1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does asymmetry in your doll's sculpt delight or bother you?

Jul 7, 2005

1. ...Mine are asymmetrical?

I've never noticed. XD

2. I love it oddly enough. I am totally obsessive about symmetry to the point that I drive my hairdresser NUTS about my hair being even (amongst other quirky things). But i think if a dolls features are slightly asymmetrical it does add to the realism. It shouldn't just jump out at you though. When I recieved Asato I had to really study his features to notice the differences but I like it. Because of it his left profile looks sad, his right profile looks like a slight smile, and so on... If they weren't asymmetrical they wouldn't do that "facial expression changing" that I think we all love so much. They would just have the same expression all the time from every angle.
      But like I said... it shouldn't jump out at you. If it's so obvious you notice it right away it would be distracting I imagine.

3. I don't really care in a way or another, my harang lips are very asymetrical but its not important, and noticable only if you look very carefully :grin:

4. Assymmetry only bothers me if it is the eye sockets. I won't buy a doll that I think has uneven eye sockets. Elsewhere, though, assymmetry can be very charming. My LovelyHouse ShinB's ears are different from one another (particularly her elf ears ... she has one set of human and one set of elf ears). I love it. I think the differences are very cute.
      I feel exactly the same. I can't stand it when two "matched" eyes have different pupil sizes! Ack!

5. I think I love Vincent's eyebrows so much because they are slightly different. (ok so that is paint not sculpt, but still asymmetry and they are his default brows) I like all the teensy little differences that only I notice. He's my baby.

6. It... varies, I think? I'm going to chime in with the rest and say that I hate asymmetrical eyes in any form. Other than that, it doesn't bother me a whole lot. Although my old F-28 was extremely asymmetrical, and it drove me up a wall... but most of that was because I was measuring him up to Lucas. (Lucas still has a slightly asymmetrical mouth, which I think is adorable.)

I think it's rather endearing. No living being is perfect, and little quirks like that make them all the more human. ^^

~Kalmia

7. ^_^ The Volks molds are generally asymmetrical... it's an endearing, human quirk. I like it. Chiharu has a delightfully crooked mouth that really suits her. I don't think I'd have her any other way.

8. I love assymmetrical mouths! They're the best. :lol: Oh, and assymmetrical eyebrows. But not eyes. Eye sockets have to be even and symmetrical for me.

9. I was wondering about this the other day. There's one company whose dolls are almost all very lopsided - once I noticed it for one of their sculpts I began noticing it more, and then it began to bother me.

Mostly it would depend on the doll. A couple of sculpts I wouldn't do without the wonkiness as it adds to the character of the doll to me.

It would depend on how much it bothered me if I was to fix it or not though! :D Slightly uneven eyes can easily be sanded out, I guess :) But if it's the whole face ... I'm not sure I'd bother.

It's true that the human face is often uneven and we base our ideals of beauty on simple mathematics and proportion, but I don't see dolls as miniature humans, I see them as representative of humans, just like cartoons are.

10. Cynthia's eye sockets are wonky. I didn't notice until I changed her eyes and tried to get them to look straight! I don't care really, it's not terribly noticeable, she doesn't look like a Picasso or anything.

11. At first Avdotya's assymetrical lower lip bugged me (she has more of a poof beneath one corner of her lower lip than the other), but then my friend pointed out that it made her look even more annoyed/irritated... and that's her exact personality! So it works. :)

12. No sculpt is going to be perfectly symetrical becuase they are sculpted, cast and finished by hand which is one of my favorite things about these dolls. It makes them more real in appearance since real people are not perfectly symetrical. Although sometimes it does make me feel like I am going crazy when I try and place the eyes as they never seem "perfect".

13. Whoa, old thread! Timeless topic. :)

I like the asymmetry, as long as it looks like the kind asymmetry you see on a human face... and not, say, the kind of asymmetry you get from badly-designed sculpts that just can't seem to line features up right.

Limho Mano has got to be the lumpiest, crookedest, least-symmetrical, most human face in dolldom that I've ever had the pleasure of painting. I spent an hour geometrically plotting out his eyebrows by the dots-and-measurements method, and then wiping them again & again when they just kept looking wrong.... As soon as I realized, "Hey, I'm not measuring crooked, his FACE is crooked", that sort of set me free to ditch the ruler & dots, and just draw in eyebrows that felt right. After that, I finished them in 20 minutes. ^^ My own eyebrows are way crooked, so I approached Mano's like I approach pencilling in my own, et voila.

(If you look down from the top of that guy's head, you can actually SEE his nose skew off to one side. I was so charmed by this that I changed Stavros's backstory, to include a few surfboard accidents & bar-brawls.)

14. I've noticed small symmetry flaws in just about every doll. It makes them more perfect than if they were symmetrical. There is a lot to be had by the change in expression one side of the face may have over the other. Sometimes the faceup can hide or accentuate those flaws. With my Hound, the faceup makes all the difference. One half of my Hound is sneering while the other half has the slightest smile. I LOVE it.

I did have a doll once who had horribly asymmetrical eyes. It was to the point that one needed a 16mm and the other an 18mm eye. It drove me crazy. I ended up modifying both eyes to correct the shape. There has to be balance. Too much asymmetry, unless done purposefully, just ends up looking sloppy.

15. No it doesn't bother me at all. I prefer it. nothing is perfect nor should it be.

16. I think a little bit of asymmetry is sweet. It might bother me a tiny bit when I'm giving the doll a face-up, but other than that one moment, I like that they aren't perfectly symmetrical.

Okay, there is one of my dolls that her asymmetry bothered me a lot when I had to give her a face-up. One of the corners of her lips had a much deeper depression than the other. I had to fiddle with it a lot to get them to look right.

17. a slight bit of asymmetry doesn't bother me, however when the doll is really wonky and lopsided it does make it harder to fit eyes.. plus you need extra care with the face up to not make it more pronounced

18. Kaesu's eyes are a little uneven; it kinda bugged me when I noticed it, but it's a pretty subtle difference so I usually don't even think about it. His eyebrows are uneven, too, but that's my fault so I can't complain. In all fairness, though, I've got the same facial asymmetry as he does, and it bothers me to about the same degree.

19. My elliott's nose is uneven, it bothered me when I first noticed it but now I think it's cute! One side of it is sculpted and other is just smooth.. maybe he broke is nose... I donno XD he isn't the type to fight!

20. I think its endearing, the tiny imperfections just seem to make the dolls more precious, and show the time taken to make each one.