1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone prefer SMALLER eyes?

Apr 5, 2009

1. I don't like the anime dolls with the huge eyes, I don't find them pretty at all. And a doll that I've had for years is bring put into another doll because I don't like his eye size anymore.

He wear 18mm while all my other dolls wear between 14mm-16mm.

2. I think 16 mm is the maximum for SD...... And tender eyes look better with 14 mm..... That's just my taste btw.... I don't really like wide childish style eyes :)

3. I like smaller eyes as well. My girl came with smaller eyes that I adored, but when I changed her eyes out to bigger ones just to see how they looked, I just didn't like them as much. I think it's also partially because she's a very realistically-styled doll, so the outlandish eyes just look beyond unnatural. I think it works better for the more "Cartoony" sculpts.

4. My (tiny) Hana's eyes are currently too big - all the ones she came with were (14mm) - and unless I put the orange ones in (not quite the look I'm going for), it's really hard to get a pic of her without it looking like she's got black eyes or empty sockets at first glance, she's got to be looking right into the light, since there's so little white at the corners. She's got very round eyeholes, so I'm not sure if I go much smaller, they might look weird? Maybe it's best to just put lighter eyes in. I've ordered her some smaller, lighter ones anyways, we'll see how she looks best.

5. I tend more towards smaller eyes. My AOD Rao came with very large, very dark eyes, so basically her entire eye, except for a couple dots at the corners, is entirely black. I'm not terribly fond of it, so I ordered her smaller eyes. I don't like the look of a huge iris, it makes the doll look a little creepy, or just too young.

6. In terms of sculpt, I'm quite alright with dolls with large eyes, just not too large that it'll look alien-ish. Doll sculpt with smaller eyes tend to have a more mature/realistic look, which is appealing to me. However, when I look through the consistency of how my dolls will look like together, I gave up thinking and just buy the dolls with sculpts I really like.

In terms of eyes sizes, I tend to put smaller size for my dolls, I did try the recommended sizes and even larger sizes, but in the end, the smaller sizes won.

7. My Afra has the largest eyes of any of my boys, except possibly the Miho. I like big eyes but ones that are in proportion to the face. I don't care for large round anime eyes. One reason I bought my Megi was the droopy eyes. And while DZ says he takes 16mm I like him much better in 14s.

8. I do prefer smaller eyes on a doll, but it depends on the face shape too. Some dolls look really beautiful with larger eyes.

9. I prefer to buy small iris eyes-- getting smaller than recommended eyes can be risky.

10. I always prefer dolls with smaller eyes, and usually I fit my boys with the size below their recommended size. I find it looks more realistic, more expressive and helps the doll to look more 'alive,' whereas big eyes (at least to me) tend to make the doll look more . . . well, doll-like and childish and unnatural, which I don't find appealing at all. Dolls with big eyes tend to have that glassy, staring effect that creeps me out.

I think overall it's just because I prefer those dolls who have a more mature look about them. :)

11. I've foind I prefer the smaller iris eyes. I like the softglass eyes in the odd sizes for this reason...seem to fit the socket better but without too much iris for the socket. I too prefer the more mature and realistic looking dolls and this helps alot in contributing to that look.:)

12. I definitely prefer smaller sizes. I sized my Bory down to 14mm immediately, and searched all over for 16mm for my Namu. They look more intelligent and alert with the smaller eyes.

13. somehow bigger eyes also makes doll looks really weird... they need more white space in their eyes @_@

(sorry OT) skadi: wow! fellow jakarta-ers! Glad I met someone from my country ^0^

14. I personally prefer more realistic proportions than not so I definitely prefer the eyes not be way out of scale, the bigger they are in proportion to the rest of the head the less I like it :(

15. I think it depends on the sculpt. I think very stylized, big-eyed sculpts tend to look shocked/scared/angry with smaller eyes, whereas the more realistic ones look.... like they're on drugs with bigger ones.

For example, my Bory wears 16 mm eyes, and he looks very alive and calm (even calculating sometimes.... ) with the Droprops he's got in. I tried putting in 14 mm eyes and pulled them right back out because he looked like he just saw something atrocious. But then again, the eyes Luts sends them with have got ginormo irises, so yeah, they don't look too good either....

But my bigger Lati head wears my Lati Rei's 12 mm eyes, and even though they're a bit smaller than recommended, they look better, because he's a more realistic sculpt.

16. I'm normally using smaller eyes ^^'

I have four guys here at the moment, 45cm, 61cm and two around 70-72cm.
      Except the guy around 61cm they have all 14mm eyes and I would give him 14mm eyes too when I would find a good pair for him <D'

But it always depends on the mold and the character/gender/age/size.

17. I definitely prefer smaller eyes. It's my opinion, and I could be terribly wrong, but out the few dolls I've been in contact with, the ones with smaller eyes seem to be easier to create multiple expressions with through photography. I'm definitely not saying you can't with the bigger eyes, especially since I've only even messed with one of that criteria. As stated, for me, it just seems easier.

I also tend to sway towards the more human-esque socket size. Big eye sockets are cute, but not my cup of tea for the most part.

18. You should get small light colored glass eyes or volks metallic eyes. :aheartbea They'll catch the light better, especially in photos.

19. When I get the Mini dolls that I want, I plan to give them 14mm eyes instead of the recommended 16mm, because I think that would look nicer on them. I think 16mm looks good too, very cute, but it makes them look too young for me. Also, for some reason I very much like it when you see enough of the eye/iris that you can make out the 'circle shape' of it, for the most part, instead of some kind of half-circle, but I really dislike when any whites are showing directly above or below the eye/iris.

Though when it comes to the smaller sized dolls that I want to get eventually, I feel like slightly larger eyes is better. Or, more like sticking to their recommended 14mm eyes, which looks very big on them naturally. It gives them far more of a youthful childish look, so I feel that it suits them better :shrug: . Also, since the dolls I want are all supposed to scale/look consistent together, it would make sense that they all have the same sized eyes, right XD ? In real life, eye size doesn't actually vary that much in humans! I think... ^^;

So I guess I'm a little bit for either side.

ali

20. I originally bought some nice 16mm soom eyes for my Gentle Soori because iple had originally placed 16mm acrylic eyes in him. However, I've noticed that the iris takes up so much space in his eye. It is very difficult to photograph him here he doesnt look crosseyed or dazed. @o@