1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your age reflect on the dolls you purchase?

Oct 22, 2005

1. Well, the characters I create have ALWAYS been around the same age, even as I grew older. When I was 14, my characters generally ran between 12 to 20. Now that I'm 20, they...still run between 12 to 20.

Character/Dolls younger than 12 just aren't very interesting to me, and while I DO have a few characters over 20 (like Hunter and Gabriel, who are approaching their 30's) I don't think I'd be making them into dolls.

I don't think that I'll be writing characters or making dolls too far out of that age range, even when I'm older. There's just so many dynamics during that age that make them fun to work with.

2. Hahaa, I think that's why adult authors still write young adult/teen books. It really is a very interesting period in a person's life!

3. I'm now 23, and I'm not sure my age has anything to do with the dolls i like... Well maybe a little bit. My characters are all from about 19-25, and their stories are quite mature. If i wanted to have dolls of those characters I would need to find sculpts that were more mature looking, especially for the guys. But on the other hand I absolutely adore a lot of the child dolls.

But while I think my characters have sort of aged with me over the past few years, (they used to be more in the 15-19 age range), I think they're done growing now.

4. No not at all, i just go for the sculpt that appeals most and it does'nt matter if it is a tiny/MSD/SD, boy/girl, child or adult doll. I have too many dolls, that's the only thing that being older effects really - i have disposable income.....woo hoo toot toot bejeezers ha!
      :)

5. Not really, I'm 20 and I have an AOD Rao.

[​IMG]

Wrath is actually 16, and the dress isn't the normal type of thing she wears I just wanted to get her something before she came home. :sweat She's my little tomboy, Pride (my friend's and her 'wife') he's a little girly boy. He's the one who prefers the dresses. :sweat He's an AOD An.

I guess it just really depends, I'm more attracted to the teens/somewhat more mature sculpts. While I like the childlike ones, I'm just not drawn to them as much.

6. I'm an older female, and when I first got into BJDs, I eagerly tried some of each size. But along the way, I found myself interacting far more with my SDs. To me, they were more representative of mature human emotions and experiences. The MSDs seemed more like 12-13 year olds, and had a certain depth to them that I enjoyed though not as much as my SDs. The tinies were fun to dress, wig, and collect stuff for, but once they were completed, I just looked at them and thought, "Well, now what?" I guess they were just too immature for me. I eventually re-homed the MSDs and tinies and now only have SDs. They range from humans in their late-teens to ageless elves and ghosts. But I believe what I was really looking for was a certain level of emotional maturity, not age maturity. Because of my own years of living experience, I think I needed dolls that were old enough to understand me!:)

7. Yes I think so, when I was younger I always had characters that were older than me.

Now it's the opposite, all my dolls are younger than me because I kind of like the kind of naivete and innocence I had back then, so that's also the age that I usually place my dolls in. (Ahh sweet youth! Not that I'm really old at all, but life used to be so much simpler back then). Besides most dolls that I like looks so young that I couldn't possibly imagine them being older than me.

8. ask me again in ten years, and I'll give you a real answer, having a little more data... :roll:
      I certainly feel that my age (or perhaps more accurately my maturity/the moment in life I find myself in) affects the dolls I [want to] own. Vasilisa, although by no means a Mary Sue, is quite obviously a sort of avatar of myself: a woman in her mid-twenties, embarking on her professional life, yet still very involved in a youthfully hedonistic lifestyle (okay, so that's an aspect of life that I've long been more interested in RPing than living...but I'm still interested in it). she is also dealing with crises I am working through: intimacy versus self-sufficiency is a major force in her life right now as I prepare to bring home her accidentally adopted daughter (dollstown pre-order, w00t!).

Rada, said "daughter," also reflects where I'm at: I desperately want kids (to whoever thought she would automatically want kids after 30...why pin an age on it? I'm only 25...many people never want kids) but I also feel inadequate to the task of mothering (especially financially!). I feel like it's a sort of fantasy, just having a child step into your life without you having to ask it to, yet having the unwanted relationship be a really positive one rather than a burden. and because they're dolls, Vasya isn't really worried about whether or not she can afford another mouth to feed, or how to discipline her basically angelic daughter.

however, I've always been a little adventurous with age. the main thing that's stopping me from having much older dolls is that I find most sculpts look extremely young. I find that even 25 is a bit of a stretch with soony's fresh-faced & wide-eyed look, and the problem is vastly compounded when I look at male dolls, because most of them look about fifteen. I can't imagine having a woman in her fifties, or even a man in his thirties (well, there are a few sculpts) despite the fact that I've enjoyed RPing similar characters.

9. I'm teetering to the 30s and have no children, don't plan to ever have them. But do have a family of ferrets that are my kids. I have been interested in them for several years and like many people mine are based on rp chars. I admit that I am excited to see some of the older more mature looking dolls because as I get older the less the teen waif pretty boy chars appeal to me. but maybe thats just because (hangs head in shame) I have been rping for well over half my life.

10. Oro? What the ???

My dolls are all over twenty and so am I!!! LOL!

PS - opps! Correction . . . I do have a few under twenty!! ;P

11. I'm one of the younger crowd(I'm 15 now) and most of my dolls are/will be young adults or late teens. One of my current dolls and at least one of future dolls are 'tweens' or early teens. ^_^ I have been in this hobby for 3 years and I've noticed that all of my planned dolls have been getting older and older. I think it's because I now have a storyline, while before I just wanted those dolls.

12. Oh, it's not that I hate kids or anything like that... but right now my priority in life is enjoying my youth while I have it, being able to travel and spend time with my husband and not have to give up my own life to take care of children. When you have kids... that's it, they become the focus of your life, you don't get to be the fun young couple anymore, you know? XD Not that having a family isn't every bit as rewarding, but I don't want to feel like I had to give up something I wasn't ready to give up yet.

The fact that I have child BJDs... I don't know if it signifies that I'm starting to be more interested in children or not. I certainly don't have the same optinion I used to- when I was a teenager I was more the "eww, babies poop and smell bad" kind of person. Now I see a cute baby and think "Oh how sweet he/she is" etc. So who knows... maybe I have my BC tiny because she's a cute little baby and I'm starting to get a bit clucky. XD

But still, there's no way I want a real baby yet! : o

13. Hmm Well I'm sixteen [seventeen in July]
      I guess it depends on the dolls, but I'm really not into Tiny's or dolls with big eyes and small mouths, etc.
      I like some mature models, and some models just appeal to me. :]
      I really love the Dollshe boy sculpts, and sculpts like Breakaway, El, etc.

But then again, most of my Original Characters [that are planned] are usually seventeen to nineteen, and if I'm doing any roleplays at that time, they usually extend to late twenties.

14. I'm 14,gonna be 15 in July.
      Kaiden dresses similar to my old styles. Sparrow would probably be more like me (punk'd/gothy).My dolls/ghosts waiting for a resin body are reflections of different parts of my through out my life.

I don't see my dolls/ghosts as children,they're more like my muses or parts of me from the past.

Either way,I love my Dolls/ghosts.

~Spooks~

15. yeah, I fully feel you on that! I love being able to sleep in late if I want to, and all the other freedoms that go along with being a young D.I.N.K. family. I just always think it's weird/interesting to hear people suggesting stuff like "I know my hormones will shift gears around the 30 mark" or "when I'm 25 I'll have a good job" or "when a person turns 19 they're an adult, not a teenager" at various stages in their lives. didn't want to make you feel awkward. ;)

about tinies: I don't have any (have been forcibly restraining myself from buying a pukipuki), but when I see ones that I want, it's usually with an eye to making them five or six, not actual babies. even though I'd prefer to have a flesh & blood baby rather than, say, adopting/fostering a school-aged kid. so I think that while each person might be able to think about their experience and say "buying tinies means this for me," there's no way you can say anything across the board. I guess I see the same thing throughout this thread: most people seem to feel that there's something to say about their age/their dolls' ages, but it's so different from one person to the next!

16. well mine range from 6 to immortals XP ^although the one who looks 6 was made immortal. I dont really like alot of older dolls with like a mustache or beard or etc.

17. I am almost 17, and I very much prefer the timeless look of dolls, which is hard to find in the more mature molds. I have chosen the petit prince to be my first bjd because I don't think of him having a specific age because the prince is supposed to be an ageless child instead of anything specific.

18. I think the only place where age has an effect is on the type of doll--us older people with steady jobs are somewhat more likely to be able to afford Volks/CP/Dollshes than someone just out of college. Besides that, I can't see much of a statistical trend. There are dollfans older than me (I just turned 40 last month, HBTM!) with crossdressing yaoi boys and teens/20 yr. olds with childlike tinies.

Reading this thread did make me realize to my surprise that none of my dolls are really human (Kiyoshi was human, apparently, but now he's a "ghost in a shell" ;)) Minnaloushe is Fae of some kind, Zenshin is a Tengu, and Hinoko is a Kitsune. I gather Kiyoshi lived about 100-150 years ago and died in his late teens, but the others are a few centuries old. These backstories could be due to my current interest in anime, or they could hark back to my SF/F fan roots, who knows?

I also find myself resisting the notion of them being my "kids", just as I resist the idea of my cats being "child substitutes", because I've never been even slightly interested in reproducing. My dolls and pets are companions, even family, but they are not my children!

19. Interesting question. I like the point an early poster made about hating children. I also strongly dislike children and at 41 neither have nor want them.

But I have child tinies and find myself looking at others. Some twisted maternal tendancies? I don't know, but I think it's that universal thing of the look of a child doll appealing to me.

But it's never influenced my buying decision - I won't buy or not buy a child doll simply because it's a child. My desicions are determined by the basest of all deciding factors - aestetics. Do I think it's pretty?

I can't even review my past purchaes, those made in my 20's or 30's as comparision. The dolls of my teens and 20's are SO radically different from not only their current incarnations but light years away from what I currently buy.

There's a maturity in the quality of what I buy, that much I know. Maybe there are more children dolls in my collection than there were twenty years ago, but I think that's because of the dolls I'm buying and not the age I'm buying them at.

20. Well, I'm older, so with experience, I was trying to think about whether my dolls would be different if I bought them when I was a teen or 20-something, rather than... older!

Some things would definitely be different. Although I still like what I have always liked on a basic level, the focus of my interests change over time in intensity and expression. For instance, I always have been interested in fantasy themes and elves--since I was 11 or even before! I have a ton of elf BJDs now. When I was much younger I was more interested in role-playing and specific characters. Now that I've been there, done that, my dolls have characters I've created but they aren't the driving point of their existence and I'm not so interested in re-creating characters from books or anime, etc. I'm also not as big into anime as I was--so that's different, too. I'm not as into music and bands as I was... Or certain actors and celebs. And over-all, things have mellowed, even though I'm still a pretty hard-core BJD fan!

Styles... probably affected a bit by change of interests. I had to laugh a bit about someone mentioning being able to tell older Goth styles from the newer. I think that's true in my case--I'm older and like the older Goth stuff--although the new stuff creeps in since we all have to shop from the same sources and the newer styles are just available! As for stylized vs. realistic dolls... That maybe be more a personal thing--but partly due to when one came into the hobby--lots came in early when things were more anime-styled and were into anime, so that affected them, rather than age. I like anime fine, but also realistic. My own choices are in-between--partially due to the dolls available at the time, but also because of personal choice. I like the j-rock stuff, but I'm not that into the whole thing, so that affects my own dolls' styles. If I was younger, I might be much more into newer (to me!) trends like goth-lolly, lolly, egl, j-rock, fruits, and current fashions, even... Not that I'm stuck in the '80s or anything, but it does affect HOW into stuff I am, and what styles I buy to some extent.

Age of the dolls--I think that also his partially due to the owners age, but partially not. Mine are elves and all ancient (and would have been if I was much younger, too). My view of what ages are interesting to me have shifted to a bit older as I age, but not that much. My human dolls would probably be older if I could get away with it--but they look young (early 20s at the most--but really teen-aged), so I think of them as 20-somethings since I'm not so into wanting teen-aged dolls at this time. Nothing against 'em, though! And I can (rather sadly) still relate, so that's no problem.

Sizes-- I doubt this is age-related! Lots of older folk have tinies and babies! I have a few tinies, but prefer the older-looking sculpts--but that's just personal (I'd have been the same in my teen/20s). They are all elves--so age doesn't matter, either.

Anyway, interesting topic! :)