1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone prefer SMALLER eyes?

Apr 5, 2009

1. i don't think thats strange I like a smaller eye too I think that it depends a lot on what you are doing for and also to some extent the sex of the doll....I think esp with MSD boys I prefer a smaller eye because the wide eyed look makes them look younger and more naive or blank like you said were sometimes the MSD girls look better with a larger eye if the owner is going for a more innoccent look

2. I find eyes smaller like real human eye's proportion is to the face, is more pretty than non-realistic big eyes.

3. I'd go with smaller eyes as well. Looks more real and less bug-eyed cutsie. But really, I think everyone has their own look for their doll. Larger normally looks younger, as well as more soft and a lighter look.
      For my girl and future boy I want smaller because theur characters are more intense and slightly unaproachable. Position of the eyes changes the look too though.

4. I like smaller eyes in general, too... My msd has 10s in, although he came with 14s. They just didn't look right in. I generally like the dolls to look a little older, though, so that's part of it.

5. I love the look smaller eyes give. My girl looks a little more alert with the 14mm eyes than with the suggested 16mm. It's not a huge change but it's enough to make a difference.

6. It depends on the doll, for me. If I want the doll to look more realistic and mature, I will give it eyes a size smaller. :) However, I tend to prefer larger eyes.

7. The only doll I plan to have larger eyes in will end up being a DoC Si, and that's because the character is a shape-shifter tiger, so he would have bigger eyes. Thankfully I am already in possession of his eyes, they're just sort of hanging around in Tanso's doll box. XD

Otherwise, I have 14mm in both my MSD's right now, a pair of lovely customs for Tanso and some I got from a doll meet for free from a friend for Liina. They're lovely too, and the perfect sizes. They both came with 16mm and that was just too darn much iris for their sockets.

8. I like smaller eyes in my dolls, too (14-16mm is my preference). Even my ones that are supposed to wear bigger sizes, like 18mm, are pretty much all in 16mm.

9. I prefer smaller eyes because the aesthetic I prefer is the more realistic one. My current dolls and the ones I plan to get have what are considered "realistic" proportions in the doll world. I was pretty shocked when I found out that Supia Rosy came with 16mm eyes as a default since she has such small eyes. I have 12mm in her, and I much prefer the look. I have 14mm eyes in my boy because he's intended to look a little more innocent, though I'm thinking of switching to 12mm for him too.

10. My MA Rex has fairly small eyes, 14 mm and i wouldn't want him to have any bigger eyes. Ofc big eyed dolls can be cute, but i like the more natural "human" look and it fits his model good.

11. it depends.. when the eyes are too small they look permanently terrified.. but now that i think of it, all my dolls have pretty big eyes..

12. I tend to prefer smaller sizes on my dolls as well. Kimimaro (a KD Ani boy) has 14mm eyes in, after I thought the 16mm were too big on him....you should have seen him when I first got him and all I had were 18mm eyes! He looked like an alien because there was so little whites visible! :lol:

Yuriko is wearing those 18mm eyes now, but I'm thinking of putting her in 16mm...if they don't fit the eyewell, though, I might see about getting Masterpiece eyes with the odd-numbered sizes because the whites are larger.

13. I used to like really big eyes, but after getting my first smaller eyed doll, a Soom Dia, I think smaller eyes are much prettier, they look more human and less alien like. So now I'm vamping all of my dolls to have smaller eyes. Except for the babies in the group since babies tend to have relatively large eyes to the rest of their face.

14. I know I do. It always bugs me when I can hardly see the white of a doll's eyes. My Shushu came with 16mms but I switched them out immediately for 14mms. Her originals made her look very childlike, which I found pretty strange in a mature sculpt (body-wise anyway) like hers.
      Sizing down doesn't always work though, as a lot of the time the inside of the doll's head will show through if the eyes you're using are too small. Dollmore makes eyes with small irises, but I'd really like if you could get eyes like EDs or Mystics in smaller iris sizes too.
      It really depends on the doll. Some moulds look tend to look better with large eyes, like Volks MSDs, and others with small, like Dollshes, but that isn't always true, 'cause I've seen some great small-eyed MSDs before.
      My $0.02.

(sorry for the word wall :s)

15. I don't like a smaller eye socket- but I do prefer a smaller eye size. I also have an An (from Bobobie) and he came with huge blue 16mm eyes- I really didn't like them, so now he's got these lovely 14mm ones as well- and they look faaaaar better. I don't buy eyes larger then 14mm generally, because really, my entire collection (save for Morghan) wears that size, and they all look better for it.
      I hate that wide eyed O__O look that dolls get when their eyes are too big- I find that they're much more expressive when their eyes are smaller.
      I keep my Unoa (Morghan) eye's a bit large I think- his default is 12mm, and I personally think I could probably go down to 10 or 8 and be okay with him, I'm going to try it and see eventually.

16. I'm still preferring smaller ones - I've got my DZ Mo using 12mm, and will be putting 12mm in my Minifee Woosoo also. I actually have 14mm in my (modded dreaming) Delf El at the moment! They're too small in size, but with careful placing the gaps aren't too visible. The iris size looks nice, though. I've ordered him some 16mm ones that will sit better, but the 14's will do fine while I'm waiting. I have no one using bigger than 16mm.

17. For actual eye size, it depends on the character. Yoru's eyes are smaller than recommended, but my Yo-SD is going to have eyes that look too big for his head. ^_^;

Socket-wise, my dream doll has eyes that are mostly closed, and it's HOT. XD I never understood those who bought the Hong and opened his eyes! What's the point?

18. << I don't see the point of a doll with its eyes closed, so I can understand the desire to open the eyes. Eyes are what give it expression, if it's fixed in a 'sleeping' expression.... Then you're not getting much out of it.

I really like my dolls with narrower eyes, like my Mo boy, but I occasionally find the bigger-eyed sculpts pretty, with small eyes in them My BBB An wears 14's, like I said.

19. It depends on the doll. I bought a Rosette Marguerite and swapped the 12mm Soom eyes for some 11mm eyeco. I posted a photo and everyone liked the smaller eyes. It made them appear more realistic. Six months later, I buy another doll and rosette appear to be in the process of putting smaller eyes in their doll. I do a split with another girl and get her hair/eyes and one lot are smaller. Most of my dolls are fairly realistic so the smaller eyes work well. With the anime, I generally prefer larger eyes.

20. Most of my guys have large eyes so I stick with that aesthetic to gain a unified look throughout my crew... that said, my Hazy has small eyes and she stands out and looks really great I think :) Fortunately there's a good reason in her backstory for her having smaller eyes than my other guys which is why I was able to 'get away with it', but without a similarly good reason I wouldn't be able to bring home a sculpt like Ryu - much as I love him - simply for the eye-size. Depending on whether you care about your dolls having a similar aesthetic or not, that can be just as much of an important point as personal taste I think.

As far as the sizes themselves, I think the size that looks right really depends on the characters: both my Els (default eye size of 18mm) have 16mm eyes, while my equally 18mm-default Shiwoo and School A stick with their default sizes despite my having seen lots of School As with 16mm eyes looking fantastic: smaller eyes wouldn't suit my character, so he gets to stick with the 18mms.