think she looks really cute with them. Whereas, the Soom and Limwha I'm waiting on have comparatively much smaller eyes (14-16mm versus 20-22mm in my SD10). ^.^

8. Same here... Admittedly, most of my dolls have the recommended size, or one size larger for the "cuter" ones. My Belita has one size larger than the 16mm DIM recommends, because 16mm eyes tend to give her a startled, deer-in-the-headlights look. But smaller eyes work better in some sculpts too, especially those who are intended to look older or more wordly. It all just depends on what I feel looks best for that doll, and what type of look I'm trying to achieve.

Like kateb mentioned, the angle of the eyes does a lot, too... my Gretel is always looking upward and to the side, because her head is often tilted a little to the side... it gives the impression of looking shyly up at the camera, or looking dreamily skyward. It works great with 16mm, but when I tried the same thing with 18mm it didn't work. If I have her looking mostly forward, 18mm eyes actually look more natural.

9. Also a lover of the smaller eyes right here, personally. ^^ Though I have to admit, there are some ADORABLE big eyed dollies out there... the look especially works for little boys and girls who I think are supposed to look cute and innocent depending on their character. But there's just something that's truly awesome and appealing to me, seeing dolls with smaller irises and more expansive whites of the eyes. <333

10. Not at all insane. I only buy dolls with 12 to 14mm eyes and 8.5 to 9.5" heads. I really don't like the bug-eyed look on my dolls or anime though I love it in my mangas.

11. I definitely prefer smaller eyes. Both my dolls are supposed to have 16mm eyes, but I've changed them out to 12mm and 14mm. I think it really makes them look more realistic. I don't like the spaced out look that the bigger eyes give them.

12. I like the smaller eyes. But it really depend on the sculpt, it seems like in the same company different sculpt has some really different eyeshape that would accomodate different eye sizes.

Originally I have the 16mm on Tomato, which I didn't mind the look, but because the eyes just had really high dome it really didn't fit very well. Since then I've just tried to go with 14mm instead... and I was really surprised it is possible to make 12mm work even!

13. I tend to go for one size smaller than the usual standard of eyes for the heads of my dolls. It also depends on the kind of look you want to go for as well, I feel.. I have one woosoo with 16mm in and he looks more evil/mature and the other one has 18mm and it makes him look more innocent/sweet so I guess that's a big factor for me as well.

14. It's pretty much like I said in the large eyes thread, it depends on the doll & the look I'm going for. Most of my realistic dolls have smaller eyes as they add to the realism. Let's face it, most folks don't have eyes that take up most of the whites. One of the first things I did with my Luts was change their eyes to a smaller size even those are somewhat stylised. I liked the effect of the smaller eyes. They made them seem more like people & less like dolls.

Now my very stylised dolls like Peak's Wood & most Customhouse, have large eyes since those add to their "magical" look.

15. I prefer smaller, as well. Depending on the head mold, I'd sooner opt for the next size down from the default size. I like the mature look, and as was mentioned already, the intensified focus that the smaller iris gives.

16. My eye 'comfort zone' is 16mm :lol: ( although I do have dolls with smaller eyes too). It also depends on the iris and pupil size, because it's also to do with the size to fit the eyewells, e.g. my Woosoo's eyewells can take 18mm but I like the look of a smaller Iris in him, so am looking around at the mo for the right pair.

17. I think in general smaller eyes make the doll look more intelligent. All of mine have smaller eyes, except for my Kurumi, who really does look best in the big ones.

18. I do! I usually put eyes that are one size smaller than the suggested one in my dolls, though sometimes I go with the standard size.

19. It really depends on the shape of the eye and the eyesocket. Sometimes with a smaller eye, you can see inside the doll's head. If it fit's nicely, I do prefer it over the standard or larger size eyes.
      Also, I find it depends on the doll's 'age', I tend to put bigger eyes in my YoSD sized dolls and sometimes less mature MSD's, where I put smaller eyes in the more mature looking ones, as long as they don't have huge anime eyes like my dark elf soo, she looks scary with smaller eyes ;)

20. Yeah, I prefer smaller eyes...though I am yet to get my own doll...i will be getting a pair of around 14mm eyes :)