1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your age reflect on the dolls you purchase?

Oct 22, 2005

1. I really don't think it has as much to do with age as just the personality of the owner. I to missed yaoi as a youngster, though I've really gotten into it as a middle aged person.
      My guys are Keahi (Arashi) 8, Kane (f-16) 14, Shan (dollshe bermann) looks about 28 but no one knows, Kapono (dollshe hound) 22. The family is about to be expanded to include two modded to elves, Nahale (shinydoll Namae) 450 and to be named elf (shulze)200 both are 3rd age Tolkien type elf youngsters.
      I'm older than dirt, 58, been through two long term relationships and am now happily single enjoying the dolls, my doll friends, photography and life.

2. What a fun topic!

I have to admit that i misunderstood it at first though.. I thought... Oh yeah... the younger people want more stylized dolls and the older ones want more realistic ones ... or something!

But after reading this I find tastes are all over the place! How neat!

I'm 38 and most of my dolls are in the 10-15 yr old range. I love older "kid" dolls like the MSDs 'cause I always feel like a 10-year-old at heart.

I don't go for the sexy glamorous girls... I was never really into that sort of fashion-doll thing... Ugh! I can't imagine wearing all those uncomfortable expensive fashionable clothes and painting my face and coiffing my unruly stubborn hair...
      I feel generally weird on the inside, so I try to look fairly nondescript on the outside, haha!

My dolls are extensions of myself to some extent... The human children are streetpop (?) looking... a mishmash of mismatched styles and cute fur wigs. They are all city latchkey kids largely on their own. Then I have the Elf/Vampire/Other group, and when they find an outfit it becomes part of their identity, as though they sprang into being with the clothes as part of who they are... I hope that makes some sort of sense.

I don't think that any of my dolls are like 500 years old or anything. They all tend to be as new as they are literally... and rather in the process of discovering themselves. They don't take anything for granted!

As for tinies and children dolls... I have Ching, whom I love for her stylized sculpt. She is beautiful but strange, with her long blue hair and wide alien-like violet eyes. I think about getting a Narsha, but I'm not sure I'd like a more "realistic" child doll.

I have a 5-year-old son, and he is anything but doll-like, haha! A little wild puckish thing, contrary and rebellious in everything, but absolutely loving, cute and smart as a whip!

I'm not sure I want dolls that remind me of him or are opposite from him!

I am currently pondering BOY dolls... I have Chiwoo, but he's not a human, so he doesn't really count. :-)

3. I'm 20 who will eventually be married off about like 5 years from now (My boyfriend wants us to get marry after I graduate.) and hopefully have 2 kids by the time I'm in my thirties. My doll choices are kinda based on my dream of my own family. Elden and Maya represent me and my boyfriend and Remy and Allysia are the kids... And Mikael, well he's the bad boy who dates Allysia. =P

Eventually I would like to pass these dolls to my future daughter. Talk about thinking way ahead. O_o

4. I've only just turned 15 ^^;; A lot of people say I am more mature than other kids my age, and I guess that reflects in my writing. Most of my characters are in their early twenties O_o;; just because I find that their range of lifestyles, morals and emotions is wide, but definitely more in control than angsty teenagers >_>;; I have trouble writing them sometimes, since I haven't experienced a lot of what they have first hand, and as a result their story is incomplete. I'm still not sure whether I want them as dolls, but I have their shells all planned out, just in case.

I find myself more attatched to my younger looking character, though... I don't like to confine myself to any set age or gender, even... so they end up looking very childlike and androgynous, but with a creepy sort of wisdom, mistrust and intelligence that kids their age, shouldn't have ^^; It's actually a lot harder to find dolls that fit them then the older characters.

So I guess that my doll choices are really all over the place... I like it better that way ^_^

5. I love all sorts of dolls but only recently bought my first BJD, sharmin now Alida. She's a reflection of me, or so I thought..... There was me planning on putting her in purple hair and bright pinks and purple outfits, only to find She's wearing a gorgeous red wig and lots of lime green and shocking pink. I think of her as 17, now maybe she really is me at a younger age. I had red hair at 25 and road a motorbike, she has a Vespa! I'm not so keen on fashion dolls, yet she is their shape to some extent. I got her because I just loved her face and beautiful hands.
      Now I'm awaiting the arrival of Dollshe Ru. She captivated me with that sweet smile. I'm no keen on sad faces. I love her long skinny legs, definitely me as a kid, although I never grew tall. I want her to wear very girlie outfits, all lace and flowers.....
      In the end, I guess they are me, or some part of me. I've seen Aga Fairy Cookie and he is just too adorable, yet not too sad, but sold out and I don't have any savings as I'm buying wigs for Ru.
      I'm 49 next month, so I'm just enjoying dolls without interference from real children.... they just tolerate it, but thank goodness I have a hubby who really takes an interest in them and even buys them gifts!! Now that's what I call LOVE.....ahhhhhhh....

6. Well, I don't think my age so much reflects my choice in dolls. I'm 21, and at one time was a younger member of the boards. My dolls range in age from age 4 to 23. Even though I don't particularly like children, I still have a tiny. Most of the boy dolls I have are a bit younger or the same age as I am, although in reality I much prefer older men.

7. I'm almost 20. My dolls are almost-21 and 19, thus far, and the other two I plan on getting next are (respectively) 31 and 12 xD; I'm not terribly fond of children and won't be having any of my own, so the 12yr old is kind of an anomaly. Otherwise I like dolls my age or older. Same with real people, actually.

8. I'm 32 (just found my first white hairs! :...(), I have two daughters aged 13 and 11, and I don't think my age really reflects on the dolls I own. I have Taliesin, an Obitsu boy elf who is 19 going on ageless (i.e. looks young but is far older than he appears), Aunrae, an Obitsu elven vampiress whose age is anyone's guess, Ayame (Dollfie Dream/Obitsu hybrid) and Seraphina (Obitsu) who are sisters, with Seraphina the elder (somewhere in her mid-twenties), and Ayame the younger (maybe 19 or so). There are also the two MSDs, Neph (DoD Hoo) and Talula (Serendipity Shall); I'm not sure exactly how old they are - but they seem to be "the kids" in comparison to my larger dolls.

I don't much like the tinies though; most of them look as if they're sulky little pouty babies, and I didn't tolerate sulking from my own kids when they were younger, let alone from a doll! :lol:

9. I'm 17, and all the dolls I'm planning on are way older than me. Julien is 23, his twin siblings are 27, and the Heath I'm planning on will probably be somewhere in his 30s. The only exceptions are these twin MSDs that would be spirits and thus, ageless. Also, I'd love to have, maybe, a Yo-SD, a sleepy Suzuna that's an age goddess or spirit or something. x3

10. I just turned 46, no kids, about to get married for the first time XD

My dolls seem to have pre-existing personalities but also to develop their own. I've several times sold a doll and then been forced to get the same doll.

Anais I is Annat, a character from my book. So she's around 13.
      My Sasha-type F-16 is Huldis, another character - she's probably around 20.
      Denovo, my F-16 boy, is rather ageless. Denovo is an avatar of someone else :)
      Febe Kembel is just herself. I think she's about 15.

Little Dodo may be tiny but she looks quite mature. I think she may be a French girl called Eloise. Probably a teenager.

I'm not sure one can extrapolate a theory from that :) but I'm not keen on realistic baby dolls. Though I should love a Pocket Fairy Yoko.

11. Well I don't think any of the age factors influence me... I'm 18 and I absolutely love the concept of a loving family(not perfect but beatiful with all it's fluctuations) I am interested from the regular SD sized to the Cutie Delf size but I doubt I'd ever go smaller than that because I'd probably lose em(it'd be a waste of $200 no offend meant by this) the SD's are obviously my adults and I have 2 on the way yay! and the MSD range from young 7yr olds to teenagers of about 17...then the cuties are the babies of the family ranging from 6yr petite ai's to 2yr cuties... I love kids and Cutie Cory looks like my nephew so he's on my list. My family is very tightly knit and what more could I want of my BJD family ^_^

12. i'm 19, my doll is 13-14ish and a doll i'm buying soon is 16. they are brother and sister but i don't really consider them to be my kids. my girl is my friend and companion, not my child.

i find the yo-sd and leekeworld little ones to be very adorable, and i could see myself buying one someday, but that doesn't mean i want to be a real parent.

my doll likes to dress cute. anything lolita or pink. which isn't anything i'd wear. but she also has a little bit of interest in pre1970's styes, like i do.

13. HeHe- what a fun thread! Yes:love! to Sean Connery's shoes :wiggle- Nay! to Ted Nugent, :barf

Yea~ I'm middle-aged and I have all ages of dolls for different reasons~ at first I only got mature looking dolls as a fun interactive object of art to study, pose, photograph and learn from.

Today I have a number of dolls of differing ages because they look like actual people I love~ I have lots of fun using them to tease and play with their look-alikes.

Some I just plain old adore, some are Dreams-of-Me, some have theraputic value~ too many reasons to list... but I don't feel my age has much to do with any of my reasons for choosing a particular one...except I can afford more and sooner!!!!!

14. I'm 15 with plans for an 18, a 19, and a 22-year old. u__u;

Aaand possibly a 12-year old, depending on whether or not I keep my MSD.

I really don't think age affects it very much, it's more the person. And, as an adolescent with everything changing all over the place ( :XD: ), I think it's more likely to say that tastes will change. So age could affect ones dollie taste, but more to the individual person.

15. i am 15, and the character i have in mind is 12 ^^
      i am mostly oriented torward little and cute childs. and no, i don't think my age have nothing to do with this... maybe because my age changes every year, but my dolls will be forever the same age?

16. Since I started this account at the advent of my BJD obsession (which from the looks of things was about age... 12? Shock! Horror!) I think my taste in dolls has evolved, but it's still pretty much the same. I'm 14 and I can't stand the thought of making my very own sweet, angelic girl doll- it's just not me and I'd feel weird getting attached to such a stereotypically female object when I myself am not super-girlie in the modern sense. I'd get a doll that resembled Rossetti's Lilith, maybe, but not Alice in Wonderland. And since I'm still madly boy-crazy... it makes sense that I only want guys. Guys, guys, guys.
      The character I have in mind might age/de-age a little as I own him. At the moment, he's about 16/17. I'd be more likely to say, plunge him back into schoolgoing age than really bring him forward as *I* age unless I come into a sudden ton of money. Because that'd require a uniform.

17. All of my dolls are older than me, except Rayne and Coleon, who are my age. Maybe becauce Coleon is said to look like me? And Rayne is FCS so they are my age because they are more tailored to me. I'm fifteen, but I always write about people older than me in my fiction, I just have a greater capacity for the adult mind really than the child's. That's why even my minis aren't kids.

18. I'm a 14 year old girl...and I prefer girl dolls. I just think they look prettier than boy dolls.
      I think people who own all boy dolls are wierd O_o
      too many boys!

However, I have a wide range of dolls planned XD
      A 7 year old anemic girl [on the way]-43cm
      A 17 year old vampireish boy-43cm
      A 23 year old scientist boy-63cm
      A 20 year old scientist assistant boy-60cm
      aaaand two unaged/unisex dolls who are supposed to be...dolls for my 7 year old doll-30ish cm

they're all original characters that I've spent a lot of time thinking out.
      hehe...I'm still perfecting some of their stories.

I don't think that age reflects the dolls i like/the dolls i purchase >W<

19. I am old enough to have a child and several grandchildren. I don't expecially think of my dolls as any age, necessarily. I consider the ones that look like adults (I mainly prefer mature, realistic dolls) to be grown and the two or three I have that look like kids to be the age they look. There aren't any dolls that look my age, but I have ordered a minimee head of an older actor. I have a large collection of really tiny mature dolls and consider them to be adults as well. I don't really think much about the age thing; I just play with them and buy the ones I can't seem to live without.

20. I'm 53, no kids, lots of cats & generally prefer older, more realistic looking dolls though recently I've begun to appreciate the big-eyed but not anime girls. My dolls live in a fantasy version of our universe & many of them are hundreds of years old, some are even original creation beings, Immortals. I do have some that are in their 20s & 30s & even a few late teens. The only child I have is Not Doll Lab Lucy & I think of her as being about 10. The rest of my tinies are the mature ones.

I'm not into child dolls in general except for some very expressive artist pieces. And I definitely don't like babies or toddlers. Except for cats, I'm afraid I have no maternal instincts & the ages of my dolls reflect that.