1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does asymmetry in your doll's sculpt delight or bother you?

Jul 7, 2005

1. My Tony has pretty asymmetrical lips if looked at closely. But I don't mind it, and I love him dearly all the same.

2. ...I noticed that Saif's eyes are a tad different from each other, but it's not really obvious (seeing as it took me 4 months to notice...)

I can take a little asymmetry, but if it is really big, like if the eyes aren't even horizontally or something.

3. extremely. i was looking at some angell studio dolls and for some reason all of the photos seem like the heads are not symetrical. it drives me nuts. a friend of mine got a DIM angelo head and i was about to buy one when she showed me that one nostril is more flared than the other.

I'm rather obsessed with things being even, level, and balanced, (minor OCD), so I can't really handle it.

4. I think that is what gives the dolls a bit of their charm, in knowing that they are not just some squirt-into-a-mold, mass-produced, trashy plaything. some artist must have put a lot of effort into making that doll, and knowing that there is not one truly like it anywhere else, giving it that sense of individuality and uniqueness, it should be all the more special to the owner.

But yeah, isnt it crazy annoying about the eye white thing!!!

5. Well, it bothers me a bit....lol.. because of my own very asymmetrical features especially my eyebrows!!!(just take a look at how my right eyebrow is way higher than the left)....I love even eyebrows on dolls...I try very hard to get them right, but somehow they always end up weird! I have to use a template to get them even......
      My Dollstown Elysia has a very asymmetric face, one side is fuller than the other...I guess I am a perfectionist....:roll: But I guess it gives a more "human" apperance to the doll's features.....I can put up with it....;)

xen :)

6. I don't mind a little asymmetry, it makes them more realistic, humans aren't perfectly symmetrical, just as long as it doesn't interfere with posing. It's not my Soulkid Apple's wonky face that bugs me, it's the fact that her neck hole also isn't centered so her head tilts one way quite happily but doesn't like sitting straight and has restricted tilt the other way.

7. Only when it's stuff like one of the eyes will never sit anything like the other because the resin is thicker in one eye socket. Or something. I think a little bit of asymmetry makes them look just a tad bit more realistic.

8. Depends. Small things like a corner of the mouth being higher, eyes slightly different shape, I think I can deal with that. But to a point.

I had a DM Asha head for a while and I noticed that the bridge of the nose was not centered! It was off to the side. D: Same with the mouth, but in the other direction. The septum and nose were not aligning properly with the bottom lip/chin area and it bugged me tremendously. You can see it a bit here; the bridge is closer to his left eye. >< I sold that head.

9. If it's really glaring, it bothers me. There are all sorts of little asymmetries in the dolls I own, but nothing out of the ordinary. But I've actually fallen out of love with dolls I once wanted because of big examples of this. I wanted a Volks Amelia until I noticed the lips are droopy on one side. Now I have trouble just looking at pictures of the doll!

10. It depends on how big the asymmatry is.
      Us humans are probably not 100% symmetric either, so a bit of unevenness in dolls just add to their lifelikeness in my eyes.

- karina

11. I actually like the tiny diferences in the doll molds, it makes them more real to have their own personal "flaws"

12. TBH, I'd be surprised if they were totally symmetrical, and I probably wouldn't like one that was. I'm sure perfect mirror image features would look odd to my eye, it's just unnatural, and it's the realism that appeals to me.

13. When I look at my migidoll ryu's head in the mirror, his entire face is assymetrical, from his chin to his eye shape and placement. It puzzles me, because I can't see these differences when I look at him normally. It's not bothersome, because he's gorgeous, but it would be if I stared at his reflection all day.

14. Asymmetry used to bother me a lot. However, after owning dolls for a few years now, I've found that crooked features in some of my dolls is really endearing, and gives them different expressions depending on the angle from which I take pictures.

I'm still a little put off by eyes that are unequal sizes. For example, when Volks Reisner was released, I absolutely loved him, though his slightly smaller right eye definitely irked me a bit. (I got around this by buying a modded head that had had the eyes evened out by the customizer. ;))

I totally love the crooked mouths of my Tohya, F16, Irvin, and Cecile, though, because they can look sly, smiley, or amused from one direction, and frowny, sad, or contemplative from another. <3

15. It drives me insane when I notice asymmetry. I'm kinna ocd about things like that. I wont even look at myself in the mirror if I have asymmetrical pimples or a black eye or something. :P

16. It will bother me that is sure... but at the same it will make me happy becasue it will make it "unique" :D
      It make us all the different and make the BJDs different too so that is good =w=

17. They do not bother to the sense that I will not buy a doll.

In fact, one of my favorite mold Volks F16 has a majorly lopsided cheek. I am in love with that face so much that I have two F16 and a Chris. Since I never really take frontal pictures of my boys, it is never an issue.

And by reading the above posts, I just realized that the asymmetry does add different expressions to the doll - when you are taking pictures from different angles. This is very true and I really appreciate this. I think this is the reason why I love them so much

18. I used to sculpt artdolls and I was a stickler on getting the face as symetrical as I could, and I know the human face isn't totally symetrical...but I used a mirror to make sure everything lined up to my liking...I wish some of the companies would use mirrors when sculpting the faces...sometimes the mouth/nose/eyes are crooked or all three seem to be leaning more to the right or left {and that depends on the sculptor's dominant side}..human faces don't do that the face isn't far off center.... and it really makes doing the faceups harder because it just never looks right.

19. It's fine if it looks fine... but it annoys me if the bjd begins to look lazy-eyed or as if they have a facial twitch. Subtle asymmetry is nice. Lopsidedness is a flaw.

Edit: Oh yes anavel, F16 is one of my favorite molds too! I've always noticed the asymmetry, but that mold is just amazing either way. ^_^

20. Oh definatly. If something looks off then it does my head in, i'm a bit of a perfectionist. The reason i've been putting off buying several dolls is because one of their eyes is slightly less open, or they're chin isn't perfectly even.

I hate myself for it xD