1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does it hurt or annoy when outsiders say "You should sell your dolls!"?

Oct 16, 2009

1. Funny, I actually sold some old video games I didn't play anymore to get my Bei, now that i think about it. I even mentioned to my mom that if I didn't like a Doll I bought, I could easily sell for just under the price I spent on it and make most of it back, but I'm so picky on which one I want that I'm sure I'd love her.

Maybe instead of being so broken by it, why not just mention that if you really needed the money that bad, you could sell it, but you're not in such finacial straps to do so.

2. It does get annoying when people say that. My aunt tells me "OMG you should sell those!" every freaking time I see her. She's like "you could make a lot of money" well duh, I spent a lot of money collecting them, I'd lose a lot of that money if I sold them due to the economy, and the fact that I couldn't get back my shipping money and would have to pay it again if I wanted to rebuy the dolls. She doesn't get the concept of a collection.

3. I think it's partly the economy, which makes (some) people think that if you can't use something (like an iPhone or an iPod or a computer or a car) you shouldn't have it.

When you think about it, most people these days don't actually have hobbies in the sense that we do. They get up, go to school or work, when the end of the day comes they go out to a bar or club or shop, or they come home and watch TV, get on the net and do their social networking, or play a video game, do whatever chores need done, and go to bed. No hobbies. Very few people sit down and make things anymore, they'd rather buy it.

4. Yes...
      Then again I'm the only person in my town with them...

My family would never tell me to, they even said "we would sell some things from our hobbies first".
      It's mainly just everyone else. I'm not sure if it's due to the fact of the economy lately or they just think dolls are a waste of money.
      It doesn't bother me that badly its just kind of annoying since I hear it alot.:|

5. I know a fair few gamers... casual MMO players in particular... who might argue with you about their passtime being every bit as much a "hobby" as our own. ;)

6. Psh, gaming isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle :D

7. Haha, yeah. My mom is always telling me to sell my dolls and her friend who makes porcelain dolls tells her to shut up and encourage my hobby. She (the friend, not mom) actually stopped giving me Christmas presents now and started giving me doll money instead. :XD:

8. I am never bothered by 'outsiders' telling me to sell my dolls because I don't disclose my hobbies to just anyone, much less tell them things like cost. However, I tell myself to sell these silly toys all of the time... and many times I have, so I could afford other things, whether they were important things like rent or other luxury items. Recently I narrowed my collection down to just one, and even that doll faces the chopping block on occasion.

9. I don't take Nicola out because I'm afraid something will happen
      to her, but there have been a few times
      where I've had a boyfriend or two make some weird comment
      about Nicola.

I had an ex even talk me out of a doll once, though I
      am getting ready to purchase her soon. He was a jerk
      anyway, but that's another story.

I also had another ex-boyfriend tell me she was creepy, but he actually explained
      WHY he thought so. What he said also made sense, or atleast
      to me. He told me that when he was really little, he watched Chucky, and it really scared
      him (of course, little kids should not watch that). His older sister also had dolls and she would
      play tricks on him with them. So it turns out that dolls creeped him out in
      general not because they are ugly, but because he was traumatized
      by them as a child. ...Which isn't the best thing if he has
      a daughter someday. :lol:

I've never been asked about the price of Nicola, but I've had two people
      try to talk me out of buying a puki pipi (which is the doll I am about to purchase).

I also collect other dolls and several other things, but just as it's my choice
      to collect those items,
      I'm big enough to accept other people's collections and hobbies
      as well. Sure, I may be almost 19 and still collecting dolls, but
      these are obviously for older people who can take care of these. They are meant
      to be loved and cherished, not profit gainers. Plus, if I ever have
      a daughter or daughter (or granddaughters), I can pass my dolls
      down to them. They won't want my video games and iPod touch.
      ...Well, they might want the games, but the Wii and such will probably
      be like the NES to them. :lol:

10. I have gotten the "you should sell them!" comments a couple of times too.

It really annoys me, especially because I always say I collect dolls. People who collect post stamps don't get the same comment because somehow it is obvious that they won't sell it. But why would you think that I am selling my precious collection? Where I spend so much time in customizing them and loving them?
      I don't get these people... :|

BTW, it has never been when I was taking my doll out. I got the comment when I was talking about my biggest hobby, or I got the comment when people saw pictures of them on my VampireFreaks or Myspace profile.

11. I've never gotten that comment, but since they're my dolls and it's my decision to keep or sell them, what other people think has no bearing on me. Plus, the situation you mentioned isn't really negative--it's not "oh those dolls are so creepy you should get rid of them" it's "they're neat, you could make a lot of money" (which may or may not be true depending on what dolls you own). The thing to realize, is that nondoll people aren't going to automatically understand how much emotional value dolls can have for their owners--they're going to see dollar signs, because that's all they know.

12. I have had a friend tell me I should sell my dolls(she thinks they are frivolous) and I said "oh yeah, I did sell some". I just didn't tell her that they were play dolls that my children had lost interest in and wanted to sell so they could buy some different dolls.

13. This might not be compleatly on topic, but I've been told/thought about selling my manga collection to get my doll. I have more than $2000 worth, but cant sell them at full price. I've never liked when my mom said instead of getting a doll I could get a car. People are so hurtfull at times. T.T

14. You know, that is SOOOOOOO stupid - do YOU go into THEIR place, & tell them - "You really ought to sell your furniture/pets/children/fill-in-the-blank"??!! @@

15. This might not be compleatly on topic, but I've been told/thought about selling my manga collection to get my doll. I have more than $2000 worth, but cant sell them at full price. I've never liked when my mom said instead of getting a doll I could get a car. People are so hurtfull at times.

Yeah, & YOU can just say: "Yeah, I could. But I WANT the DOLL."

;)

16. Car = "I won't have to drive you around"

Car = "You can get a job"

It's mostly that she is thinking in terms of you being less dependent on her and more independent. Parents start doing that once you are old enough to move in that direction. You might WANT the doll, but a doll won't make you more independent.

17. sometimes it bothers me, but rarely. I can usually respond by pointing out the luxury excesses of the person making the statement, or simply say "that is your opinion" If someone is polite I MAY express my reasons for having them, if not I will simply end the conversation.

18. On the contrary, in my case- wanting dolls meant having to find work- and enjoying it, too, so I wouldn't just quit. So I got a job, then moved out of my mom's house, then got my own house where no one could tell me I was wasting my hard-earned money, then got dolls.

Job, house, girlfriend- from dolls!

19. I haven't got my first doll yet but I've already had that comment. I showed my nan a picture of the doll I'm going to get and she saw the price. Five minutes later she said "well I suppose you could keep it for a while and then sell it for a profit" in a way that suggested they weren't good for anything else. I'm reeeeeeally excited about getting my first so it annoyed the hell out of me but I didn't say anything back, some people just don't understand the hobby.

20. mixed response here X3... i collect porcelin too but i am really wanting a BJD now been wanting one for ages... i cant wait to get her... but to that question yes and no... yes cause for me it sometimes hurts when i love something but others find it a burden or not useful as i do and no cause some people dont understand what others feel for there most percousi object and think there saying something funny or giving advice... so for me i just ignore them and think what i want... but advice if you want it... dont listen to them if there telling you to sell... you know what you want and you know what you like its up to you what you do as only you can tell you what to do ^_^ my granddaddy told me that when i got upset over the teddy he bought me as a baby got ruined but i still wanted to keep it and mom wanted to sell it.... i still have the teddy een though i get picked on over it... but the love for that teddy is too strong to part with it over some noob telling me to get rid... so ^_^ ignore them you know what you love and what you like... ^_^ they dont