1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the doll chose the wig - or does the wig chose the doll?

Jun 3, 2009

1. I think the doll probably chooses the wig. Your doll has to find a wig that suits their features.

2. In my case... Neither. The company chose the wig for the doll. When I was saving up for my first BJD, I didn't have extra money to get the wig I wanted at first, so I had to deal with the random wig they sent me with her. It wasn't a bad thing. In fact, it fit her very well, so I wasn't put off by it or anything, it just wasn't what I had intended.

When I finally got the money to buy the wig, I realized that it just didn't look right when I put it on her. In fact, it looked bad. After a week I finally just put the original wig back on her. The more I think about it, the more I realize what the problem with the wig was now, but I'm not sure I want to spend another 30+ bucks for something that might end up in the closet as well.

3. My first doll was chosen for her sculpt, a white skinned Garden of Dolls Nabiyah, but it was the faux fur wig from Ebay that determined her personality and then her name, Glisse. Now I've ordered a normal skin Nabiyah for company for Glisse and already bought the red-headed Jpopdolls wig I envisioned for her. But Glisse tried the darn thing on and looks so great in it that she may turn out to be Glynne (redhead) instead. I'm not even sure I like the name Glynne, but it's out there and it isn't going away. I'm just waiting it out til the new girl arrives to see how this all shakes down...

4. It goes both ways... >.> Sometimes, when you see your doll, you imagine the wig that will look good on her/him. You go and buy one, and end up regretting the decision. Then sell it, buy another, and regret again... must do it several times until you find "the one". (_ _) It happened to me before. Other times, you buy a wig because you like it, and try it on your dolls (all of them) and not even one of them can bring "life" to that wig, so you must let it go, or buy another doll that will fit it. >.> It's kinda like trial and error, I guess.

5. Both for me too! Sometimes, I plopped the wig I chose on the doll and it just works perfectly and other times, they decide they didnt like the wig and looks ugly/stupid in them, it's the cue to get a new wig for them! ;3

6. My dolls chose their wigs, of course.
      Each of my dolls usually have more than 4 wigs for themselves LOL

7. Dolls choose. I merely "suggest", as I only buy the wigs I like. But how good or right it actually looks depends on the doll.

I bought Volks Johanna's wig secondhand because I liked it, but it didn't just suit my Volks Iris at all (no surprise I guess), and Johanna/Iris even go so far as to share the same headmold! That particular wig happened to match another girl of mine just fine though, so all is well.

8. I was just looking at Lut's heat resistant wigs, and the doll i am going to get is very cute-ish girly looking, and it sorta has pigtails, so i :love it.

9. my doll definitely chooses the wig, lol he's more important than the wig XD

10. I choose the wig. n_~ One of my favourite things about ball-jointed dolls is the easy ability to change wigs. I like buying wigs in a variety of colours and styles, so that I can change them to suit my mood. (Although one of my dolls has a very large head, which makes that rather difficult! I swap wigs often on my other doll, since it is very easy.) I haven't found any wigs that I thought needed a different doll, or dolls that I thought would be better in a different wig. I like experimenting. Oftentimes I settle on a wig that I like the best, but I've noticed that I tend to revert to very easy-to-care-for wigs, not necessarily the ones that I like the look of the best.

11. I chose the wig that I think will fit the style and character of my doll. In a certain way I have visualized what my doll will be like and look like (since she's not here yet!). I looked at tons of pictures and wig styles on the headmold and after a while I recognized how certain wig styles and colors carried out the personality that I really like and think will suit my doll. But after a while I found a wig that did have the color, and somewhat the style, but with a twist on what I originally thought would be the one. So I suppose I myself did choose, but with the subject still missing my vision on the doll certainly helped. I wonder what choosing the next wig will be like, once she's finally here!

12. At first I chose the wig... because I like it's style/colour, but then I thought... "I can't imagine my doll wearing this wig of this colour" so in the end, the doll chooses the wig. Good thing, because I would end up getting a lot of random wigs ...for cosplay purposes. xD

13. For me, the eyes chose the wig. I was orginally planning on straight black hair when I bought the doll, but when she arrived she had red eyes, so I ended up buying a wavey red wig. I also have the straight black wig now, but for some reason I never get around to trying it out on her.

14. Good question! I've been shopping around for my first bjd and had narrowed it down to two choices...a cranky HZ Feng WuYa or a flirty Ringdoll Spencer. I was originally leaning towards to the Ringdoll but I liked the moodiness of the HZ face. Then I saw a wig on ebay that screamed "BUY ME" and that made my decision for me! The fur wig is snow white with electric blue tips. I couldn't picture that on the cranky HZ but Spencer's mischievous smile and snow white skin seems like a perfect fit. The original idea I had for a "serious" character is going out the window as I find myself shopping for electric blue colors, sparkly silver boots, and thinking of the mischievous little twerp that Spencer will be when he finally comes home. :)

The wig finalized the decision for me in this case and I find that it's redefining the character I had in mind. <3
      [​IMG]
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...053082&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2280wt_911

15. For me, usually the doll chooses the wig... I know with my Iplehouse Luna, I had the hardest time finding a wig that looked right with her gray skin tone. When I tried on a long charcoal gray wig, it just seemed to scream "this is it"! Now she has officially stolen that wig from its original intended wearer. :lol: In that case, I'd say she definitely chose that one!

Though I did style my first doll in a crazy rainbow theme partially just so I could go wild and buy all sorts of funky wigs for her!

16. most of my dolls choose their wigs, once i bought a wig that i really loved for one of my girls, but when she had it on she looked kind of angry, displeased to say the least. i tryed on various wigs on her, but she only seems to like one...

17. After purchasing my doll, I went on a wig hunt for her. It was actually really difficult to find a wig for her, since I had no idea what I wanted for her let alone what would look good. But I found the same model wearing a wig that was simply gorgeous! I looked at other wigs that the same doll modeled and finally chose one. It fit the way I wanted my doll to look as well as have her personality shine through it. I was just lucky I had a better look at what colors looked good on the model. x3

18. Even though I chose the wigs in the first place, picking ones that I like best, in the end my dolls won and have it their way. They always let me know because the wigs that they don't like fly out the moment I tried hard to put them on :lol:

19. Kotori is the doll I bought the most wigs for... seriously. I think she accumulated three wigs and 1 more on the way. (That isnt counting her Shinku wig for her rozen maiden costume i have to buy her either! xD)
      I loved Kotori's mold with the light blonde hair every time I go to change it, I just dont. It just feels like she likes her default blonde one better. So who knows whose picking this wig!

20. I have general ideas for wigs for my dolls-for instance, Florian goes either red-headed, gray or black-but beyond that, they've all got opinions on what they want and sometimes I'm surprised. For instance I bought a Soom Ai wig intending it for my Beyla Noelle, but on a lark one day I tried it on my RS Song and now it's definitely his. I really intended Danica to be blond, and I have blond wigs for her, but she doesn't like them. She's currently wearing a burgundy wig. Most of my dolls are either size 6/7 (5 dolls) or 8/9 (3 dolls) so they all switch around and steal from each other. Poor Liath, my floating head, is my only 9/10 and she's already got four wigs all to herself. I love buying wigs and need to get bigger wig boxes. Going to try making some customs here soon.