1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does it bother you when They have lovers?

Oct 10, 2009

1. Its just the companies interperetation of their dolls character, much like the story another owner gives their own doll of the same sculpt will vary from yours. My yo kuuta was not at all influenced by the backstory Volks gave him, but it was cute to read.

2. Nope. I don't even give it a second thought when I read the company's background story for their doll.

For me, it makes the doll more interesting. But when they come into my household (a.k.a. after I buy them) they immediately turn into a character that I had created for them.

3. It doesn't matter to me at all. My dolls have characters that I give them--company backstories mean absolutely nothing to me. When I see a doll that looks like one of my characters I think "Oh, that's so-and-so" and never give it another thought.

4. I never really look at the stories the company make for their dolls.... The only one I care about is the one mine will have ;3

Though one thing does bother me about getting a doll.... its the relation between all the ones I already have =O
      I sometimes tell my BJD-lovah-friends that I want a new one, and the only thing they have to say is : "OH! To be *name of doll*'s boyfriend ?"
      Thats the only thing that really bothers me xD

5. It doesn't matter to me.

The companies' stories are sometimes fun to read but for the most part I completely ignore them (most often with SOOM and Volks). What some people fail to realize is that when you buy that doll, it's yours. You can do whatever you want with its backstory and character. It doesn't matter what the company created for the doll, if you want to completely change it then it's your business to do so.

If a certain company gives a doll a lover, I won't feel the need to buy the doll's lover just because the company paired them together. I buy the dolls to be my own characters and if the lover doesn't fit the character's lover, I won't buy them. I don't feel any remorse about "breaking up" the two dolls because when they come to me they are no longer the company's property and no longer part of the company's story.

6. To be honest, I don't even pay much attention to the stories that companies give their dolls. Since most of my dolls/future dolls are characters that I've created, they already have stories, so there's no reason for me to even consider anything the company says about them. ^^;

The only thing that interests me is whether a doll suits the character I'm shopping for. :3

7. I never read the backstories on the sites...though I do get turned off by really strong concepts, like super intense makeup and general fantasy vibes. I like to use my own ideas to design my doll's appearance.

8. I think it's sweet that the companies have a vision for their dolls, but once I buy it, it's MY doll and I have my own vision for them. One of the things that drew me to BJDs was the whimsy and the love that the creators had for their art.

9. I personally don't care for the company stories either. I was recently looking around at possible sculpts for my character Aura (The Angel of Blood) and her brother Dante (The Shadow of Innocence). After searching around, I finally decided upon a Dolkot Bera for Aura and a Dolkot Lai for Dante. However, while on the Lai's profile page, I happened to read the back-story and according to his company story, the Lai is the son of Bera and Amon!!!! (another Dolkot Sculpt). After I read that, my jaw kind of dropped and I was a little un-nerved about it but I told myself that it doesn't matter. Once I purchase a doll and she or he comes home, the choice is mine on what kind of character that doll is going to be. That was one of the main reasons for starting this hobby: the fact that I could bring my characters to life and further my creativity ^^.

ps: Don't get me wrong, I think it's really sweet for the companies to give their dolls each a backstory and name, but like I said, once the doll is in my care, it becomes whatever character I choose.

10. I actaully enjoy the little backstories. I'm sure it helps keep the creative drive going for the sculpters, and it really helps in advertising. It's never swayed my decision at all in which ones I want, it's the sculpts and set-up that a doll set has that get's my attention.

11. The stories are just for fun & more creativity from the side of the company , it certainly doesn't restrict anyone to use the doll according the company storyline ... plus when you buy a doll it's yours and none can tell you what to do with it,
      but anyway I don't believe companies wish to restrict anyone (it would be foolish)

I may read a company's storyline (if its interesting/fantasy or mysterious etc) & I like some of them ,it is fun , if it's not fun I just not read the story , it doesn't affect me against the doll.
      but when I get a doll I don't care for the storylines anyway & in final case if there'll be a storyline or such thing about my dolls , well then it will be mine and writen by me.

InkyBear don't worry, in iplehouse they accept and support and kindly/positive comment any creativity with their dolls ... I assure you for that!! none will be insulted , and I also believe most companies are like that in this matter.;)
      (ok with only exception maybe soom in idealian's case lol)

12. Doll's stories have never made any difference in which dolls I buy. Half the time I don't even read them & when I do, I just enjoy them for themselves. Even when I collected other dolls, the backstories had nothing to do with who the doll became once in my collection. Heck, I have enough trouble keeping up with my dolls' own stories let alone anything a manufacturer might come up with.

13. I think it's cute that company sculptors and artists love their creations so much as to give them stories. However, I generally don't pay attention to them. The language barrier often makes me want to beg for mercy and, as far as I'm concerned, once the doll comes into my possession, it is mine to do with as I wish.

Come to think of it, I don't think any of my dolls have any company stories with the exception of my incoming Soom Beyla. Not that it would matter to me either way, and I don't intend for Soom's story for Beyla to define my story.

Back to the OP:

I think your friend's issue is much larger than about preset company stories. Encourage her and help her find the doll that's for her. Don't let rude people kiill her sense of fun and imagination.

14. It doesn't matter what the company makes them, when they come home to me they become mine. :):aheartbea

15. ;) I do agree it can be cute in cases such as domadoll where she clearly does design the doll around a feeling she is expressing this is a small company with one artist and I really appreciate her love and attention. Though with the larger companies coming out with dolls every month I take the story with a pinch of salt.

16. I think the company back stories can be fun to read but I haven't let them sway my decision to get or not to get a doll.
      I either order a doll with a character already in mind or I order a doll cause I adore it and its a blank canvas for me and I work on the character as I work on the doll.

17. It seems like a lot of people who don't worry about this sort of thing already have a set character in mind whom the doll is going to portray. I get bothered about their set backstory and relationships a little bit, and it might be because I'm really trying not to give the characters I'm making for them too much characterization until I actually get them home and see what they are like. Or I'm just overly sensitive.:sweat But I don't want them to be lonely...

18. I just like reading them to see what the company had in mind, but other than that, I wouldn't let them influence me, especially since if I like one sculpt enough, I doubt that I would also like the other.

19. doll companies always make up a bit of a story about the dolls they create, none of them expect you to keep that story when you own the doll though. I buy them and never even read half those stories, I have my own characters and ideas, and am not influenced by what the company says the character is.

20. I think it inclines me to get their 'lover' as well! :XD: however, it wouldn't hurt to get just one of them. I think it's an interesting sales idea for companies to do *guilt trip you into getting them as a pair* however, I might keep some of the company's storyline for the doll. Then again, maybe not.