1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does owning BJD's help you with your job(s) in real life?

Jan 1, 2010

1. Does owning BJDs help you with your job(s) in real life? Does it help enhance your abilities for that job/hobby/activity?
      Considering my job is scientific research in the field of occupational hygiene and epidemiology, no, BJDs don't help me with my job. My job, however, does help me in my BJD hobby, because I know how harmful certain chemicals are and I cannot stop stressing the importance of wearing proper personal protection when you expose yourself to harmful substances (like resin dust and MSC). You only have one set of lungs and you want to be able to use those for the rest of your life.
      As for my hobbies, I try to get hobbies that relate to each other so I can use all that hobby stuff for multiple hobbies. I combine painting, sewing, drawing, sculpting, writing, and other crafty stuff with BJDs. ^_^

Do you think doing face-ups help you become better at doing makeup for people in real life? Would you say that it would greatly help any beauticians in training?
      Maybe. I started to search for make-up tutorials and books to increase my knowledge of face-shapes and how to manipulate them for face-ups. They are also good for inspiration. Resin is not skin, though, and there are differences.

2. Well here goes :D

Does owning BJDs help you with your job(s) in real life? Does it help enhance your abilities for that job/hobby/activity?

Most definitely, I do so many different arts and crafts anyways, that being able to work on it for dolls allows me to be challenged in working on a different scale. Also having the dolls are great reference when you want to paint or draw, or even work digitally.

If so, what kind of job/hobby/activity is it?

You can name just about any hobby out there and something out of that can be made for dolls. If it's anything that can be made for a person, it can be scaled down to a doll size. Also many of those hobby skills can in some way apply to many work environments if there's any artistic situations. Also, if you are going for any type of art job, having any art/craft hobbies related to dolls can be listed as working with miniatures or doll crafting. And most art jobs like listings like that especially if they have something that is related similar to that.

The following question below is targeted mainly for those who do or have done faceups.
      Do you think doing face-ups help you become better at doing makeup for people in real life? Would you say that it would greatly help any beauticians in training?

Most definitely, though I've found that it can also work in reverse in some ways too. I'm a master cosmetologist and there are at least two things related to these dolls that can attribute with this field. Wigs and Makeup. You learn to color coordinate, make and work with wigs, hairstyling, and applying make-up. You can also consider the nails too, especially if you mod them by shaping and paint them.
      Also another feature with dolls that can help in career fields is fashion. Making outfits, designing them with different body and age types in mind. Or even shoes. One reason I like working with doll scaled stuff is that you don't have to buy so much materials to make things and it don't take as much time to create smaller sizes than if you were making it for a human. Save time, money and space to do artistic things when you feel the urge ^^.

Trust me, there's many ways to make it work if you're referencing these dolls as part of the tools of the trade. Even if you want to be able to learn to make your owns dolls. You can look at instructions and books all you want, but it's best when you have a "live example" as you can see the joints and workings and even compare portions. Or maybe you like a company that has these type of clothing but don't care for their dolls. Can't find one anywhere or want to make a doll for those sizes. Doll making alone requires sculpting/painting/carving and all sort of skills. When wanting to learn to do all those stuff is enough reasoning for spending so much on a doll or in stuff to make a doll or stuff for the doll. I once saw a pic on volks that shows the doll's skin half sliced off, showing the inside mechanics. When ya think about it, dolls like those can really teach you on structuring.

3. Not that I have a doll to practice with yet, but learning to take good photos of small objects in bad light conditions (and learning how to manipulate the light conditions) has other applications, even if it's just doing up better photos for eBay auctions!

It could also serve as a practice space for learning to use Photoshop (or other graphics programs) to improve or just beautify your photos. Many of the really great doll photos have had some post-processing with Photoshop.

If you want to make a homepage to show off your photos/ideas, that would be a good opportunity to branch into web design. (Or, looking at some shop websites, you can get a good idea on what works and what doesn't with regards to user interface design... I'm a web developer so that's the #1 thing I've been noticing while investigating BJDs. XD)

4. Does owning BJDs help you with your job(s) in real life? Does it help enhance your abilities for that job/hobby/activity?

For my job not at all, because my job has nothing to do with BJDs. But at leat it helps for enhance my abilities in nearly all my others hobbies (drawing and painting and such things). The reverse is true too : I like to paint since my childhood and I knew which part of the brush was usefull before having BJDs XD
      That's what is great with those dolls. Working on them or working for your others hobbies is always useful!

I think so, even if I don't really do makeup for others than me.

5. It's not really beneficial for my work, I'm a geotechnical consultant. Perhaps if I sow Shinta a working suit with the company logo on it and built him a CPT test van, it might draw a lot of smiles :P
      Like Baakay said, it's great to come home and give him a hug :)

6. Owning BJD defently helps me as i am 3d modeler and outfit designer :)
      I havn't tried to do my own face up yet , i am loving factory default one and well , only got 1 doll so far but i do belive doing faceup for dolls helps improve artistic abilities a lot as make up artists improve theirs with each make up .

7. Well, my current job is dabbling around in a messy computer room, and my dolls do help me by holding random things I am currently too lazy to put away properly... but heck yeah working with their faces has added to my makeup and generally artistic skill. Especially with learning how to work with small details.

And on a serious note about the job thing, I'm waiting to get into college to hopefully someday be a game designer. So my "dabbling" on the computer involves practicing 3D modeling, making animations for 3D figures, etc. BJDs actually do make a good reference.

8. Does owning BJDs help you with your job(s) in real life?

I don't have a career yet, but I think that BJDs could indirectly help with my aspirations to be a psychiatrist. I enjoy thinking a lot about how BJDs interact with the psyches of the people who are into the hobby, and there are many aspects of the BJD culture that are interesting to analyze. Each person seems to react to the dolls differently, be it in the hobby or those outside the hobby (some react to it with disgust, others with curiosity, others with fear, etc.). This opportunity for analysis will hopefully sharpen my thinking skills, even if it's just as a leisurely observation. ^^ I really think that will help me in the future.

Does it help enhance your abilities for that job/hobby/activity?

I believe that for hobbies and other activities, BJDs have enhanced my abilities greatly. ^^ I got into photography almost exclusively from BJDs -- I'd never really been interested in it before. I am now a photography enthusiast, and my love for photography exceeds my love of dolls. ^^ I have learned more about the application of makeup and the relationship of colors, skintone, body shapes, face contours, hair, and spacial dimensions for clothing. It has helped me get started on sewing -- I am more motivated to sew clothes for my doll than I am for myself. XD I hope to be able to design and make clothes that rival Mio quality someday! Even though I know that day may be far far far off into the future, it's helped me get motivated to learn more about crafting clothing. My skills as a person have increased dramatically because of the dolls. ^^

Definitely. I have learned more about the application of makeup and the relationship of colors, skintone, body shapes, face contours, hair, and spacial dimensions for clothing working with BJDs than I have looking at any magazine editorials or fashion blogs. My real dream is to be a fashion designer, but I needed a more secure future so I turned to psychiatry as my future careeer -- however, I think that if I had continued down the path of fashion I would have been greatly helped by all I learned and continue to learn from BJDs.

9. Well...It does help my boss, iv never put in so much overtime before (to get more dollie$$$)

10. Does owning BJDs help you with your job(s) in real life? Does it help enhance your abilities for that job/hobby/activity?

yes, it does. Many of my dolls 'work' for me, :) so Gracie helps immensely.

If so, what kind of job/hobby/activity is it?

I own King William Miniatures & Collectibles, and have worked in the doll/ dollhouse miniature industry for the last 5-6 years now, just opening a brick and mortar shop in April. I specialize in large scale furniture for dolls, much of which fits the MSD's and SD's quite well. So the dolls in my collection are used as models in pictures on the website and in the Ebay store with the furniture items I sell and also design.

I would say if you are in the cosmetology field, having a bjd would help your creative side.

11. Wow! Thank you so much for your replies, everyone! I've learned so much from you all and what BJD's can do for you! :D With this I'm sure my family will give them a second thought. Thank you so much everybody! I'm still hoping to read more, if there are still those who want to share their experiences with us. It's just so interesting! Cx

12. The only part of this that I'm really confident responding to is the makeup part. I'm an actress with not-so-great skin who does occasional film work and stuff like Rocky Horror shadowcasting, so I have to play around a lot with different looks. The answer is:

Yes and no.

Doing faceups is more like doing makeup for stage, drag, or editorial work. Which is great!

But it doesn't have much to offer regarding teaching you how to make someone look like themselves, only better. Most people want to look like they're not wearing any makeup, and the techniques and knowledge you gain doing faceups won't necessarily teach you this. But it can definitely help you learn things about the makeup looks listed above!

13. I haven't had the opportunity to use them professionally yet, but I'm planning on graduating college on a Photojournalism major, so I'll have the dual power of English and Photography.
      But casually, it's definitely helpful to have a doll with me when shooting people. For children, especially, but they can get smiles out of adults, too. :)

14. I mop floors and clean garbage, I should hope no doll has to be in the same room as that letalone help

15. For me i'm a lonly person, so it help me more to have that silent firend around then nothing at all.

16. I have fish, they move but are silent
      the ultimate slap in the face lol

17. That it is! Lol, but sometime i need somethign i dont have to worry about feeding...

18. fish often feed themselves, algie, feeding "stones" i've had them all my life, cost me more then dolls ever will lol!

19. Lol that is ture!

20. you know something cool, I have a resin...well its a giant bug from a game called Warhammer-that helps me IRL (eg I sell it and make oodles of money-doll money :P)