1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does it hurt or annoy when outsiders say "You should sell your dolls!"?

Oct 16, 2009

1. I've been told this multiple times. D: But I don't particularly mind... Though it DOES irk me when the people who know the worth tell me, "Hey, would you care if I sold that for you? I mean, it's just a doll. You won't mind if I take the profit I get from it right?" FFFFFFFFFFF Oh man, I rage 1000 suns bro.

Well. Maybe because the people I know are idiots. :/ They still can't get over the price I paid. Though... I personally think I didn't spend that much. D=

Wait. now I feel like I'm being irrelevant.

2. I suppose it would only hurt if they meant it as a sort of insult? Like they don't like the look of my doll? But just to suggest selling for profit and not to find a loving home for my precious(es) I find it almost a blasphemy, as I only care about finding good homes for my little one(s) if it becomes necessary. Maybe it's just a superficial maternal thing, but in the past I've never charge more than what I paid for for my dolls, and tend to actually charge a little less, just to be sure I can find good homes for those that seem sincere. If I have no desire to sell, I don't like being told that I should sell them. If they are interested in them and wanted to be let known that if I should someday sell them, that's a different story.

OMG, lol you kidding me?! They boldly say they want to profit off of your precious? It's not their place to get anything off the doll, they didn't do anything for you or for the doll. To me that's about darn near insulting (sorry had to put my 2 cents worth on that ^^;; ) I'd rage 1k suns too if someone told me that.

3. no one ever said something like that to me. but than again why would I even get my doll in the first place if I want to make money off of him?

4. No one has said this to me yet but if they did it would anoy me and why would i sell my doll when they are llike family.:aheartbea:?

5. Eh, I think it's an understandable comment for an outsider to make. They don't know why we spend so much money on the dolls. Most I'd imagine don't see much difference between our dolls and barbies (beyond aesthetics). So, when they hear the price, it's natural to be like "whoa! I could make a fortune".

I've heard it once or twice, but understanding THEIR point of view means I don't get upset.

6. "Sure if you don't mind if I sell your car/iphone/game console for you. I mean, it's just things you can replace. You won'd mind if I take the profit I get from it, right?"

7. I've never had that comment.
      My parents say I should buy cheap heads though, clean them up and give them faceups because I'm so good at them (am I!? XDD), and make money that way.
      But they don't understand, it's more to do with the popularity of the mold than the way it looks in the doll market... XDD

But no, no one's ever said I should sell them.
      I have a few friends who have BJDs, and all my friends who don't just envy mine, so no one's negative about my hobby.. XD
      And my parents like my dolls. Ish.. XD (they don't hate them, if that's what you mean, lol)

8. I just got something really annoying today, from another doll person no less. It was not quit a "you should sell your doll" because I just DID sell one of my precious babies, to rehome his character in a different sculpt. When I told my partner about it, his response was not "that's great! what new one are you getting?" or anything else supportive...no it was "did you make a profit?"

Grr

NOT why I sell dolls thanks, I HAVE made a profit on dolls in the past, but rarely. In this case I made a loss, but an acceptable one being that the doll was a couple of years old and newer body types now exist for that sculpt.

9. It doesn't hurt, but it bothers me a little when family tells me I could always sell Christopher at a later time....

It's like this is just a phase of my life...and it will go away shortly...and I don't really want it to be like that.

10. hmm... this question is interesting. I've only heard one person say that to me and it's my own mother! She's totally impressed with what I can do with her, but she's told me numerous times when I say I'm short on cash for the week and that what I need will have to wait till next that I should sell my dolls to get the cash. and I remind her how many times she's sold something that she knows would make money that she HATED, let alone really loved. NEVER. I said even if she sat in a box or on the shelf all day, I wouldn't sell her. granted I don't have a lot of free time, i'm married and have a baby, i still find time to make her clothes and take pictures and all sorts of things.

It doesn't really hurt if you think of it like that. Most of the time they're not saying it to hurt you, but in a sort of messed up way help you.

And personally i'm not really into porcelain dolls, i think they're creepy... <.<;

11. *_* really? at that point I'd just laugh in their faces. "Sure you can just give me your car and I'll drive it into a wall. It's just a car. if it gets totaled, can I get the insurance money? You won't mind right?" that's some bull scrap... people can be stupid.

I'm sorry that happened to you. hopefully not anybody you're friends with.

12. yeah it bothers me cuz it's my mom she says it's just a fad and you'll get tired of it so u should just sell them. im try to explain it to her but she doesn't get it or me at all

13. Yes, I find it a bit annoying because it's no one's business what I do or do not do with my dolls. My little ancient Mom used to get excited when I said I was selling a doll & everytime I'm photographing them she thinks it's for sale reasons. But she's gotten better over the years & sometimes now even doesn't want me to sell certain ones.

14. I get told this by my mom and dad all the time. I just learn to ignore it. What really get me mad is when they say it and they keep bring me "doll size" boxes and packaging stuff and are like you need this for when you sale one. I am like I am not selling a doll and the clothing goes in bubble mailer so I don't need that huge box thank you... then its like well maybe you will need it.

My parents can really get on my nerves with this but most other people are pretty ok with it and don't do the you should sale them line unless they want me to throw somthing at them.

15. This. (that made me lol)

It is hard for people to understand how a doll can be as entertaining as the things they would spend their money on. You could take the time to explain it if you think they are open minded. Or...you can just let it go.

16. Funny. Lets throw that into a different perspective shall we?
      Someone says, hey check out my new Purse!, another person, "You should sell it."

Hehe makes no sense. People just open their mouths without ever really thinking. xD We all have our different opinions on what you should and shouldn't buy. If I was that, I think I would ask why? As like a question, Why should I sell my doll, which I love, which I worked hard on to make my character, and spent time on?

17. I am kind of relieved to read here that I am not the only one who gets this shit (sorry) thrown at their heads by their own family -__-. It doesn't hurt me, but damn, it's so ANNOYING :doh !

When I was unwrapping my newly arrived BJD together with a friend who was also unwrapping hers, my mom came into the room and asked "Are you planning to sell these ?" and we were like "WTF ?". To me, this question just came out of nowhere, was out of place and total random at that. My friend was also pretty baffled and asked "Why would I sell something I just received and spend so much money on ?".

The next incident occurred while I was fixing a BJD head in our garage.
      I was sanding down the nose of the head and made it very carefully to not sand away too much. My dad spotted me working there, and after a while he asked "Is that head for sale ?" and I was like "Err, no, that's my own !". And once again it was a BJD that just had arrived.

My sister was no better, she also asked if I had plans to sell these dolls when she first saw them. It's really sad how some people can be so materialistic, even more sad if it's the own family. I think the only thing one can do is to ignore them and tell them once and for all "This is my hobby and passion, I don't do this to make profit, I do this to be creative and artistic. Thank you."

I don't know what makes my family think that I would sell these doll. I also never told anyone except my aunt the true value of the BJDs I own, and I don't plan on telling anyone besides her. They wouldn't understand anyway D:. Well, at least I know I am not suffering alone *huggs everyone else who has to deal with the situation*.

18. I've definitely gotten this before...I especially hate when it's like "You spent that much? You should sell it! Do you know how much (item) I could buy with that?" Like it was their money. I don't like talking about the cost of dolls anyway, but people seem to really like to bug me about it ALL THE TIME.

Personally, unless I'm actually in the market to buy something similar of my own I don't like to ask what things cost...I was always taught that was tacky.

19. One of my classmate said that I've to sell my BJD 'cause I'm not a child anymore, and adults spend their money on "serious things".. She bought for 600 euro a LV bag and 300 euro for a pair of shoes in ONE DAY (1330 USD in total). I never spent so much in ONE day. My answer was: I do whatever I want with MY money and you do whatever you want with YOUR parents money.

20. Yes. Yes, it would be annoying. I can make my own choices without having someone else bleat their opinions ^^;
      I don't take my dolls to places I'm likely to get stupid comments, however. It's not worth the energy.