1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your age reflect on the dolls you purchase?

Oct 22, 2005

1. I'm turning 17 tomorrow and I like dolls of all "ages" but I do admit I lean to aesthetically older looking dolls. Right now I only have one that's 17. I'm getting another that will be 28-29-ish (waiting for him to ship), I also am planning to get one that's around 35-40 years old , and a younger one that's about 6-10.

2. I'm in my 40s and my dolls are mostly tinies, but they're all mature nature spirits even if they don't look it. I don't know exactly what age I think of my MSD as. She's not a child but I don't really have an age in mind for her other than she's an old soul in a young body. If that makes sense.....

3. i am 28 and my girls ages range from 18 to about 24 so they do tend to skew younger.

4. I'm 25, and I enjoy all aesthetics, but admittedly I mostly like dolls with more youthful appearances. As for clothing, that is usually determined by the character and setting. Sometimes it isn't, though.

5. I'm 63, here are my dolls - you tell me.
      Wide range of types, but I guess my age makes me not afraid to mod the heck out of something. I play with my dolls, they aren't sitting in a cabinet.
      [​IMG]

6. I'm twenty five years old and like dolls that belong into pretty much every age range aesthetically. While I enjoy the look of the younger looking dolls, I definitely wish there were more "truly mature" sculpts. That's why I got one of my older looking heads... looking, well... even older, little tired wrinkles and all. My characters generally range from young (7-10 years of age for the yo-SD sized ones) to teenagers to adults to even older and quite a few "timeless" dolls when it comes to the fantasy species.

7. I have no idea if my age reflects on my dolls' ages. I honestly don't have ages for most of them. Post-pubescent is all I care about. I have never liked kids. So as long as my girls have a chest and hips, I'm fine with it. I think part of why I don't like the doll I just got is because he doesn't seem fully matured. I am going to try a tiny son, just to be a chibi, not to be a baby.

8. I'm 19-years-old and I like dolls of any size or look any age. The 5 dolls I own now range from 8 through 28-years-old; only one is 8-years-old and the others are 18-28-years-old. So...I guess it sort of reflects my age as of right now? I just look for dolls that fit my characters and the character's age, and most are between ages 15-25-years-old. Anyway, though I do have not own yo-sd's or particularly old-looking sculpts, I still quite enjoy them and would like to own those someday.

9. This thread was started in 2005, so those who posted early, or the one who started the thread, may or may not still be in BJD. If so, they are 11 years older. It would interesting to know if those folks have changed, gotten different dolls, changed their dolls, sold dolls and replaced them with different categories.

Yes, I do think that age affects the type of dolls, but will walk that backwards if I am wrong. There are no hard and fast rules, and there are always exception to every rules. It seems from the posts, on other threads as well as this one, that there are types favored by different ages. It seems the younger people favor the large-eyed dolls, or the smaller 'cute' dolls, the pet dolls, manga and cosplay. Their dolls seem to be on the average, those less expensive ones, as they are often still in school or just starting out in their careers, with little or no disposable income. As age and income go up, the price of dolls does too. Giving a doll a character or writing stories, or picture stories, seems something more younger people do, as well as collecting vampire dolls. I wonder if heavily modding dolls is age related, as all I can think of is that I paid a good deal for the look that the original artist created, would this activity devalue my purchase?

Note: I am now at the retirement age, and have noticed that all the dolls I have kept a pic of as a possible future purchase, have a certain look. I like very pretty dolls, somewhat ethereal and innocent looking. There is no special size or age for me, as my first two are female an SD and a MSD, and I am looking at a couple of child dolls, both are boys. My husband and I have no children, sadly, and my dolls are not a substitute. Neither have any of my pet dogs, no, they are dogs, not 'fur children'.

10. Maybe. I'm not a kid and the cutsy Asian inspired BJD dolls I just don't relate to them very well. I notice a lot of people that are likely younger than I do. I like very realistic human like dolls for the most part but then again I came to BJD's from collecting fashion dolls so that's part of that. You'd think actually given that that my whole collection would be MSD sized dolls but it's actually mostly SD sized dolls. I do have a few but for some reason when it comes to BJD's I've been very attracted to the 60cm range. I do have some fantasy dolls but not much by way of the cartoon like ones. My fantasy thing it's less about dolls that are like that then about using unusual skin colors. I like pretty realistic dolls I just happen to like them in green, blue, purple, white, mostly bright colors or at least wearing them...

11. Well, I'm getting close to middle age and I prefer the cutesy anime and anthro type dolls. I used to want the realistic styled bjds, but now I just want cute and happy. However, there is one doll on my wish list that will be mature, but still anime style. Or more precise, comic book inspired styling (Bishonenhouse Vince). He will be the odd one out with his dark looks and daring clothing choices. It will be interesting!

12. I am ancient compared to most of you and have collected dolls for decades. Overall though I don't think my age has ever had any influence on the dolls I have gotten. Tastes change, we can become saturated with certain doll type, fave manufacturers come and go, but none of the likes have been tied to my age at the time of the purchases.

13. My age has absolutely no correlation to the types of sculpts I prefer. I don't place ages on the sculpts I collect either. I prefer unusual sculpts which keeps me fairly grounded in the fantasy side of the hobby. So for me age has no relevance. Be that for me in respect of my tastes or my dolls as a perceived age based on their aesthetic. I guess I would view age as a boundary and prefer to keep my hobbies free from those as it just places restrictions where they are not needed.

14. I think it's not my age that reflects on my dolls, but my preference at the moment ? :lol: When I'm into the superhero like from Marvel or DC, I'll be all over the tall & muscled male doll, when I'm into K-Pop, I will look for Korean looking doll (male & female), etc. :wiggle

15. I feel that my internal age reflects on my doll choices. My mental age. My real age is 25, and I have a kid, but I don't feel that that pertains to what my doll choices are. I like mostly MSD dolls, both girls and boys, but with an emphasis on the boys. Mostly out of aesthetic preference. Mentally I swear I'm more like 10-13. And so I made my doll around the same age, because I feel he is a reflection of my internal self. I have a liking for all sizes, but my preference is definitely in the 40-50cm range. (Plus there's the fact that I have chronic pain in my chest that worsens if I lift anything heavy, and some SD size dolls are too heavy for me to pick up comfortably.)

16. When I was younger I was more drawn to the cool looking more mature male dolls and more extreme anime/jpop-inspired outfits but now that I'm older (and my biological clock is ticking on overdrive) I'm way more drawn to the cute and child-like MSDs and tinies :sweat