1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does it bother you when They have lovers?

Oct 10, 2009

1. I don't care about that but when it is a doll I really would like to have and the lover would look perfectly to the doll. I maybe would like to have both ;)
      but this would not stop me to buy the doll I want. :)

2. Nope, when I get my dolls be it second hand or company they're MY dolls when they're in my hand or in transit. I respect other people's idea's and such but they're my dolls...Once their in my hands they become characters.

3. I see the dolls more as individuals and don't really read their stories tbh ._.
      Either way if it bothers her then maybe she can mod him ?

4. wouldnt bother me. you can either add it in or take it out. your the creator in your world. I know when i get my girl whatever her past i'll add some of it in as its a part of her but its not her.

5. It doesn't bother me, namely because the company's story and character for a doll is separate from the story and character I would give my own doll. So it wouldn't matter to me if a certain doll already had a 'lover' given to them by the company. Though I do find it really sweet when companies have interconnected stories for all their dolls, and too enjoy looking at their photo stories.

6. I would never let the company story stop me. Whether I like the story or not, if I buy the doll the company story is forgotten and I create a new one. It is doll that got my attention in the first place anyway; new character, new slate.

7. I never read the company's back story. They don't interest me. I am more like: what does the body look like? His/her face, what does it look like without make up?

I never read the company's back story. They don't interest me. I am more like: what does the body look like? His/her face, what does it look like without make up? And: what about the nose? Where did they put the picture showing how pointy or not the nose is?

8. Wait a sec...O__O;; How come these zombie doll threads keep coming back up? This one's ancient.

9. I never actually read the backstories of dolls :sweat I just scroll past the text to look at the images, and decide whether I want to own the doll itself based on those. Besides, I generally see the 'company' characters as separate from the dolls themselves, so the company saying doll X is doll Y's lover wouldn't bother me anymore than if some random owner said their doll X is their doll Y's lover. Just because Soom called their doll Galena doesn't mean my doll Falx (who is a Galena sculpt) is 'really' named Galena, or that Soom's character 'Galena' is related to my character 'Falx' in any way.

10. I don't mind if the company gives their dolls backstories. I figured it was just part of the advertising process. As long as it's not offensive or distasteful, it doesn't affect how I feel about a particular sculpt. The first thing I look for is the facial structure and expression of the sculpt. If those features match what I'm looking for, I will seriously consider purchasing it.

11. No it doesn't bother me, i mostly have my own stories for my dolls and the promotion story doesn't influence me on that.
      it's the best if she doesn't take this so serious because when she buy the doll it will be her own doll and not someone else's. ^^

12. I think some people, especially new-ish collectors (I definitely fall into this category at times), maybe are still coming to terms with dolls? We're told so much that dolls/toys past a certain age aren't okay, and if someone over childhood age gets them, theres a percentage of folks that WILL ridicule you for it, or worse even call you some kind of perv. So, perhaps finding that people -do- make up lover relationships may make someone reevaluate if something like this ((doll collecting)) IS nutty/worthwhile and fret over what it says about them.

I, personally, don't let it bother me, mostly because dolls become COMPLETELY different little beings dependin on who owns them. What's so amazing about them is- a company could show off a scuplt with their preferred eyes, wig, clothes, personality, etc...but when it comes, unless you buy a full package, it comes as an almost shell...so you almost HAVE to give it new life, right? So the company's fairy elf king on the site could turn into a wee elfish princess with blue eyes and an affinity for anything pink and lacy. Dolls, especially these, demand their own story :)

13. I don't stick to the company stories with my dolls. However, a story I don't like, attached to a sculpt that I do, might push me harder towards styling the doll differently than the company. With a different look, the doll seems more separated from the company's story and character.

14. Nope. Not one bit. In fact I think it's cute. I'm a huge Ken fan. I can't even imagine playing Barbie without him. That totally translates when it comes to BJD's. That's why some of my BJD's have to be boys. My straight girls definitely need some lovely boyfriends to play with and my gay pair, they have each other too. It's all good. :)

15. I think I understand her a little bit? I would'nt be put off by company photos though as the dolls are meant to be customizeable. I would NOT like to be teased like it sounded like your roomate was doing. That would put me off. Being told a very very odd/creepy opinion about a sculpt by a roomate actually did prevent me from getting one, once.

Romance is not my goal usually, and I am a little weirded out when people push that on my dolls. Maybe your roomate is like me? ^^ If they are a bit like me, encourage them to look up user photos of the dolls and BLANK photos of the head sculpt. That can help do away with any concepts that might have stuck and help them see what they want from the doll.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

16. It would only bother me because I might be tempted to buy the other doll too. Like if I see one mold I like somewhere and find out the company also has a "sibling" to it, then I'm compelled to buy both even if I don't like the sibling as much. Just because then I would feel it's a set and I don't want an incomplete one.

Of course this didn't stop me from buying a Lati Lami by herself (Lati used to have stories for the molds and Lumi and Lami were sisters). Though I did end up getting a Lumi later too - but because it was a mystic head and I actually really liked it.

17. Don't care about it either.
      I never buy dolls in fullset, so it's definitely not the same character.

18. Most people aren't influenced by the story companies give dolls... but some people ARE. It doesn't really make sense to other people, but perhaps once the idea is put in their heads, it's hard to ignore it? I'm sure if they REALLY wished for that doll, they'd get over it. So maybe the story putting them off means they weren't as much into the doll as they thought they were???

I try not to read the stories, myself. (Well, I don't TRY... I just tend to ignore them... too lazy to read them, really.) But I know some people DO read them, and some stories disturb them. If something disturbing is associated with a doll, then it's possible it can interfere with a person's positive view of the doll.

I think companies run the risk of engaging people with a good story (making a person look twice at the doll and consider possibilities), as well as alienating a few when the story isn't what they see at all for their own doll. I think most people fall into the "interesting! But I can think of even a better idea if I got this doll" to "whatever. I just like the doll" category. A few, though, will find the story is a negative as far as them wanting to buy the doll...

Some companies don't bother with a story at all.

I think the story helps some companies be more creative when sculpting and designing the doll, though--which is another reason why they do it. I think they like making a series of dolls or creating a special theme doll.

19. It doesn't bother me that they have a lover but I think the issue here is that regardless of the term the company made them a "set" so somewhere in your mind you will always have the knowledge there is a matching opposite gender waiting to be with your doll and they can't be because you were too heartless to buy the other one etc etc. Companies do this to make you buy both but splitting them up shouldn't be an issue. I suppose you could always buy both, make them have a fatal break up scene in front of you and sell the one you didn't want on but that's just so much effort.

20. The company's story doesn't bother me at all. It's just a way to advertising and make buyer interested. Actually I don'y read the concept nor story from company that much before making a decision. If I like him/her because their sculpt, face up are gorgeous, then I will buy him/her and ignore if in the company's story he/she has lover or not. Because when he/she arrived, I will put a new background and profile for them. They won't have the same name as their original one. And I guess, every BJD owner has their own style, so the doll won't even look like the default one from company at all after arrived. :) So...I can't imagine how I get jealous of his/her lover. Haha! The idea to pairing dolls is also not bad because I like to see people happy and find their another part.