1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does asymmetry in your doll's sculpt delight or bother you?

Jul 7, 2005

1. A little asymmetry is endearing, but large, noticeable differences bother me. Several times, I've been browsing sculpts and wondered, "Why is that eye droopy?" Usually a little modding would fix the problem, though.

Perfect symmetry, on the other hand, is just. . . creepy. I'd rather have a slightly asymmetrical doll than one that was perfect!

2. This would bother me, depending on the sculpt. I think if you notice it so much that it looks like a sculpting error, that would bother me a lot. If it was slight, or just gave the doll more expression, I think I would prefer it. That seems more like it would have to be planned. So I think planned asymmetry wouldn't bother me, but accidental probably would.

3. Asymmetry would not bother me, if the doll is not expensive. In fact, I would expect it, in a way. Now, If I find the right sculpt and it ends up being really expensive and I purchase it, then I see very notable mistakes. It would bother me.

4. Personally, I like a bit of asymmetry. My Ezekiel has the slightest bit of a smirk to him, and it's endearing, I love it. As was previously stated, though, if it were a flaw or an accident, I don't know if I'd go for it.

5. I think asymmetry adds character. Human faces are not symmetrical, so I don't expect a doll's face to be.

6. I think asymmetry brings out more character. And it's okay by me. :>
      When it's not too noticeable it's ok. ^^

7. I like dolls to looks as human and real as possible so the asymmetry could elevate that.

8. It depends on what kind of asymmetry we're talking about, to be honest. I don't mind some natural-looking asymmetry because I like a degree of realism, and no 'real' face or body is perfect. I have seen (and owned) some sculpts that have horrible and noticeable asymmetry and that does bother me. Some of my Resinsoul dolls bug the crap out of me because of how unevenly cut their eye openings are. I have more than one RS doll that has one eye opening noticeably bigger than the other.

9. I like a little asymmetry; I feel it adds a bit of realism to the sculpt. I have seen studies that show people tend to prefer faces that are slightly asymmetrical over perfectly symmetrical faces. Same goes with faceups for me, where I appreciate subtle asymmetries that fit with the sculpt. However, if it is really noticeable and doesn't look natural, then it would bother me.

10. For the most part, I prefer symmetrical but a little asymmetry wouldn't bother me, as long as it isn't really obvious or unnatural. Sometimes I even like an asymmetric aspect. I find a lopsided smile or smirk to be adorable, for example. I also like asymmetrical beauty marks, freckles or moles. Those might look a bit strange if they were perfectly symmetrical. A slightly crooked nose can be charming and add character.

The place where asymmetry bugs me the most is the eyes. Eye openings that are obviously different sizes or if one is clearly higher than the other, those kind of things.

11. I've noticed asymmetry in some of my dolls' faces, but I actually really like what I've seen. As long as their features are aligned properly and in accordance with their expression, that is. One of my dolls has an eye opening that's a slightly different shape than the other, and I find it really endearing. It reminds me that someone sculpted his face by hand, and it gives him a very cute look.

12. Sorry if this has been said but I first thought Death the Kid from Soul Eater when I saw the title, lol

Anyway yes, I like things to be perfect on anything I own any really. So luckily I haven't found anything on Natsume like that. The only imperfection is my own fault, he took a tumble off my shelf and has a brown mark through his eyebrow. Good thing his wig covers it up and it sorta looks like a bad boy scar.

13. I love a little asymmetry. Too much symmetry tends to be a turn-off for me. It just starts to be creepy/and or lifeless and bland. Really terrible asymmetry is awful too though. I couldn't stand mistake type stuff like if an eye was a way different size. But a little bit of natural looking asymmetry? Love it! Makes the face so much more real and alive