1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone prefer SMALLER eyes?

Apr 5, 2009

1. I surely prefer smaller eyes because they look more like human eyes. My Soom Lazule wears 12 mm instead of 14 mm and it looks really natural.

2. I prefer smaller eyes too. They look more real, otherwise they look like they don't really look at anything. They look more real with smaller eyes :) I'm happy to see that other people prefer smaller eyes too.

3. I prefer small eyes, so I can see the white side of the eye. Besides, I like dolls with a normal sized eyes. I mean, not very big eyeholes and that, but more human like. It depends on people's likes and that.

4. My Faye came with default 16mm eyes but I've changed it down to 14mm since I find smaller eyes to hold more expression other than "I have big, innocent eyes." Besides, it's more obvious whether they are looking right or left--the larger eyes seem to limit the BJD's direction of gaze since it fills the eye-well more.

5. I prefer smaller eyes because you can see the white of the eyes and it makes the doll a little more mature. That being said it really depends on the eyeshape like ThinkPink! mentioned. Both of my Volks dolls have their original size eyes, because anything smaller didn't fit well.

6. It really depends on the doll~ I love big eyes in my girl, but I've seen really lovely smaller eyes in other people's dolls. I agree that smaller eyes look more natural and more mature.

7. I always take a size smaller. My dolls are all mature and I love the look and realism it adds.
      When my bobobie Rachael wore 18mm eyes (and big eyes they were) even if I turned the eyes other ways, she still looked frightened. So I put 16mm in there and those were perfect.

8. I usually prefer smaller eyes, but it all depends on the character of the doll. I really dislike the HUGE unreallistic eyes, though. They creep me out... O.O

9. To me I t all depends on the doll. Some i like with smaller eyes and some with bigger ones. But i agree that the smaller eyes tend to make a doll look more real, course the big eyes add to the "cuteness" factor.

10. What about two sizes smaller? Is it possible to put on a 12mm on doll which it is suggested for 16mm?

Can someone show me how it would look like?

11. I almost always go a size smaller. There's something almost TOO doll-like about large irises to me. I find that smaller eyes tend to be more expressive as well, the focus more pointed. Like there's a bit of life/intelligence lurking in them.

12. I'm planning to get smaller eyes for my doll ^^
      There is not much difference when I tried a size smaller for him ^__^

When I saw 12mm compared to 14mm eye there seems to be a big difference compared to 14mm and 16mm where there is slight difference. It also probably depends on the eye shape of the doll.

13. For me it usually depends on the doll:
      my R.Dillui always wears 18mm...they look fine and I wouldn't change them.
      my MSD wears 14mm not 16mm. (however the 14mms I tried on my volks MSD barely fit his eyewells and didn't look right...I've never settled into a perfect eye for him)
      I prefer 16mms on my Angel Elf Soo.

14. Honestly I prefer smaller eyes. I have some 16mm ones for the SDs I have now and they are just looking way too big. I think I might have to downsize to 14 or 12 because there is just no white of the eye with them and you can barely tell where they're looking when you want to change the eye positions >.<

Though I generally get sculpts that tend to lend to smaller eyes. The GIANT eye sockets just never did it for me. ^_^;

15. I prefer smaller ones, but I'm having trouble tracking some suitable ones down for my girl. Luts recommended 18mm for their SDF Eveline, which I found way too big, so right now she's wearing 16mm ones. They're gorgeous but there's a small gap on the side because of the dome... Also, I still find them a bit big.
      So yesterday I ordered the 16mm "realistic" eyes from dollmore, just to see how that could look.

Well, and if that ends up looking weird (which it might - I get the feeling the iris might be too small on those) I'll just have to keep looking.
      Does anyone know a place where I can get 16 or 18mm eyes with a slightly smaller iris than normal?

16. how about 18/9s Pepper? (you can get those from Everpurple...probably other eye companies too) There's also the option of 17mm from Masterpiece...that might work.

17. Thank you, I'll check those out :)

18. I don't think I have a real preference for eye size. If the doll have large eyes and looks amazing, then awesome! Lol. But I am more fond of males with smaller eyes. Like, my girly Citlali, her eyes are 18mm, which I don't mind. I lurv her. But the boy I'm saving for, his eyes are 16mm.
      But one thing that kinda bothers me, is there doesn't seem to be as much variety in 18mm eyes, I think. I always seem to find more eyes in 16mm or like 14mm.. XDD

19. Huge eyes look fake to me. And I get these dolls for their realism.

20. I also prefer smaller eyes for realism. I don't really like the "childlike" or "anime" character that huge eyes give to the dolls. There are a few sculpts with huge eyeholes that really call for a large eye (I'm thinking of Volks Suzuna) but a little of that goes a long way with me.