1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does it hurt or annoy when outsiders say "You should sell your dolls!"?

Oct 16, 2009

1. It doent hurt, it annoys abit, thats it.
      I'm used to such propositions already - people suggested me sell my books, WoW characters, yarns and needles :D so dolls are just next part of the story here.
      I'm not arguing, just suggesting to those people sell their pets or children .. it can make fortune too, sometimes.

2. Nope. I'm 50. I do what I want with my money. (Well <amends>, that isn't entirely true -- I take care of the things the kids need and pay the mortgage and bills -- what's left over is mine.)

If a person were to tell me I'd have to sell the dolls, I'd laugh at him or her. I've seen adults with $75,000 motorcycles. Yes, we have responsibilities that absolutely MUST be paid, but don't be fooled. Even mature adults spend much more for toys than kids (or most of their parents) spend on theirs.

3. It is annoying. To the point where I get nervous and may give a harsh reply. Unfortunately, when people say that to me they think of the "idiocity" of the cost of these dolls, and tell me what they would do with the money they got from selling the dolls. For me this is the same as counting the money that I have in my pocket.

*I mean - OK, if you would have spent the same amount on a concert ticket - this is your choice, I don't mind; but why do you think I should do the same?*

4. This is how much my mom DOESN'T want me to sell my dolls.

I owe her money because she's paid for my helpers all semester...and buys me groceries and stuff.

I had a housing deposit coming up for next semester; I sold Artemis to pay it.

NOT ONLY did she give me the deposit...she gave me EXTRA to buy food and pay my helper...and GAVE ME the cost of my Littlefee.

So that I can get another :D

5. I think that its very common when people make suggestions about how other should deal with their money, what to buy, where to go. All have different view thou. But only a few understand that person's decidion always should be respected. Person's financial affairs are of noone's concern, as well as hobbies.

6. My parents have expensive hobbies of their own...and my mom has mentioned the money I spent on my dolls a few times.

I just remind her that she has a ton of stuff she's bought that she doesn't use and of my dad's interests. She doesn't say anything more about it after that.

7. @arienh: i totally agree with you (-.-)''''

my husband loves his blackberry and just put it in service and cost him quite a lot.
      I don't have any feeling on blackberry, even the cheapest one (at least about 360USD), but I'm drooling for a doll, less than 300USD (^o^)...

i never limit people i love to purchase stuff they like...i limit them when it comes to money and when they don't take care of the stuff they purchase...not appreciating the stuff we purchase is worse than purchasing something expensive...

8. i got that before when only had floaty heads and at camp when i took the heads along to paint(i had a faceup sevice going). it made me sad and the dolls looked sad for the rest of the trip. someone tried to steal them after they saw me looking at the doll sites and saw the pricing of the heads. it made me sad because i caught them trying to get the headcaps off one of them and i told the teacher when they wouldn't give it back cus i had no proof. i got the back after i showed my teacher that i had like 5 more in my other messenger bag that i took with me. ( i was lucky they ony stole marcol- who was my floaty head- and not the others that belonged to my customers).

9. Yes , its pretty painful , its obviously a hobby and interest we have . People spend exhorbitant amounts on hobbies ... we are no different ... i wouldnt go up to a golfer and tell them how much $ they could make if they sold their golf clubs or country club memebership !

10. I do find it annoying and offensive when people suggest you should sell your dolls or point out how much money you would make. I would never tell them to sell their car, sports gear, or whatever it is. People collect things and if they enjoy those things no one else has a right to say you should sell them. If you need money it is up to you if you sell something and not up to someone else to choose what should go.

11. I'm pretty immune to that by now. My family tells me to sell everything in my room. Mangas, magazines, collectibles, what not so I just ignore them.

12. It's a little annoying when people say that, and it's usually my close friends who are afraid of dolls anyway, but other than that, it's no big deal. I just remind them of all the money they spend on their video games and pop culture merchandise and they leave it be. It's usually just a joke.

13. Never had it happen to me, guess I must have people around me that are happy to see me happy and enjoying myself.

However, if anyone did tell me to sell them, I'd probably politely tell them to mind their own business.

14. I may feel annoying but doesn't hurt me because sell or not all are up to me, since it's all my money. And I think a person who says such thing seriously (not a joke), just doesn't understand what hobby means :D Same to people to collect cars, if I say, "Sell off your cars, then you will be rich"...I guess this person would definitely be pissed off.