1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does it bother you when They have lovers?

Oct 10, 2009

1. Like most people have said, it wouldn't stop me from buying the doll. Especially if I really, really, REALLY, like the doll! I mean, if you're going to keep the doll in their default set, it might feel a bit awkward. But most people will make the doll their own. Which would take the particular doll out of the companies story and now into yours. But yeah. Means nothing to me. Plus, I don't think many of the dolls I want, if any, have lovers in the first place. XD

2. It never registered in my mind that dolls have company backstories. ._. I mean, I've read them, giggled over a few, but never really linked the 'characters' to the 'dolls'. ._.

3. Companies give stories to the dolls to appeal to our sense that the doll has "life" and giving a more personality to dolls is what appeals to most of us doll collectors. Not only that but having other dolls having a strong connection to the one doll is a marketing stragedy that makes us more likely to get the other doll. Either way I'd just go with the story I want. Although, one of the doll I have is Lisa Rubik and her "sister" is Chami, I can make her as her younger sister or younger self. So it's all in your preference.

4. you know, i've never really cared what ANYONE thinks, especially companies. it'll be MY doll, and if i want him/her to have a lover I will choose and buy him/her, it will NOT be the companies' decision. same with names and backstories and what-not.

5. I've never done more than skim the company back stories, usually they're not very interesting and don't have anything to do with what I want for the doll, so why bother?

6. I don't even read company bios. I don't want to have any sort of idea about their "character" planted in my head and only focus on the appearance of the doll if I'm looking to purchase one.

7. I don't really pay much attention to companies' stories, except to perhaps laugh at some of the more unlikely pairings - for instance, Chiwoo is supposed to be Shiwoo's big brother, but looking at the head molds Shiwoo looks decidedly the older of the two.

But when I open the box on a new doll, they are effectively a blank slate. They have no background, history, name or personality until I give them a face-up - at which point the story is mine, not the company's.

8. I don't ever pay attention to company back stories, so no, it doesn't bother me. It kind of bothers me when straight women doll owners make their boy dolls gay. I think its kind of weird.

9. That is a whooooole other topic altogether.

As for me...well, for the most part I didn't know that any of the dolls actually CAME with back stories, that's how much I notice. ^_^; I do think it's odd not to buy something you like because someone else, company or owner, views that thing in a way that you don't like. I have the same issue with anime fans who don't like certain titles or genres just because of the way fans portray them. I think that if you like something you shouldn't deny yourself, regardless of what other people think.

10. Wow, prejudice much?

11. I don't really pay attention to any stories they may already have because every doll I've bought has been renamed and made into my own character. I don't even like factory faceups, I prefer to mine to be more unique, even if they aren't as professional, I still feel like there is part of "me" in that doll. And they each get a new name, family and story.

12. same goes for me.. i can understand that a lovely story would convince you to buy a doll but if you really like the doll and "don´t" want to buy it because of a story or "lover" .. :huh?:

13. when she say the site 'gave him a lover'.
      does it mean they come together like too and bee-a from D.o.D or that the site wirtes stories about their doll and that these two were paired?
      cause if its the first option, i understand. i probably would'nt want to have that other doll. but if its the second thing, WHO CARES? i mean, her doll is probably gonna be customized differently, have a different name, story, etc.
      you may buy tender shall, does not mean she have to be a nun! (still D.o.D xD)

14. I barely read those stories and don't connect them to the doll at all. So no, I'm not bothered by it in the slightest. I only read parts of it because sometimes, companies are very good at hiding measurements... :sweat

15. The one where I had a problem was more like what Rikka_Mika said-- I didn't see a particular backstory that the company had given the two dolls, but when I saw a picture of them together, they were so right as a duo that I thought 'I would have to buy both of them! I could never get only one!'.

Maybe someday I will, although there's such a long list of dolls I love... But yeah, I can understand that side of things, totally. But I don't think a company backstory would sway me-- I usually ignore those anyway since when I look at dolls, I usually think of characters I already have (or characters that aren't mine that I love strongly enough to want to doll-ify) and which sculpt would best fit them. (But most of those characters will, of course, bug me to find and buy their lovers/siblings/kids/friends/robot servants...)

=^__^=
      Anneko

16. I don't pay any attention. I only double check gender and size (and see if they come with a wig or eyes).

17. From personal experience, a company story can indeed affect how I feel about their dolls, and for a time, I was really hesitant to buy my Volks Suiseiseki for that reason; I really thought that the anime character would reflect too much on the one I wanted for her. In all honesty, I was right about this, and it's been a little difficult to develop her own character as well as I'd like.

I could say the same for some other dolls who have stories that I like a lot, like the Volks stories, or Soom's Mecha Angels; I totally understand why someone wouldn't a doll if they can't get past a story.

18. Oh, yeah... I didn't even think about the Volks dolls that are based on characters-- that's more than just a company-given backstory, and I could see that being really hard to escape... but I haven't been too attracted to one of those... er, yet, at any rate.

=^__^=
      Anneko

19. I get it if the doll is made to look like an actual person. I have been sighing to get my hands on a volks Okita Sōji, having been a Shinsengumi fangirl for many years, but buying him for that reason I would never be able to make him into something else. Even a doll made out to look like an anime character, I think I would have problems with, and I believe I would have to modify it heavily to not asociate it with that character.
      That being said though, the companys stories would never affect my desicion to buy the doll. As someone else wronte, I read the stories once in a while just for kicks but otherwise I completely disregard them.

20. Haha! I know! At least with some of the Rozen Maidens, if they have a different hair colour than the default, I can see them as being a different character (except for Suigintou).

But Volks Chii? I don't think I could ever think of that sculpt as being anything other than Chii, ever.