1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does it bother you when They have lovers?

Oct 10, 2009

1. I don't really care about company backstories: they're cute, but they don't influence my choice any.

The only decision I make is "Do I like this doll enough to buy it or don't I?"

Phil.

2. That wouldn't stop me, because the doll changes so much on the owner's hands, but I can see how it would annoy her. It seems like the companies make great efforts to make dolls that will appeal to the widest audience (not many unusual dolls, all very "pretty", not many overly-distinctive features, all have very generic bodies, etc) and create an entirely blank canvas with each doll... and then they make up a story like that. Under the circumstances, it feels a bit like an intrusion on the buyer's creativity. It's nice to know that they imagine stories like that, but as a company, I'd personally choose to keep my imaginings to myself so the customers could imagine their own stories. (However, I've seen some specific dolls who have stories and relationships that are not out of place, but those are special cases and often unusual dolls.)

3. I think that the stories may be reasonings for the outfits the dolls are wearing in the promo pictures to get you to buy either the fullset or buy the clothes separate. At least, that's what I think from what I've seen from Luts and DOD.

But other than that, I wouldn't let it affect me.

4. x3 I suppose I've never really thought about it. Which is a bit funny, because I've literally bought pets in pairs before, because one looked sad without the other XD

It doesn't bother me, though. I like reading the stories the sites make up, but I enjoy creating my own characters with my dolls more. I don't give much thought to what other dolls relate to the one I want~

5. It depends on how defined the company's story for the doll feels. Although come to think of it, I don't have any "storyline" dolls ...

A bit about what that model's name means is fine. If they have too much story, I'll just back off. It's much easier to figure out how this doll fits into my universe than how this character fits into my universe.

6. No, I don't really read the company's stories anyways.

7. I had to stop reading the company stories. Bad translations, horrible grammar, and totally random BS, the nonsense of it just made me crazy, and those negative feelings would ruin my objectivity about the sculpt. [totally off topic] Another thing that drives me nuts are the really dark pictures all taken from practically the same angle of dolls sporting wigs that totally obscure their sculpts. How am I supposed to decide anything when all I can see is moody atmosphere?

8. Pssh, I'm with the "ignore the company's backstory" group. It makes absolutely no difference to me who they think the doll is. I know who they are, and it ain't what the company says.

9. When you bring a doll home, he/she will be based on your character, not the company's character anymore. Buy with confident, don't get affected by the company's given character. :)

10. I've never paid any attention to the company doll stories other than really enjoying the Engrish descriptions. My favorite line of all was the Elfdoll Lydia fullset who played her sad love songs on a "smelly fishy mandolin". And their doll stories don't influence my buying decisions in the slightest.

11. Usually it affects my dolls personality, like the old story was their past, but when I buy them it's like a new life, the new story begins where the old left off ^^

12. I didn't even know dolls had backstories? Wow, been in this hobby for almost 3 years and I only realized this now. Haha, then nope I guess they don't affect me at all! Talk about a duh moment, I had to go read some to get what this was about. e.e

Now that I'm in the loop; I can see how some backstories could affect a person's purchasing of said doll. Some of the stories (however bad the Engrish is) gives the dolls on display a kind of life to them and could honestly make someone see the dolls in only that light. When I bought AOD's Ruo Feng, he had this bad boy rocker vibe on the website which I was totally up for. But once my Leo got home, he was moppy and not at all rough and tough. Now I don't have characters for my dolls so this didn't bother me, but goes to show that you can't always go by what the website is harking.

I studied Graphics Design, and the things I can do with pictures in Paintshop or Photoshop is pretty sweet; and I only took 2 years of classes. The people that do the graphics for the doll websites are either A) Professional Graphic Designers or B) Someone with a darn good knowledge of those two (or similar) programs. They can manipulate any photo to fit any mood the person writing the backstory is aiming for, thus making it very plausible that someone would be so touched or intent on the doll character in the story that they feel they couldn't possibly own the doll and not keep that storyline for said doll. I don't think it's silly for them to not want a doll because the doll has a "lover", but I would hope if they liked the doll so much they'd give it a try and see what character their doll takes on. None of my dolls look like the "personalities" the companies come up with, especially my wimpy Ruo Feng. xD

13. I agree , the doll company story usually doesn't upply to me since i make my own stories.

14. I once had this happen. I don't know the company anymore, but because the doll I was willing to buy had a lover I sort of decided to go for the other mold I had in mind for the character. Maybe it was because the lover he had on the site wasn't really a doll I liked. Or maybe it was because in my head he allready had another lover. I still don't know but yes, weirdly enough I think I can understand your friend. Even though I give all my dolls their own backstory, if the dolls (or lovers) accompanying in the company pictures don't appeal to me, it might be a turn of to me in some way.

15. No not a problem to me. I usually completely change their character to what I want. That being said I did once buy two together (Ringdoll Carlos and Nair) as I decided they belonged together.

16. It wouldn't stop me from buying a doll I liked. If I liked both of them, I might buy both, but if I only liked one; that's the one I would buy.

17. No. It makes me think " ooh so that's his/her partner".

18. I actually kind of like it when dolls come with their own pre-made character. Sometimes I give them my own once I get them home, but it's neat to see what the original story was like. It gives the doll some more personality right from the start, which I think is fun.

19. I have always viewed the back stories as kind of a way to sale the doll. Kind of weirdly like an advertisement, but it in no way affects whether I want a the doll or not. It's no different that before I buy one I go look at owner pictures to get an idea of how the doll will look in different ways, to see if he really will fit my need. The owners have made them into their own characters, which I LOVE reading about but that's THEIR dolls.. mine are different characters.

20. I don't really care about the company story. I will change the whole story after I bought a BJD anyway.