1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does asymmetry in your doll's sculpt delight or bother you?

Jul 7, 2005

1. I think asymmetrical done on purpose is good, but on the other hand... if it's out of carelessness and pretty noticeable than I think it would bother me to no end. :/

2. It bothers me. When I see some of Volks' headmolds it drives me crazy that they're kinda crooked! I know that real humans are like that too but...I'm not really buying a doll to make it human, though the realism is nice, I just want everything to be nice and straight and symmetrical ^^;

3. I love the fact that my Iru's head is asymmetrical all over. It doesn't really show when he wears a wig, but when he doesn't, you can clearly see his whole head is crooked. Compared to him, my SwD Lucas is the definition of symmetry.
      My Peroth's right eye is slightly smaller than his left, but I don't mind. It gives him character.

I think I'd be freaked out when I'd see a completely symmetrical face. It's unnatural, almost robotic. I'd like my crew to be looking "alive".

4. If it's intended, then asymmetry can look fantastic! :) However, as said above, if it's asymmetry due to carelessness...then it might even bother me enough to sell the doll (unless it was something that could be modded). All I would be able to see when I saw the doll was the asymmetry :(
      If it's someone else's doll, it really doesn't bother me...but if it's my own... O.o;

5. I don't mind it, except in the eyes. It's a royal pain to have one eye fit nicely with the pupil slightly eclipsed but the other eye socket is so much larger your only choice is either deer-in-the-headlights centered pupil or a wide swath of white showing under the iris.

Human faces may be asymmetrical, but they are also always (almost) in motion, so we seldom notice the irregularities. Once you freeze a head in position, though, that's different.

6. My first doll head was sold due to asymmetry. I don't find it endearing at all.

They say the most attractive people are the ones with the most symmetry, so....

But things like asymmetical eyelashes or eyebrows aren't a big deal. Or lips that are smirking. But eyes being uneven. Noses being bigger on one side than the other. Yeah, not for me!

7. I like asymmetry on my dolls because it makes them look
      less "mechanical/mass-produced/toy-like," to me. It also adds
      to the 'human-esque' quality, that I tend to appreciate in any sculpt.

Like JennyNemesis mentioned, Limho Mano is probably one of the
      least symmetrical sculpts out there, and I love it because of it -- crooked
      nose and all, it truly adds a lo to how realistic his sculpt is (IMHO).
      I agree with Ms. Nemesis, that it is one thing to have asymmetry for added realism,
      and on purpose, to make the sculpt that much more "human," and a whole
      other story to have asymmetry because the artist is not capable of placing
      features properly.

- Enzyme ^________________^

8. My Bluefairy Olive boy's jawline is just slightly bigger on the left, and I'm sure other BF owners have noticed the boy body's discrepancies on the thighs, forearms, and ankles. But I love him just the same, perhaps more so, because in real life, people are lopsided.

There's an added character bonus as well.

Because his left arm poses better than his right (a problem with joint spacing), it's his character to be left-handed ^^

9. I only really noticed the assymmetry in my doll's headsculpt when I was painting it. It was very subtle, and I believe I would have never noticed if I hadn't spent so much time staring at his face so closely, trying to make the faceup symmetrical. It doesn't bother me because the difference in the sides of his face is so minute anyway, and it might have even been a trick of the light, since i was working next to the window during the day with fluorescent overhead lighting to boot.
      Then there's the obvious little lip curl on the right side of his face that's not so strong on the left side, which I love, it can make him look sarcastic and smirky :)

10. I do not believe there is a single doll on the current BJD market that is perfectly symmetrical. There are some that are less symmetrical and some that are more, but due to their nature of being hand-sculpted and hand-made and all - it's simply impossible to make them be perfectly symmetrical.

That being said - my boy is pretty darn symmetrical. The only minor flaw (noticeable only when brought to a mirror) is the fold under his eye - one curves up a bit earlier than the other.... But it gives him a tiny squinty look, which I absolutely adore.

As long as the asymmetry isn't glaringly obvious, it doesn't bother me in the least.

11. It depends on the degree and if it affects things like eye position etc. A little I think adds interest. A little more kinda bugs me but i can work with it or adapt- a lot is not my cup of tea. Some people really dig it though so there is room for all :)
      QZ

12. For me, it really depends on the sculpt...
      My Yo Tenshi Yuh is very lopsided, I think it gives him a lot of character XD

but what bugs me even more than an asymmetrical sculpt... are obviously asymmetrical eyebrows. Unless it's a winking doll, or a doll with an expression where one eyebrow *should* be lower/higher than the other... I want them to be as close to symmetrical as possible.

13. Yes, it bothers me a little. And it annoys me when I'm doing a face-up!

14. Asymetrical eye rims are the worst. Upper and lower.

15. My dollzone cherry is a bit asymmetric. It doesn't bother me much, unless I am doing her face-up! Then I want it to be symmetric, but I find that hard when the mold is not.

At the face-ups of my dolls itself, I try to make it as symmetic as I can. If there is a slight, slight difference that is hardly noticeable, it doesn't bother me.
      So I have a hard time doing eyebrows.

16. it bothers me more on more stylised dolls than it does on more realistics ones, I guess on the more realistic ones I'm not looking for perfection I'm looking for realism (duh!)

I love looking at my jina head from bizzare angles, even though shes symetical at a glance if you look at her top down then you can see how shes a little wonky, I think it adds to her realism

17. Asymmetric face don't bother me at all - that just makes an doll look more human, as all the people have asymmetric face.

What really bothers me, though, is my girls' legs being asymetric. Both of my girls, especially Sae, are always trying to fall down because - it seems to me - one leg is longer than the other.

18. I'm a symmetry freak, so it would have to be a very little asymmetrical detail for me to want the doll... *feels bad*

19. I really can tell if there is an asymmetry in any of my dolls. If it were noticeable I think it would irk me a little.

20. I am an oddball in the BJD world. Too much symmetry bothers me after a while. It's cookie-cutter and, in excess, disturbing to my senses.

I have had a problem in at least one art museum (showing art from medieval and pre-medieval times where the proportions and layout of the paintings were calculated mathematically to achieve "perfection" and give glory to God according to the art standards of that time) where I became bothered and almost had to leave due to the amount of symmetry in the art.

I don't like completely lopsided dolls either but I do like just enough asymmetry that it resembles a human face. My own face is noticeably asymmetric - I have different sized eyes and so did my father - so perhaps that has something to do with my feelings.