1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your age reflect on the dolls you purchase?

Oct 22, 2005

1. I am 22 and I want a child so badly. But I have no boyfriend, no job and no understanding of love for humanoids, since I have Aspergers Syndrome. But that makes me love objects a lot, and these dolls seems perfect for me. I attach myself to inanimate objects so easily, like they were living beings. Just ask my plushies, I`ve had them with me since I got them, and I still bring them whenever I move. ... Getting a little teased by my friends for it. :sweat

And the dolls symbolizes my mental age, sort of. I still feel like a 8-year old. Its hard being a child trapped in a adult body, so since these dolls are more "qualified" for the older ones, I dont feel bad about buying them either. :)

2. I'll be 19 in a few months. I have no interest in children what so ever. My boys are in their mid-late 20s. And I prefer the more realistic looking sculpts. Younger and Anime looking sculpts are of no interest to me, even since I've been in this hobby ^^;

3. I'm another one of the older chicks... 38, married, no kids by choice... and I think that age (I'm not so sure I'd call it "maturity" given the hobby we're talking about- :|) is only one of many factors that affect how I chose, detail, outfit and interact with my dolls.

I usually feel like my not being a yaoi or j-rock fan, and not seeing the attraction of Gothic, Punk or Lolita street fashion make me much more of a stranger in a strange land than being too old to worry about final exams. :lol:

That said, my two Tiny dolls (Banjis) aren't children, my MSD-sized MiniFees are. They're pretty typical kids for their cultural setting, in spite of two of them being ghosts, and they range in age from 9 to 12. The sd-scaled dolls are all adults. They range in apparent age from Kita & Tsuki (Elf Chiwoos), who are sixteen, to Seimei (Hound), who's in his 40s.

4. I'm 22 and my youngest character for far is 16. I really don't plan on getting any younger than that. My oldest characters, the ones that still count their age, are 27 and 18, one MSD and one SD. And then there are a few ancients as well still to come.

I don't have any children and don't ever plan to have children. Even the idea of child characters isn't very appealing to me, as far as my stories are concerned. Maybe later in life that idea might change, but I'm still young and anything relating to children is far from my mind.

5. I'm also 30....XP I always wondered about that as well. As for myself....I had a more mature looking doll....and have thought about getting a smaller doll....but with the more mature looking body that was just recently released. So maybe it's a combination of age and taste. I think someone posted earlier about it being an extension of ones self. I have to agree with that. I think we tend to look for things that resemble something of our tastes and personality. :)

6. I am about to be 37 and have a daughter who is far more mature in many ways;) I am really attracted to mature and quite sad dolls somwtimes they could be obviously meant to be young but with a world of 'old soul' knowledge on their faces, this totally reflects the connection to my own life and in dress i dislike dark gothic clothing yet was once a very dark goth myself so yes,age and experience makes me attracted to the aspects of what i would wish to portray to the world which is the balance between the fairytale elven ageless wisdom and the gritty real life stuff.:chocoberry
      Would have certainly gone for the uber Goth in younger years!

7. I have a pretty good age span for my dollies- 4 1/2, 17, 18, 24[Knox is where I run into issues], 22. I'm 17.
      I find that I'm mixed.. I like the child like dolls I think theyre adorable- but I like them to look mature? Really hard to explain xD
      These dolls are gonna stay this way forever until I upgrade my msd's to sd's [Unlikely!] and my puki to either a yo-sd or a MSD.

8. I am 24 and I love Lati Yellows but I think that is because I love babies. I don't know if it has to do more with your particular age or just with your preference. I prefer most of my dolls to be between the ages of 8-14.

*Edited b/c I forgot I was 24 now! LOL

9. I'm 35, and am engaged... want kids very much, just not yet, and am a kid at heart.

I am more attracted to MSD's than SD's... probably because I am a very small person (size-wise) and just feel that they are not as overwhelming as the SD's.

However, that said... my MSD's are very mature. I don't like the immature ones that much at all. The only immature dolls I like at all are the Yo's, and even those are all non-human (elf's, little daemon's, etc). Whether that reflects my age or not, I don't know... could be.

10. Heh, I'm 14. I'm still waiting for my first doll, but he's a Shiwoo. I personally think he looks around 15-17. For me, it's the appearence that really makes me decide a doll's age.

11. I think it depends on what kind of person are you.
      I'm 22 and my interest and thoughts are different than when I'm 18...
      so I think my age will reflect what kind of doll I will buy
      however, some part of you will never change...
      BTW, a different types of face up could change my opinion about a doll

12. I don't really think age reflects on the type of dolls you purchase. Maybe the way you style and dress them just as a person's style changes with age.

Right now... I'm 19, but have been told I look and act much younger than my age. Most my dolls are shifting their ages. I'm not in a relationship, not ready for kids, love them to bits but no desire to have my own yet. My dolls range from 16 - 24 currently but the shift is getting higher as I personally grow older too.

13. I am almost 20 years old (2 weeks before my birthday), and my doll is mature and around 23 years old. But I don't think that my age reflects on the dolls, but my personailty. Never liked child-like dolls and never will.

14. The different ages of my dolls reflect different aspects of my personality- one of my girls is approx. 17- she has her whole life ahead of her & she approaches it with an open heart :) ; my other girl is ageless, she embodies all that is timeless & eternal in human nature (she can be a little bit creepy too :sweat ) So, no, I guess my dolls don't reflect my age now (btw I'm 33).

15. I'm eighteen. I think of my girl as my little girl and like her to look at least, like a little girl. To me she, and her future brother, will look a certain age however their maturity and personality is determined by their actualy age. On the 17th of September Kiyoko will be 1 y.o. She's not a baby, but she is decidedly childlike due to lack of experience with the world.

Her brother on the other hand is more mature, though he will age in a similar way. Really he's just quieter and more observant than Kiyoko.

As to their sculpts, Kiyoko is a Tinyfairy Emile, I really just loved her sculpt. For her brother I did look at gettign another Bluefairy. However I wanted a more mature mold, though in MSD size, so now it's just saving up for a Lati Blue Boy Rei.

16. I'm 24 and my dolls are based off of characters I created between the ages of about 15/16-22. I think what affects my dolls more than my own age is the age in which I created my dolls. They all range between about ages 15-18, no surprise there. However, how I view them and write them has changed a bit.

In my story, my characters age, but the molds I like best, usually the more stylized molds, tend to suit the age my characters start at. This works for me because I tend to view them more as static figures. I never really think I want to "upgrade" to more mature looking molds since I'm quite content with how my gang works together right now.

17. Hm. I'm 24, my two dolls are children but I absolutely do not want kids of my own- at least not yet (I know my hormones will shift gears around the 30 mark so I won't discount ever wanting kids, but it's certainly not a priority now). I like more mature dolls as well, but I love "cute" stuff a lot, and so I find myself more attracted to cute dolls. I might get a more mature SD sized doll at some point but no plans so far. Though, if I do I can already name a few of the contenders. XD

18. I don't think my age is reflected in my dolls at all. I tend to like almost any size, gender or aesthetic. Though I do prefer the cartoony/stylized dolls like the old Volks and I dress them according to their projected age, not mine.

19. I'm 16 and most of my future dolls are going to be in their late teens/early twenties. I think the tinies are cute, but I much prefer larger dolls. I'd rather see my dolls more as equals or ones I have to look after because they just ended up in my room. All their personalities are varieties you would find in high school kids, more or less. My first doll will almost definitely be a Lati M, and he'll be the calm, collected, mature, thoughtful type (though I must admit it's a bit difficult to find guys like that in H.S.). My second will probably be a H. Ducan, and I want him to be a bit moody, sometimes needy, and with a mischeivous streak. Third will probably be a CP El, and he'll be the perv in the group (haha, that's really easy to find in a high school... soooo many pervs.....). The fourth will be a SD13-sized girl (I would love the SDF Camilla, but she's a limited, sooo...) and her personality is so far undecided, but she'll probably be pretty mild.

I guess my age does have a pretty big influence on what dolls I'm most attracted to.

20. Interesting question! I do think I prefer older dolls. I prefer the SD13 Elena over all the other Volks dolls because her head sculpt seems more mature than the rest, and I can easily place her characters age at something older, like 16. I notice with the D.O.T characters they look no more than 13 or 14 to me and I'm not particularly drawn to them (I think it's the cheeks XD). Tensiya, Iplehouse and Volks have some nice mature headsculpts.

I find my characters range in age from late teens up to mid thirties (and one who's ageless). Being 22 myself, I guess I just prefer to surround myself with dolls in an age-bracket I can relate to more.