1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the doll chose the wig - or does the wig chose the doll?

Jun 3, 2009

1. the doll chose the wig by far...at lest for me

2. The wigs I have chosen the doll, and almost all my custom ordered UU why they wanted them they were right, a doll that I asked before that I liked the wig I can not make, is not that it is not good but do not want to take.

3. For me, it's definitely the doll choosing the wig 'cos her personality has alreayd been set. Hehez. Unless she's having a split personality then she might just start having all sorts of styles. :P

4. When I saw my doll, I had an instant idea of a wig she would look best with. I didn't even have to browse sites for that long - it just came out randomly, the right one. I'm looking for a second one with a similar style right now - just so that she has a bit of freedom and the wig doesn't get too fuzzy with time.
      So I'd say - for me, there's something about the doll that suggests a specific hair color and shape, not the other way round.:)

5. I think deep down I bought Jaszi to look like a redhead (and that she resembled Lena Katina from t.A.T.u). There was one wig I bought her before she came home. When I tried it on, it didn't look right.

I think the dolls (sculpt, mold, and personality) choose the wig. That and if you think a wig is absolutely gorgeous, you want to buy it. It's a mix of both though usually I'm the one who chooses the wig.

6. My first BJD changed of character before arriving home because of a wig I saw. With it I found out the character she was really going to be and since then all my other BJD, most of them from the same title (One Piece manga and anime series) and a couple of own creation ones (Those from my writings), came with their personalities/sculpts first, and with them their features including colours of eyes, types of clothes, special accessories,... and among them all also hair, so their wigs.

7. Well, technically *I* choose the wig... but usually that's more like I choose the colour and buy a few wigs in that colour to try on the doll. If I could just buy one wig, and have it fit and look good, that would be a miracle - sadly, what looks good on a website, doesn't always look right on the doll it's intended for!

So I guess it's the doll that chooses the wig in the end, lmao.

8. I pick wigs that suit the doll's character. Depending on the doll, I can sometimes get wigs that are right on what their hair should look like. Other times I'm forced to compromise, because there just isn't a wig that really looks like what I want. I've never bought a doll to suit a particular wig. I like wigs and wig shopping, but the importance of the wig is how it relates to the character rather than the other way around. Sometimes it will take me several tries to get a wig that really works for the character.

9. I choose the wig. Kind of. It really has to be complimentary to the doll sculpt. Like how humans get cuts/styles that in theory should be most flattering to their face or fit their personality best.

10. The wig chose the doll. I was trying some wigs on my boy and I thought I'd never let him 'rock' the long hair style, but that wig really really really looked good on him. So that wig chose my boy, and he will probably be getting a long hair wig soon. teehee..

11. The doll choses. All mine are OCs with specific wig needs. It does usually take a try or two before I get one I'm reasonably happy with, though . . . However, my Maki T.'s character is a performer, so he can have - and does have - all kinds of flashy wigs :lol:.

I do have some wigs (and eyes) that I love but have no plans to use - yet am reluctant to get rid of because they're so nice :sweat.

12. Ooo, wig shopping is a pain in the butt! Well, I definitely chose the specific wig, but the shape of the doll's face determined which types of wigs would look good on her. To start, I looked at owner photos of the doll I'm getting and saw which style of wig framed her face the nicest. I decided on a shorter, straighter cut since it makes her look older and I'm trying to keep as far away from all the lolita stuff as possible. Then I chose a color that would go well with her skintone. It was a lot like deciding on a hairstyle in real life. Finding a wig that actually matched the criteria I set was a totally different story...

13. UGH, the wig chooses the doll, which SUCKS... I've bought so many gorgeous wigs that I MYSELF love, only to slap them on my dolls and find they are all wrong on all of them! For instance the Soom wig I got, the shoulder length silver number with the purple streaks in back - LOVE IT but it looks terrible on all my boys. I hate when that happens.

I had intended for Dayne to have a black fur wig with a red streak - cliche, I know, but I wanted it anyway - turned out he looked stupid in it, and so I went with that much coveted Luts KDF black boys' cut wig and it suits him perfectly. Jake never looked good in anything but a long black fur wig. My abadon, I wanted him to have long silver locks, but in the end all that works for him is a gray fur wig.

14. The wig chooses, sometimes no matter how much you love the wig, it does not work with the doll it was intended for.

15. The doll can sometimes also choose the wig - I've had this happen with my boy - he chose a wig (Leekeworld, short, black, messy.) that was intended for one of my incoming dolls, and now refuses to give it up for any other wig.

Which means I've had to buy another wig for my incoming, because he needs to have black hair.

I have similar problems with eyes...

16. I choose the wig.
      But some wigs I liked just didn't look good on my dolls, so I had to look for another one.. XD
      So I don't really know..

17. I've never quite understood what people mean when they say the doll "tells" them something, like it tells them its name or hair colour etc. I am 100% sure I make the decisions because I'm the type who doesn't have a character-driven doll. Yes, my dolls have names and personalities that I issue them (though they're both based on real people, one on me and one on my husband so it's easy to decide what they need as I know both people very well!) and as such, I'm the one who makes calls on what clothes, eyes, and wigs they need. Still, even when I did have dolls that were supposed to develop deeper personalities and stories, it just never happened. I was never able to make that sort of deep connection with a doll and as such, no doll has ever told me anything. It would seem weird to me if it ever did, lol!

18. I get the doll first, then try on wigs. Whatever looks best stays. It's more artistic for me than character-driven.

Sometimes I'll have two or three completely different wigs (colour,style,etc.) for each doll that I switch out every little while for a new look when I get tired of the old look. My dolls don't have strong characters as it is, and besides, even if they did, what person really keeps the same haircut, or possibly even the same hair colour their entire life? (unless you're like... Naruto or some anime character. Then the rules of outfit changing don't even apply to you for some reason).

19. Hmm, for me, it depends on whether my doll is based on a character I have already formed/sketched before arrival or a doll I "mold" into a character by itself as I play with and pose him/her.

If s/he already has a solid character plan, then I will look for wigs that specifically come with his personality/character design (if I have drawn it). If s/he is the type of doll that I buy but did not have a character in mind... I "interact" with my doll and see what kind of a feeling or image I get when playing with him or her and then choose wigs based on that. However, this sort of "blank personality" doll usually goes through a few wigs before I find just the right one for his/her character. :sweat

Usually for me, color isn't a huge factor, it's just the hair style like bangs vs. no bangs, short vs. long, wavy vs. straight vs. curly, etc. ^^;;;

20. For me, all my characters have particular hairstyles, so it's just a matter of finding the right color and size for my boys. Korin went through three before he found the one that suited him perfectly. Yoru's is SO particular I had to make his myself.

I think some dolls definitely choose their wigs, though. I once watched a little Beyla literally throw off every wig that was placed on her head. XD Guess she didn't like those styles...