1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your age reflect on the dolls you purchase?

Oct 22, 2005

1. Most of mine are around my age (27) I have one the same age, and a couple who are older. Most are in their late teens/twenties though. I don't have "children" type characters, so maybe that says more about me XD

2. Really interesting question.

I am, shall we say, more on tha mature side (could probably be most of your's mother). And I definately like more mature sculpts. But then, I haven't been fond of child like looking dolls since I was a child (under 12), and I came into this via Fashion Dolls, which are clearly designed to be on the mature side.

3. I own minis because I like their size, but two of my dolls represent full-blood angels (Cady and Tam) and the other three are sisters--all teenagers--who have some angelic blood in them. In my storyline, angels, being long-lived, physically mature very slowly. Therefore, the underdeveloped bodies of my cast make sense. ^_^

4. Interesting question--I don't think my age plays a role, so much as my other interests. I like teenage to young adult boy dolls in large part because I'm also a big yaoi fan. I also have plans to buy some dolls to represent characters from a story that I wrote.

5. Interesting topic! :daisy
      I also am in my 30's, and although my dolls look about 15 or even 20 years younger than me, I don't consider them my children.
      As a matter of fact, all of them are magical beings/spiritual creatures, so their real age is not shown by their physical aspect :wink:
      For example, Mickey looks as if he's a 13-year-old boy, whereas in reality he is an asexual spiritual being somewhat similar to what people call "Angels".
      Yuki looks as if he's about 16, whereas he is just about one year old: he's a snow elemental (a very simple kind of snow fairy).
      Rama (looking anything between 19 and 21 years old) is a yasha, an animal spirit/demon belonging to the Hindu/Buddhist tradition. He was a youngster in what we call Medieval Age.
      Casey is a kitsune, a Japanese changeling/shape-shifter fox demon. S/he also was a rather young demon in Medieval times, even though s/he now appears to be around 10-12 years old.
      Oliver and Marian appear to be around 14 years old, whereas they are just a few months old: as a matter of fact, they are a sort of golems, statues that acquired a sort of life of their own through magic.

6. I'm 29, I have a 13-year-old daughter (um, started early), and all of my dolls are teenagers or adults, with the exception of Jinx (who is an ageless garden-imp with the personality of an eight-year-old in a physically mature body -- Elfdolls have boobs!). While I love other people's Cutie Delfs and Sweet Dreams Yo-SD, I'm really not craving child-dolls for myself.

I'm not sure why most of my dolls are five or ten years younger than me (aside from Lysandra-the-vampire and Jinx-the-imp) -- I'm comfortable with my age and look forward to turning 30. I think that it's because I tend to judge their age by how old their sculpt makes them appear to be, as well as their personalities . . .

I'd say that Marten is in his early thirties, while Aislinn is about 23 because of her amount of 'life experience'. And my DODs are late-teenagers as opposed to children, even though they have a less-developed body sculpt . . . mostly because their faces are so knowing, as opposed to some of the more "innocent" and childlike face sculpts on similar bodies. I just think of them as being short ;)

Some people seem to want child dolls because they are parents or want to be . . . others may prefer adult dolls because they're not interested in children, or because they have children and don't need a child doll to reenact that experience . . . everybody's motivations are different, though, lots of people have child dolls who *don't* want children, because child-dolls don't make the same demands as flesh-and-blood children do!!

I don't think you can generalize about motivations towards wanting a particular 'age group' of dolls, but it's cool to see everyone's experiences and thoughts on the subject!

-- Andi <3

7. The dolls that Im getting will be based of of various stories that Ive written and comics that I have drawn. Usually I dont give ages to any of my charecters (not sure why yet)
      but the styles that I will dress them in are more Art deco influenced than anything, of course that could change once they get here.

I wont see them as children mostly because the house is filled with them everyday (luckily they belong to other people and not me) so the idea of a child charecter isnt very appealing, although I do like some of the child like molds and may get one someday, it wouldnt be a child once I had it.

oh and im 24

8. I like both the mature dolls and the mini SD-sized ones, but don't care for the really mini ones or those with baby-ish/small children looks. I really like Hounds, but don't think I'd ever buy one. I also love the Volks F-16 sculpt too. I love Unoa Lusis, Dollmore Amos, and DoD Camine as well. *0*

I think my EL is perfect for me. ^^ I'm 22 years old and see him as being in his 20s too (if I had to decide on an age). I do plan on having a kid, but I don't really like babies. x'D I want them to start off at the age of 3, atleast then I could have a converstaion with them. ~lol

9. I'm in my early 20's, and I tend to prefer dolls that are younger than me, at least physically. I do like to "baby" my dolls some (my SDC sleeps in a doll carriage near my bed!), and unlike what I've seen with some people's dolls, mine aren't rebellious and know that I'm their provider. ;) So given this, it makes sense that my dolls are mostly younger and less experienced than I am. And since I'm fairly young, this translates to younger dolls! My oldest, physically, is about 17, though I do have a childish 600+ year old Sprite.

If I had kids, though, I'd imagine that I might want my dolls to be more "mature" companions, rather than something else to baby. :daisy

10. I'm 20, and my dolls are 16-19, approximately (one for every year! ^_^). I chose those ages for them because I remember being a teenager very vividly (and was one until recently), and figured I would be able to portray a more realistic 17-year-old than, say, a 35-year-old.

11. I'm 17, and the dolls I have or plan to have are in their 20s-30s or are ageless somehow. No kids, nor any plans to ever have any, so no young dolls. Even when I was planning on having minis, they were closer to my age -- 14-17 or so.

12. I'm 21 and I find that my dolls are slightly younger (17-20yr old range). To me, it feels like they are like best friends that depend on you, rather than a daughter or a son. Probably because I feel that I'm a bit on the young side for kids, and I'm not really planning on any until my late 20s, early 30s.

They don't feel like younger siblings either. It's kind of interesting, and I like the bond/relationship ^_^

However, I was thinking about a Hound or Bermann and I'd prolly make him older O_O I think it's a being single thing LOL

13. I cant say my age completely reflects the ages of the dolls Im planning...Im 14, and all of my dolls that I have planned out so far are either very close to my age or older. When making characters, I've always preferred to make them around 14-17 years old which might have to do with it. Either that or they're ageless and look a certain age.

But I do have two younger siblings and I can barely stand them most of the time, so I doubt I'll be making any young dolls anytime soon. Im not good with younger kids at all. ^^;;

Even if I had a child doll, they would probably be alot more mature for their age, because Im like that with my characters.

14. Well... I'm 16 (started in this hobby with 14...) and got Chocolate, a DOD Mir, wanting her to be like my daugther... still.... I don't also have kids and it'll take long to have it o.o
      I never had a Boyfriend but I love making couples o.o
      Mostly, I don't think so. - I have 2 minis and I'm saving for a big girl... so... yeah o.o'

15. I'm 18 and I don't really think my age reflects much on the dolls I purchase as much as my interest do. I love kids so I find myself drawn to younger looking dolls, even if I make them be in their teens I'm still mostly drawn to sculpts that look young and child like.
      So I really think my interest play more of a role in the dolls I choose rather than my age. Also I love to write and draw so some of my dolls are based on characters of mine and most of my characters tend to be in their mid teens and younger. As for the dolls I have they are around my age and younger, my SD size dolls are 19, 18, and 12 and my MSD size dolls are 8 and 7

~Meg

16. Wow guys thanks for all your great answers! This was something I pondered about lately.

I don't see my dolls as "children" per se as just as bunch of characters who have come to stay with me :) Since I'm older I don't think I could ever pull off gothic style outfits, which makes me happy to make them for my dolls. Kei would be about 18, Astaroth would be ageless though his personality would be mid twenties, and Leander I'm placing at about 16-17.

You all have such interesting stories and everyone seems to have a different view on my question, that's awesome! Thank you again!

17. I love children and I have a very maternal inclination towards them. All of my dolls are younger than me for that reason. (I'm 19. The dolls are is 4 1/2, 5, and 12. ) I don't think my age has anything to do with liking dolls that represent children, more like it's just in my personality. Who I view as 'children' does depend on my age, though, I suppose. ^^

Lately I've considered older doll characters (Around 18-20ish) as well, but they're both related to the others through caretaker roles...and my relationship with them would still be somewhat maternal, since I would still be their provider in a sense.

18. I'm 23 myself, and my El, Kaido, seems to have also claimed that age. It works well for his character, I think. Maturing, but still young and reckless. I do have plans for my next Doll to be a DOD U, but that's hardly because I like children. Rather, I abhore children, but again this particular doll merely seems to connect with the character I have in mind, who's age will be indeterminate as he shall be of a race known as the Endless. To me, my Dolls are silent residents and through me have their stories told.

19. I'm 57. Did I hear someone scream?

My Hound will be sixteen or seventeen. I chose this age because to me it's when your 'life' really begins. As a child you aren't allowed to make your own choices really and you have to live within the boundries your family allows you.

At seventeen or eighteen you're just beginning to sense what life is all about. The world is out there and it's an exicting, mysterious, scary place. You've learned to fly and now you want to soar, to flex your wings and ride the winds to where ever they take you.

You haven't quite lost your innocence or the ability to wonder and believe in magic. Responsibility and duty have not yet weighed you down.

Every possibility is within your grasp and you haven't yet realized that forces beyond your control can and will hamper you.

You consider yourself and adult, not knowing that age and maturity are two different things, and that it will take years to realize the dreams you had as a child.

You are that complex combination of hope and helplessness, enthusiasm and fear, confidence and self doubt, eagerness and placidity.

The world is at you feet and you'll enjoy it until it kicks you in your butt! Life has many lessons to teach you, some painful and some benificial.

It's a great age! I can sort of, almost remember it, if I wasn't getting senile! So, no, I don't think your age has a whole lot to do with the age you choose for your dolls. I think it's the age you are either most familiar with, the age you enjoyed the most, or the age you wish you could experience again.

I certainly wouldn't want my doll to be 57. Then he'd be an uninteresting, boring, cynical old fart and who would want that?

20. Im 18 (19 this month, like it matters.) Kiyoshi is, mentaly around 14 - 15. Bailey is 17, but likes to play like he's older than that. Nomi (my future hound) will be 29 and my future f-17 will be about 22. The majority of my dolls are older than me,so I dont think my age has any affect on my dolls age, more so the chacarter that the dolls are based off of does.