1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your doll fill the void?

Mar 31, 2010

1. i think they do, they really do

2. My dolls are kind of like photographs of friends - I look at them and think of good times. So in a way they are comfort but they do not fill any voids - my girlfriend does that. ;)

3. I don't have a "void" in my life I think..just a part of my life that I haven't quite grasped yet and my dolls help me feel as if I am closer to achieving a more complete and wonderful life to my own tastes.

My girls make me feel warm and fuzzy definitely though and sometimes I just look at them and am filled with joy at their beauty/personalities shining through! I'm afraid to cuddle with them but I do enjoy holding them while I watch tv/movies. I think having the dolls is just a part of you that you are trying to express and each doll is a different part..maybe a doll you are dissatisfied with shows that you don't like a particular aspect in your life that the doll represents and finding a different sculpt will immediately change that sought after aspect in one's life...

I'M JUST SAYIN though. OuO

4. I don't know if I really have a void. I'm a rather introverted person, it is not like I have social anxiety or anything, I just don't like to be around many people. I like solitude, I always have, since I was a small child.I think it is due to me being a Capricorn. However, I do like to have companionship, it is kind of an oxymoron I know. So the dolls are just perfect little companions for me. I can come home from being around people and go play with my dolls. It is a good way for me to have "me time", after all the dolls are extensions of myself. And when I want human company, I have a best friend and a boyfriend that I can spend time with.

5. Dolls have never filled that sort of void for me but I like sleeping alone & being alone. Now if at least one of my cats aren't in bed with me, it feels strange.

6. No. I thought they did, once. It took me 20+ of them to realize it, too. I fell into this hideous spiral in late 2007 where I bought one after another (quite literally) and then I started to buy clothes, shoes, wigs, etc. like crazy - it got to the point where I had doll items in the mail almost every day. It wasn't even like I particularly needed or even wanted any of it, I just always had to know something was in the mail, or I couldn't rest. In my deep depression the only thing I found that I could look forward to was dolls/doll stuff arriving in the mail.

It took a wiped out bank account and a concerned mother to make me stop and realize what I was doing - and interestingly enough, it really hit me when I listened to those Michael Jackson tape recordings one night on Dateline: he told his friend he had mannequins all over his room because he was so shy and therefore lonely, and having those around was his way of having people present.

So as I took a look around my room (which is literally doll-ridden, they own my dresser, nightstand, vanity, jewelry box and lingerie chest) I noticed I was guilty of the very same thing - these dolls were the people and friends I was too shy to talk to. Too depressed to get out of the house and meet. I had surrounded myself with an array of fake friends but in reality had only further isolated myself.

So I stopped buying dolls. I traded a few, because no one was buying them, but I have not added further to my collection. I've drastically cut down on ordering other stuff, too - haven't bought anything in months, actually.

So no, they do not fill that particular void for me. But I still love my collection, they all represent characters of mine that are special to me, and now I use them for inspiration for writing, and for photography and jewelry making.

If you suspect you may be using your dolls as a way to fill a social void in your own life, take my advice and step back and think about it. Before you incur overdraft fees, lol!

7. I suppose they could.
      But they also can kinda make one of their own.
      I'm without at the moment , and so my void is for the doll itself.
      Because you set your heart on one , but then you have the long waiting period of saving up , and shipping.

8. No .. actually more of the opposite is the case. I noticed that whenever I'm really really upset, I lock my dolls away and don't play with them until I feel better. They're something I solely connect with myself being happy and creative and whenever I actually feel something is missing or I need somebody to be there for me, I prefer another human or my pets. Even if I wanted to, my dolls could never fill any 'void' for me.

They do, however, inspire me beyond belief and always cause some random moments of pure happiness when I look at them or make something for them.

9. I dont think they fill a void for me. There just a hobby that Im interested in. End of story.

10. Material possessions of any kind will never fill the void. They will only ever be temporary distractions. I don't know what does fill the void... I don't think a person can either. I think the void is best filled by a life of meaningful work, whatever that means to the individual.

11. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In my case, sometimes not even people can help me fill that 'void' because when I'm really mad or sad I don't want to see anyone. This is my opinion and experience only: the only thing that can fill my void is my love and faith to God. "True happiness is not found in any other reward than that of being united with God".[/FONT]

12. When I first started collecting dolls, I was rather shy and didn't enjoy interacting with people as much as I do now. I clung to my first doll and bonded quite well with him. Then I got into anime cons and cosplay, started opening up and making friends and since then, I've become less clingy to my dolls. It's nice to have them around, but they can't provide the same sort of comfort and amusement that friends do. They're more of a creative outlet these days.

13. Hmmm...Interesting topic. I get very offended when people suggest that i have my dolls to fill the void. Thats i have them because i dont have kids...etc.. I get really hissy because i feel like they accusing me of being somewhat disfunctional and not being able to have *normal* things in life.
      I love my dolls for a diffirent reason, its a diffirent kind of void, They fill the need for beautiful things i can collect and interact with, they are more like imaginary friends, and my friends know that. They make me better when i'm upset and i know they will be there for me when i need them but i still need human interaction.

14. As an empath A doll does not quite fill the vooid. I need someone who is not only psychically strong I also need someone who's emotions mine wont clash with. There is nothing that can compare to the feeling of emotions coursing through eachothers skin as you hold eachother in the peaceful night.

15. my dolls do fill a void for me. i used to stay up all the time thinking about how alone i felt but over the last 21 years of my life i have never had a 'love one' and to be honest i don't know that i ever will. so my dolls are my constant companions now. i just don't feel like going out and searching for people anymore, and i don't like having to convince people to like me. its to exhausting to care that much. so anyways now my dolls are there. they don't fill the void as good as a person would but people haven't worked out for me so yea, here i am.

16. My void has nothing to do with the fact that I don't have a boyfriend. Having someone there to hold me isn't important atm, and I actually am enjoying being alone for once. My void has to do with my frustrations with work and career, and the total lack of creativeness and fun at work. My dolls fill that void for me outside of work. I have become more creative since I started collecting them, I have a lot more fun with my camera, and they give me the inspiration that I crave for my storyline and animation projects.

17. I agree with a everyone else that said, they serve as more of a distraction. My dolls don't really fill a void for me, no person and/or object will ever fill the void left after losing my Son. But, they do bring me joy in the form of creative distraction. I like meeting new friends, and I'm trying to break out of my depressive shell, my dolls are helping me do that. I don't sleep with them, but they sit next to my bed on my nightstand. They keep me company too, I like using my imagination and messing around with them when I feel down or alone. So yeah, they're pretty much a distraction.

18. Sadly enough, I do have a void that is filled by dolls. It's not a "I need to buy more and more dolls to feel sane" or so, but when i'm upset, I tend to not tell anyone (weaknesssssssss) and so the problem, is that the dolls are the only thing there. I know they're not human (duh) or alive, or can't react. But the give me this huge sense of comfort (yes I have issues apparently)

19. i didn't fill that i had a void...until i went to a trip and leave my dolls alone in my room.
      since then, every time i stay with them, i feel happy and it seems like my void has been filled.

but it's not the whole truth.
      the more doll i own, the more stronger the wish of owning another doll to build a larger family for the recent doll
      is.
      so strange, isn't it?

20. Thk u Larien~~~ ur advise brings me out of the craziness and set me an alarming clock. thk u .