1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your age reflect on the dolls you purchase?

Oct 22, 2005

1. Mine dont really have exact ages. but I do have 3 little ones - and yes they are young - they couldnt be anything else (2 Petite Ai's and a Cutie Delf). I dont see the litte ones as my kids though.. they have relationships with the older dolls.

I have two Cecile's and one is definitely older/more mature than the other. The oldest of my big boys is definitely Zimraan.. the Stranger (Seon Mun).. he has definitely got age in his eyes. Next in age would be Quinn (Cecile) and Tariq (F16), Dimitre (Sch A) and Elliott.. then younger.. Montoya (Cecile) and the CP boys. The youngest big kids would be Dominique (Michele) and younger still Thomas and Ryan St Clair (f-09's). So a fair age range in the boys.

My big girls have two age groups.. the older ones like Lishe (Vamp Elf and Regular) and Ryung (Dreaming and Regular) and the younger ladies... Eloise (Cyndy), Lily (Nana) and the youngest of the big girls Evangaline (Kun) - she would be a mid teen.

I didnt chose their ages.. just their looks and personalities brought it all out and they couldnt be anything else to me.

Dont know how much my own age has to do with how I see my dolls..

2. I'm 20...
      I calculated Kelyn's age to be about 18, but he's older than that...He seems to be 20.
      Aneirin is 25.
      Taliesin is actually 29 or so.

So, my boys are my age or older. I'm not sure if my age affects them so much as my experience? I know if I were younger, my boys would still be about this age.

3. Well I am 41, no kids, and prefer the younger-looking dolls and tinies.

My Kristamin/Serendipity Sharmin is about 16 (tenth grade)
      Keralyne/CH Jr is about 10 (fourth grade)
      Kobey/CH LJ Jupiter is about 7 (first grade)
      Kalvin/Serendipity Aga Fairy Cookie is 4. (preschool) :D

4. I don't really think of Vasiley having an age..he's pretty old, but he doesn't remember anything of his past life(which was, around 500 years)so he certainly doesn't act like he's 500+..he acts more like he's..well..I don't know, sometimes he's really naive and childish, and sometimes he's pretty grown up. I guess he just acts like a 500+ boy who lost his memory.

His other personality though, the one that does remember his life, acts like a spoiled, all-knowing brat *grins* so, with all his memories, he still acts like a 17/18 year old boy.

5. I am 26 :oops:

I can't really tell what age group my doll is supposed to resemble. By default she's supposed to be 10 - but after customizing she seems ageless to me. Like the Child-Like Empress from the Never Ending Story maybe?

I don't personally want to own a tiny but I enjoy looking at pictures of them. I do entertain the notion of getting a Cutie Delf though. I am however more inclined to be drawn to the older male dolls.

6. I'm 21 and I've always been a sucker for older men, and the more mature sculpts, however... the dolls that I fell in love with (DOD Yen and U) are younger looking and are aged 18 and 20. I don't really know what happened there but I like it :oops:.

7. lol.. elfmoon! Your post made me laugh. I am 48, and as one of the few olders members, I can relate.

My real life daughter just turned 18 so your post rang so very true.

As for my dolls, I have 4. My hound is about 17, just because that is how he looks. He has that teenage boy approaching manhood sorrowful, slightly worried look (lol). My Lishe is ageless.. almost like an angel would be. My NariPon tiny is just a cute toddler, not necessarily my own. (I don't want to own a toddler again..lol) Maybe she's my grandchild..(now I'M screaming). And lastly my MSD Cein.. She doesn't have an age either..although she looks like a child, her makeup is mature..so she is ageless too I guess, like a fairy.

8. ER...IM 20, married, have a 1 year old and another baby on the way(What a mess eh? but SUPER happy^^)...but I still like my dolls to look around 16-23ish. And I dont see my dolls as my children but more like my friends^^ I can dress Juyoku up the way I used to before the whole family thing happened. I like getting dolls that look in the age range of young adults. Yay for young smooth sculps!

Tinys...TOO young...I already have enough of those to take care of in real life XP

9. I've just turned 18, and am in posession of a Cutie Delf which I absolutely adore. But I wouldn't say he's my child or anything, despite appearances. He's more like an extension of myself that I can allow to be grumpy and snarky.

10. I'm 40 and have been married for almost 15 years. My husband and I decided early on not to have children for a variety of reasons. I've never regreted this decision other than when I sometimes picture the ideal situtation and children. I hadn't intended my dolls to be child substitutes, but in a way, that's just what they have become, ideal child substitutes. Quiet, beautiful, well-dressed, clean, as interesting and intelligent as I choose to make them and we can go away for weeks and leave them alone without getting arrested. The only one who isn't quite a child to me is Rei (Sakaki). I see him as being 24 and more of a friend.

My dolls are also something else to me that I think has more to do with where and when I live, rather than my age. I live in downtown SF and like any big city, its downtown is a pretty ugly place, with drug addiction, homelessness and mental illness abounding. My dolls are an oasis of civility in this wasteland. I like them to be as beautiful as possible and to be surrounded by lovely things -- their world is a wonderful fantasy that I can share every once in a while. :grin:

11. Well, Christopher Guest is 57. And Wolf Blitzer, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Steve Tyler, Todd Rundgren, Cat Stevens, Robert Plant, Jeremy Irons, Bryant Gumbel, oooh, Chris de Burgh, anybody remember him?, Ted Nugent.... I'd have dinner with any of them. Except maybe Ted Nugent. So there are SOME interesting 57 year old men. But not many!

I don't care for child dolls myself -- I prefer dolls who can wear stuff that is a bit more funky or unusual or arty. (Not that my dolls HAVE anything like that yet...but that's the plan!) :lol: I don't have any kids either, I don't much like them, especially the three horrible monsters that live downstairs from me.

12. Oh, I stand corrected!! There are some older male goodies out there! LOL! I'd add Sean Connery, but he's more like 67 (or older), but that's okay, he can leave his shoes under my bed any night!

And the scream I heard, Karen, I think it was me!

13. Well, hello all from another old fart...I'm 40 ( :barf ). (OOooh I've been waiting for an opportunity to use that barfing cat icon-- I love it!!) But I like to dress funky, have fun, jump around and do cartwheels with my kids (yep, I can still do cartwheels :grin: ) play loud music, and, of course, play with dolls. So I'm still a little bit of a kid at heart. I'm a part-time college professor, and enjoy the enthusiasm of my young students-- it's infectious! I also love the way many of them dress-- one of my Asian students wore the greatest outfit the other day, over the knee socks, loafers, short pleated skirt, funky ruffled blouse-- I wanted it for both me *and* my doll!

That said, there was definitely a period in my life when I preferred baby/young child dolls, and they were a sort of surrogate child for me. Now I have 2 young kids of my own and all my maternal urges are pretty well satisfied these days. I still love the little girl dolls, but my CP Jeong, Ellony ,is an older soul-- she looks about 12 or 13, but is really perhaps a hundred years old (she's a fairy, y'know :grin: ) I am also awaiting an AR Dana, but haven't worked out a character for her yet-- she'll probably be somewhere between 13 and 16. I think about these girls as being companions or friends, but not my children-- I've got enough real kids to take care of without adding dolls to the mix!!

14. I'm 24 and I like a large range of looks and styles in my dolls. However, I think that I maybe love my tiny dolls best. But I don't like children at all and I never want to have any of my own. I think I like the young-seeming dolls as an expression of my OWN childishness, not because I long for or like kids. Childhood is an age of mystery and wonder -- I think I like the young dolls because they represent a form of escapism from adult life. Or something like that. Also, they are incredibly cute.

15. I just looked it up -- Sean Connery is closer to 77! Yeah, I'dmake an exception for him too!

It's too bad that none of those goodies are actually available to us. :cry:

16. I was 20 when I joined the DOA Yahoo! Group and now I'm 24 (eek! Is that right???) and when I first started I was very into the more anime-ish, larger dolls. Then, I had to sell all of my dolls for financial reasons (SD10 Nono, MSD Sinsiya, DoD Leya, and Petit Ai Anael)

I'm back into dollfies now, but as I've gotten older, I've become into the more solmn dolls. I'm planning my next doll to be one of the more Asian-inspired sculpts (like Narsha, Narin, Choseol, etc...) Now I have a Lt-Line Fine-w and a Serendipity Aga Candy. Both are fairly unique, less obviously "beautiful" sculpts.

All I can say is that age has taught be about a quieter beauty, perhaps...

-Kimberly

17. I'm 42 and I think that age (or maybe that should be written as experience :)) does affect the dolls I like to a degree.

I remember when I was around 10, I fell in love with the fabric dolls you could purchase at gift stores (usually Hallmark I think) Their faces were painted fabric and they had large anime style eyes. They had wire wrapped bodies if I recall correctly, and they were anywhere from 8" or so to 24" tall. They were usually dressed up in elegant, frilly dresses of the Elizabethan or 1800s southern belle fashions.

In my late 20s/early 30s I was involved with making miniature dolls out of sculpy. At that time, I preferred the more contemporary look.

Now I find myself more drawn to dolls that are not necessarily conventionally pretty. I like those that are a little bit off. What is great about these dolls is that they can be pretty much whatever you want and there are enough choices available to attract all sorts of owners.

18. Hmmm...I'm 26, happily single, no children (although I have a 3-month old niece I am sometimes responsible for), and for the sculpts...well I've been a sucker for pretty boys (I watch way too much animé) and so my taste runs into those (yes I do consider my DoD Si a pretty boy--but I place his age arond 16-18ish)

I don't view my Ani (Alex) as being a pretty boy, he's just a cute little rambunctious 10-12 year old who likes to tackle-hug people and things along those lines--I plan to get his sister (another Ani, but obviously a girl one) and I'll see how she is. The dolls I think are mostly extensions of me...Ryu (my DoD Si) is my more serious and responsible side while Alex more or less embodies the happy-go-lucky side of me that I show off to everyone around me (and laugh at when they give me odd looks) ^__^

I plan on eventually getting DoD Too (another more mature small doll 'pretty boy' sculpt) and eventually a couple bigger dolls, but they're still options so I'm not going to think about them too much (though I do have an eye on DoD's Camine) lest they become a 'must have' ^_^

19. Duplicate post...oops. :oops: Sorry!!

20. I'm not sure if it's age or personality that affects it more. I'm 41, and in general I prefer the anime girls and the masculine, no doubt about it they're male boys. Perhaps it's the culture and times I grew up in, but I don't have the affection for the asexual/androgynous molds that a lot of folks seem to.

I also like the older/larger dolls much more than the little kid dolls - I never liked baby dolls even when I was a child, and I'm afraid they still don't appeal. But there are a couple that are awfully cute....

Marcia.