1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does it bother you when They have lovers?

Oct 10, 2009

1. It really doesn't bother me if the doll has a lover or not... I'll change the doll to fit my needs and desires as I see fit. Though if the doll's company chosen lover fits my plans I might just get them both.. Which is kind of like what I plan on doing with my grail and his sister.

2. Well, the company just suggested an idea, why could not they? It would not stop me from buying a doll though. They have their ideas, but we are free to have our own.

3. I ignore company stories, too. As the dolls came to me, they'll get their own characters and backstories (and lovers if they need/want one). So if the company want s to write backstory with lover in it, I am fine with it.

4. I am considering the Nina/Claus duo from Luts as a first buy actually. I would give them their own personalities and things of course, but I actually like the idea of some kind of duo, whether I make them lovers, or siblings, or best friends!

5. I think it's about being young and emotional... I can see the teenage version of myself being turned off by lovers of a doll I want. Now I'm quite a bit older and have too many characters to use so I have absolutely no need for company backstories. =D

6. wow i didn't even know bjd companies made back stories for their dolls.

i mean i guess if i wanted to buy a doll specifically so that doll can be in a relation with another doll i had, the company love interest might make me pause a second.
      but it won't stop me from getting the doll in the long run, i don't think...

7. LOL I never even bother looking at a company doll's story. Heck, I only know a sculpt's name so I know I'm buying the right one.

The only time I might be a little put off by a premade relationship would be that if somehow I wanted a sibling from the company to be a couple or vice versa. I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

8. I'm not bothered or influenced by company back stories for their dolls. I create my own character with his or her own story and usually change their look.

9. It doesn’t really bother me as to what stories the company comes up with. I don’t really see them as much more than a sculpt at that point, and the character comes later on to my tastes.

10. I enjoy reading company backstories (especially some of the translations LOL LOL) but I look on them the same way I look on other people's photo stories - If I get one of those featured sculpts it becomes my doll, my character etc. I do love that the companies keep doing all the different stories, cause PROPS & stuff (combat boots! dogtags! PIRATES!!!! & gladiators :daisy )

11. I think the company back stories are meant to inspire and make the doll feel more real before you buy. Just a way to help someone connect more to the doll.

12. I really like the companies concept usually. It's what they have in mind for their mold, but us the customer, can do whatever we want to their dolls. I think they give them backstories, because those stories are what inspire them to create that mold itself. like to create that promotional picture, sometimes i find the back stories matching how they look etc. (Being elf, or blind eyed, why is she frail looking, etc).

give them new names, etc etc, new stories..
      I agree with MaggieStorme.

It makes them more than just "a doll to buy and collect". but it's something we can care for, and give stories to.

but this is just my opinion .

13. I enjoy backstories immensely. I think they are fun and see them as a character specific to the company but not as guidance for me. It's one reason I don't or (haven't) purchased full sets. So whether a doll had a "lover" as a part of the story - it wouldn't affect me because it's not the reason I buy the doll. :daisy

14. I never read the site biographies or stick to their information. Birthdays and all that are the day the doll comes to me. My mini picked his wife because we liked the mold, kids were picked because they looked like their parents.

15. Thankfully you have the complete freedom to change your mind. That means you can make the story whatever you want. I only wish we could do the same for ourselves :)

16. This would never stop me from purchasing a doll. I don't really pay much attention to how the company presents the doll. Before I even get the doll, I am creating my own ideas for the doll. The original artist vision never seems to be mine at all.

17. I could see how it could bother her. I will sometimes not buy something - even un-doll related - if I know it has matching or companion pieces I can't afford or don't want. For me it feels like I just have something incomplete or that the value of whatever I'm purchasing decreases because I don't buy the whole thing. I'll even do the reverse if the item(s) include pieces I don't want or like. I do it with my daughters clothes all the time. If I don't like the 2-piece outfit set I won't purchase it. In that case it feels like I'm wasting my money. Any one of those could be her issue too, but because it pertains to BJD's I assume it would mostly be because having only one doll of a "lover" set decreases its overall value, making it more expensive than what she could get in return if she tried to sell it in excellent condition years down the line.

18. I hardly ever read a stroy that company gives to a doll. I buy a doll for its looks only, I don't get bothered with company looks either, to be honest... @.@

19. I don't think something like that would ever bother me, when looking at dolls I don't think about any story a company or prior owner has made up for it, or what it's wearing, wig, eyes etc I just think about what I could do with him/her.

Would your friend be as creeped out if she bought a secondhand doll and later found out that doll was the lover of X doll and before that the lover of Y doll and was the sibling of Z doll, maybe if she gets it completely blank (no company faceup, clothes etc) it will help her forget about the dolls "past".

20. I pretty much ignore what the companies are "writing" about them because I have my own ideas. But hearing that would not bother me and I also ignore the style that the companies dress the dolls in. I don't buy full sets at all! I think I can understand where your friend is coming from because some people are bothered by things that I might find strange. Maybe you should tell people like that not to read the companies' backstories? lol This is a good topic! Very interesting.