1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone prefer SMALLER eyes?

Apr 5, 2009

1. I have two MSD-sized dolls, and both wear their recommended size. I hate the gap that often shows up when wearing a size too small. My Rei even gapped with more round eyes in the size he's supposed to take. I also really hate the O.O shocked expression that a doll can get with eyes too small and there's too much white.... My boy is already too creepy with his eyes when you can pinpoint exactly where he's looking (most often at YOU).

Now, SD's are a whole 'nother can of of worms. My one SD head wears eyes a size too small, and I like it better because he looks more adult and mature. I think it's a trend I'll stick to unless the sculpt is such that a size too small gets gaps. I'd rather have over-sized eyes than stare into the inside of my doll's head through the corner of the eye-socket. That's just creepy.

2. Yes, I like smaller eyes in my dolls. I like to see a bit of white, more like what you'd see in humans, rather than HUGE irises that take up the whole eye. I like my dolls to look a bit older, rather than young and big-eyed, even my tinies (I have more mature-like tinies).

I have 16mm in my large dolls who usually take 18mm. I have 14mm in my Larger-large. I go as small as I can go without having huge gaps in the eye-wells.

The only exception is with anthro dolls--mostly because they are supposed to have no whites showing!!! And I don't mind them looking cute and young.

3. I also prefer smaller eyes (both the eye socket itself, and also the eye), and depending on the sculpt, of course, usually go about a size smaller than "default". However, I do try to avoid "eye gap", so sometimes may go with the recommended default size to avoid this. I find that the smaller the eye socket / eye itself, the more mature and realistic it looks to me.

4. Depends entirely upon the sculpt. Love 'em all.

5. I actually go smaller as well.

My Mo and Chiwoo both have 12mm eyes! I like them to have a lot of the white showing in their eyes. It just makes them look better in my opinion.

I either like to go for 12mm-14mm. I don't really like going beyond 14mm for my MSDs. I'm actually wanting to get my Tiny smaller eyes, but I cannot tell what size he has now. I think he has 10-12mm... not sure.

But yes I prefer at leat 2 to 4 sizes smaller. =D

6. I prefer smaller eyes I have slim mature MSDs and IMO bigger eyes makes them more childlike. I use Eyeco soft glass eyes theire flexible so no gaps showing.

7. I like to have smaller eyes. I think they look nicer and add more variety in the expressions the dolls can have. Larger eyes usually just make mine look surprised all the time, which is not what I'm going for most of the time, if ever.

8. I really love small eyes on my dolls, it seems that having more "white" on the eyes gives the doll a lot more of strong personality. I usually go one size down the company says. Also, having small eyes you can move the direction you want without looking weird.
      I don't like to see all the iris (well except animetic eyes :sweat) so smaller eyes are OK most of the times.
      More than looking for smaller or bigger eyes, it's better to go for the eyesize that fits the character and the mold better :)

9. I'm a smaller eyes type person.
      For Hakon my Johnny Depp Minimee he only has 12mm (DiM says either 12 or 14) and one pair of 13mm but those I don't like for any of my dolls because the pupils are not black enough.
      For my Shiwoo LTF, 12mm looks WAY too bug eyed in her. I don't have a pair of 16mm to test out the difference so I may buy a cheap acrylic pair just to see if I can stand 16 rather than her usual 14.
      For my Limwha ToYou I desperately want something smaller than 6mm. (Yes I'm crazy! :D ) Or those eyes from DDE that have really small irises+pupils.

Unless the doll has a specific Anime/Manga/Cute look I'm going for I won't use larger eyes and will most likely go with the smaller of suggested sizes. Thats actually why I'm not the biggest fan of some of the dollzone dolls. TinTan, fenyo, binli, fei, filian all have a sort of droopy eyelid asestheic (ugh can't spell that word!) which I don't like unless you use a size of eye that makes it look more like their natural eye shape and less like they're sleepy.

10. No doll at home so far, but what I can tell from pictures I'll want to buy some 14mm eyes for my boy.

I think it depends on the the look you are going for your doll though and most likely the shape of the eyes too. For something I want to be more mature/serious looking I'd prefer the samller size, for a curious and more chibi-like look bigger eyes.
      Also: too small eyes make the doll stare sometimes, which is scary *shivers* and tooooo big just looks wrong.

11. I always like smaller eyes for my dolls. It's nicer to adjust the angles.
      However it's hard for me to find the suitables ones. For example, I like this particular colour but they don't offer 12mm. D=

12. It depends on the doll -both its sculpt and the character I choose to portray through it- but it also depends on the eyes, too! There is a lot of variation between types of eyes, and while a 12mm silicon might be peachy on a doll, in glass 14mm may be preferable - or possibly the reverse, as well.

I really dislike when eyes 'gap' so that is my biggest consideration when choosing size. On feline eyes, I find too much white unnatural and 'panicky'-looking, but too large an eye may make the special pupil hard to see, so it's a bit of guesswork and balancing. Of all my dolls, I would say only one of them I am 100% satisfied with the eyes - but I'd better be...

...I bought the eyes first, then chose the doll to fit them :doh

13. Well, at least I'm not crazy. My RS/BBB An came with 16mm, but I changed them out no long after at a doll meet because another dollie person gave me some great ice-y blue ones that are perfect for him, in a size 14mm, which is what I wanted.

My Mo-2 boy is still wearing the spare 16mm eyes, but they're temporary in him, but they are lighter than the purple glass 16's that came in him, so they don't look too horrible. Sooner or later I'll get his gray ones, in a size 14mm and a 12mm, and see what I like better.

I have seen both sizes in the DZ Mo's, and I like them both, so we'll see what suits.

Large eyes just seem so.... blank. You can't tell if they're looking in any particular direction because there isn't enough white exposed to show the direction, especially if you have an eye that has a pupil nearly the same shade as the iris. It bugs me, but then again I mostly like dolls with narrow-ish eyes. Large eyes would just take up too much room.

14. I generally prefer smaller eyes on dolls as well. It just looks so much more natural when you can see the whites.
      Also, maybe I'm crazy, but when I look at the official Volks site, one thing that turns me off from their basic molds is that the eyes they show them having are HUGE! They look like they have big hamster eyes... I think they would look so much better if they showed them with smaller eyes.

15. this is depend on different people and different culture, larger and smaller ,both all have the advantage and disadvantage, most important is your feeling ,and you like what. the smaller is difficult to make

16. I don't know why, but the large eyes thing is really hit and miss with me. They sometimes look good in the company photos, where the dolls usually have larger eyes than I would prefer, but in real life the eyes just look too vacant and un-expressive to me...

I usually go 1-2 sizes smaller than recommended and I also like to play with my doll's eyes and change their position. I usually make them staring off to the side, because it really creeps me out when the doll just stares ahead like "O__O"

Larger eyes that stare ahead also make the doll less photogenic because you can't get the effect of them looking into the camera, or gazing into the distance like a real person.

17. O___O <-- Lmao

Thats cool dissonant I have to try when my girl gets here to see if I got the right eyes for her. I think she will come with the stock 16mm eyes

~Mark

18. Like you, I prefer smaller eyes. I'm not sure why but I think it's because to me the dolls with smaller eyes seem more mature.

19. It sort of depends on the doll, but in general I like them to have relatively normal-sized eyes. The ones with the HUUUGE anime-esque eyesockets really scare me sometimes. (says the owner of 3 blythes.)

20. I think smaller eyes r great!!! Mostly it depends on the doll too. Some dolls just look way cuter with big eyes. I like smaller eyes because they look way more realistic.