1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the doll chose the wig - or does the wig chose the doll?

Jun 3, 2009

1. I almost always draw out the character before actually looking at dolls or wigs, so I suppose it's more a matter of "pick what fits best" for me...

I'm, uh, not entirely sure what that would be classified as.

Character picks both? I think it's more of a doll-picks-the-wig thing, really; it'd be silly to try to match a wig with any one doll since... most are designed to fit with most.

2. I change the wigs on my dolls a lot so I just buy wigs because I like them. Sometimes a doll ends up mainly wearing a certain wig but that's not part of the reason I buy them. I like to change the look of my dolls as that's one of the reason I like these dolls so much, they're little chameleons.

3. My dolls don't get a say, I chose the wigs. I decide on their hair color too.

4. Doll chooses the wig for sure o.O
      My chickadean was...different and different means different hair..cloths...ext..
      My boy? I have Leeke Fever and its stage 2 so far, Im out to get tons of MilkBrown colors and he MUST have them...its funny how you just pick colors and decide for sure if its for them... X'D

5. My girl Lorelei has several wigs to go with outfit/mood. She's very adaptable. But with my boy Benedict it was very difficult to chose: originally I thought I wanted a natural hair color, but after a lot of frustration trying to chose finally I relented and went back to his default white wig. It gives him a more anime look than I'd first wanted, but it works better on the sculpt.

6. I was just wondering about this myself. Not that I'm in any position to be buying wigs yet considering I have no doll or money, but yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if I browsed through some wigs and picked it before a doll though (as long as I figured out the size and such--that still alludes me as I'm still new to this). Then again, I think I've always been the type that finds pieces and knows instinctively if something works or not. Does that make sense?

For me I think it's all a matter of chance with fate. If I found a wig first or a doll first it wouldn't matter so much as long as it really works and comes together in the end. It would be as it would be.

7. I noticed when I'm looking at bjd's when comes to guys I'm attracted to one's with long grey or white hair.

8. My doll chose the wig because he was based off a character :)

9. I've always chosen my doll first (so far). But the wig tends to just... happen. And when it does they just fit together you know.

10. I have... too many wigs. Thankfully, I can pretty much use the same size on -most- of my dolls, so it's not quite as impractical as it could be. I like to change them up from time to time, but sometimes, the wig just -sticks- for quite some time. I have seen more than a few wigs that have made me think, "Hmm, I know a great concept for that, if I ever see a doll that fits the concept well, I'll have to pick one up," but the wig has never directly driven a doll purchase.

11. Revising what I said...she chose the wig! She was originally a blonde-ginger, but then the black wig just suited her way more. ^^;;;;;;

12. Just like the clothes style, the eyes size as well as color the wig is the cherry on top. Length, style as well as color always has to be tried on my dolls or they just aren't happy and neither am I. Sometimes it only takes a few tries, while others may needto wait for me to find the wig in right color as well as style.

13. TeaPartyRevolution, first of all I simply love your user name. It has visions of the Boston Tea Party and the Rev War marching around inside of my head. I am a history fan! In the case of my lads, the dolls came first, then the wigs. I want female bdj next, so I have bought a wig for a lass that I do not have yet.

14. I buy wigs based on my dolls' coloring and head shape. So the doll definitely chooses the wig (in a sense). One of my dolls looks really surprised if you can't see her eyebrows, so a wig with a part is best for her. One doll looks good in almost any color I give her, but not natural light browns--for some reason if she wears white or platinum blonde it's believable, dark brown and black are believable, colors are believable, but light brown? Looks odd. And another, he can't wear black wigs, but anything lighter is okay. (He also can't wear long wigs with any curl. He looks ridiculous.)

I guess this is just more of an aesthetic thing than character or personality or any of that. As with a regular person.

15. Thanks - I'm not that much of an American history buff - more into Russian and War history, but that was why I chose the Revolution part of my name!

I find it so interesting to read all these different takes on wigs...

For an update on my struggle - my Marcheline is currently wearing a SOOM wig (for pics of her in it, have a gander at my Flickr). While she looks fairly good in it, she is fairly adament that it is not her wig. (plus, since I don't have a wig cap and she has a smallish head - it's a bit big).

We're still waiting on the Cody wig to turn up, so she just has to grin and bare it for the moment - which means that I really need to get a SOOM girl - or one with a bigger head than my Marcheline's 9 inch to fit this seriously funky wig!

16. :sweat

For me...my dolls choose the wigs.

As in...new wigs that I've bought and let them wear it...after that when I wanna change their wigs back to the old ones, somehow they don't look nice in their old ones anymore... :|

17. I keep thinking my dolls have one personality, and they insist on trying someone's spare wig and I discover their secret "other self"...Stately one moment and smoky the next! I made little UFO's first wig, I'd already ordered the mohair before I met her...and she spent the next two monthes pouting until we ran into a wig sale and she tried on a wig that was a size too large. I thought maybe she'd share it with one of the bigger girls at first but this week I took it in in the back and accepted the fact that she has long ash blond hair rather than fluffy auburn! (the smaller wig accentuated the smallness of her head and this makes her head look more in proportion)
      I was checking out this thread because I'm trying to choose a wig for a doll I've seen(Okay, I'm hoping for). I liked the wig, then I saw the elf doll and now I've spent all week worrying that it might not really be her look...mostly the color...perhaps I'm at the point of overthinking the whole thing as usually I accept what catches my eye without second guessing...and once she comes she'll probably choose a second look anyway, as the others have!
      What's amazing is how many different attitudes come out as the dolls change wigs.

18. I suppose the doll chooses the wig. I try to keep the length and color in the same general area that the default wig comes in, because I fall in love with the entire doll (hair, faceup, clothes, etc), not just a mold...so if the hair gets changed too drastically, I fear I won't love the doll as much. Can't imagine them in anything different ^^;

19. I would say the doll chooses the wig. My BDJ is Angelina Jolie so I first gave her a long brown wig. While she was beautiful in it it somehow didn't look right. I tried the blond wig with pink highlights on her and it just fits her.. I have several wigs for her and plan to swap them around with her outfits but the blond/pink wig will be her main wig.

20. I think certain face ups and face sculpts and resin colours are most flattered by certain colours and cuts of wigs, just like real people's faces. Also, of course the personality I expect my doll to have will be a large determining factor in deciding the right wig.

However, I do find myself drawn to certain types of wigs. I really adore mohair as it looks so soft and natural to me. I like dolls that look classical and etherial, so mohair is a really good fit for that. I also VERY rarely like a wig that isn't a natural colour. As much as the doll picks the wig, those are big factors in wig choice for me as well.