1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does asymmetry in your doll's sculpt delight or bother you?

Jul 7, 2005

1. I love the fact that my Beryl's eyes aren't the same shape. It's subtle, but I like it. Her nose isn't totally symetrical either... That was my fault, though, and I love her new nose better than her old nose. To me, it's a little closer to real to have little "flaws" in the faces. We, as humans, aren't perfect, and I like the fact that my doll isn't either.

2. I'm only bothered by asymmetry in my doll's sculpt because the eyes almost never look right. So... if it didn't obstruct the eyes, I wouldn't be bothered.

As long as it wasn't an enormous difference... I don't know; I guess it bothers me...

3. All of my dolls seem mostly symmetrical to me. I think it'd bother me if it was EXTREME asymmetry, like one eye is much smaller/larger than the other.

But eh. For the most part no, subtle differences wouldn't bother me.

4. The human face IS asymmetrical.check in the mirror.usually one eye larger than the other or one eyebrow is shaped different.

5. It doesn't really bother me much when they have a face-up, I see it as something of the artists personal touch, and it's more realistic as well.
      When it's just the blank sculpt it's kind of weird if I can notice it easily, but it doesn't really 'bother' me.
      My Bisou Ai Bonbon has an asymmetrical sculpt, and I notice it A LOT when she's blank, but otherwise, she's just adorable and symmetry or lack of symmetry or whatever is not something that I think a lot about.

6. It bothers me if I notice it right away, and not being picky or anything, but if a face is too lopsided I put it down to sloppiness. There are measuring tools used for sculpting, and it seems in some cases they could have been put to good use.

7. The thing that bothers me about it is that it makes it harder to do a symmetrical face-up and make the eyes look at the same direction. What I like is that it makes the doll(s) look more human. ^_^

8. Since the human face isn't symetrical, it certainly doesn't bother me if doll faces aren't either, especially the more realistic ones as it simply makes them look more real. If you're sculpting from life there's always going to be assymetry as that's just the way it is. All those subtle realistic differences really appeal to me.

9. Sometimes it does bother me. When one eye is done crookedly for example. there goes my ocd-ness again. :S

10. When you are a doll company/sculptor and you know that you are sculpting these goods to be sold for as much money as you know you will be asking, then you strive to perfect your final piece before casting and tagging it.

As an artist and crafter I know that people will usually not pay me my standard prices for pieces that are less than perfect. It's not seen as original, it's seen as sloppy and in turn that is the same view I hold. Some find it unique, others find it to be lazy work, to each his own.

:candycane

11. I tend to find it doesn't bother me too much in 'realistic' sculpts, such as Dollstown, but in stylized sculpts such as Volks does, it better be darn perfect or I'm peeved. ^^;;

Raven

12. A few months ago I noticed my Kid DM Torrie's mouth was off to one side. I love her, I really do, I just with I could move her mouth over. Just a tiny bit. XD'''

With my DiM Arno, I had the problem... in reverse? XD'
      In the photos one of his eyes really looked bigger than the other. It didn't bother me, I got him anyway.
      In real life I can hardly tell. XD (When he's not wearing his eyepatch anyway...)

I don't mind things like slightly different size eyes or a crooked mouth, but it does bug me when all the features are skewed in a certain direction. I also second what ravendolls said. =3

I remember someone (St. James I think?) saying that Leeke Lyonne was perfectly symmetrical, like they designed him on the computer. Interesting!

13. I hate perfect, and I hate symmetry. Symmetry is what makes a doll look weird and creepy, IMO, like Barbie. Not that I don't like weird or creepy, it's just that I want my BJDs to have anime, that is the only way they are beautiful to me. To look alive asymmetry is an absolute necessity.
      The Puritans used to put a mistake in all of thier needleworks, they called it the humble stich, to remind them that only God is perfect.
      An artist does not necessarily strive for perfection and I find it funny that anyone could get huffy about "paying good money for something less than perfect." Or maybe not funny, just kind of simple. I guess at that point you aren't really viewing your BJD as an artist's piece you are looking for I don't really know what. Maybe a big resin Barbie. Just my opinion.

14. The only thing I don't like about the asymmetry in my Migi Ryu is that it's harder for me to make his eyebrows even. I've made tons of eyebrow templates over the last few months and laid them out to be exactly even, only to shade there and have them be uneven looking because one eye is just very slightly different. I had to send him off to have a faceup done before I go crazy with him, XD. It's not a bad thing, it's just that I lack experience.

15. I don't mind if it's a little bit, and I love it if it's intentional (one eye closed with a scar over it, or a subtle one sided smirk). It does bother me when it's obvious that it's just a big mistake in the sculpt though. I had this one cheapie doll for a short while to practice mods on, and one of her eyes was much higher on the face than the other. It looked really weird, kind of like a small child's artwork. I didn't like that at all.

16. YES. Well it depends. I notice them, but if its really minimal it really doesn't matter and makes it more 'human'. But I have a fetish for ears, and if one the ears looks weird I go complete nuts @_@. haha, yes, I am weird

17. I think it's cute and gives dolls personality~ However, if it's to the point where one eye is too close or too far, it kind of starts bugging me and gives me the feeling doll is 'cross-eyed'. *_*

18. Assymetry that's similar to the way a human's face is assymetrical is fantastic in my book. With that said I've seen assymetrical features on dolls that actually constituted flaws in sculpting.

19. This. Absolutely this.

Too much symmetry is unnatural in a human face, period, or in anything that resembles it, so far as I'm concerned. Granted, I know that no matter how hard I try I'm never going to make a faceup that is symmetrical, so in part, it isn't -quite- the issue it could be -- and yet, underlying features of a human face just shouldn't be symmetrical to me.

By the same token, if they are too asymmetrical, it's going to look wonky, too. There's 'natural variance', and then there's 'just didn't give a -*bleep*-', but often, the difference there is rather obvious between the two.

It also varies in terms of detail with me. I'm going to expect -- and desire -- less perfect symmetry in a more realistic and detailed head sculpt. I adore the lack of symmetry in the Minimee heads I have, for example. By contrast, if the face is a far more smooth and/or stylized one -- without the sculpted crags and crannies of a more detailed face -- I'm going to want a lot more symmetry in that face, since it's already going to look more stylized and less 'real' to me anyway.

20. I think that if a doll is really, really noticeably asymmetrical it bothers me a bit. :/ Like, if a dolls face looks like a "modern" painting, it sort of makes me think of poor craftsmanship on the sculptor's part.

I think a little asymmetry is okay with me though! In some places it can even be cute. ^__^
      Like, my girl Allura's feet are pretty much exactly the same (she doesn't really have defined left and right feet o.o), but on one paw the paw pad is longer~ I'm pretty sure it's just to show which is left and right (I never really figured it out after her first restringing XD), but even if it wasn't, I'd still consider it really cute! ^.^