1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your doll fill the void?

Mar 31, 2010

1. I think that, if one has a void, it is very difficult to fill that with material possessions.

I didn't get a doll to compensate for something else--I bought mine because I wanted to have a doll. In my experience, trying to substitute unrelated things (toys for pets, dolls for friends, etc.) rarely results in satisfaction.

2. My dolls fill the void that my horses left behind when I had to choose between them or my dolls. Thankfully the dolls are a one time expense, and unless I buy them a wardrobe, I wouldn't have to waste another cent on them if I pleased. I can also express my creativity by making their clothes, accessories and customizing them. I miss and love my horses dearly, but I am blessed to have my dolls now.

As for the human comfort, I could leave it. I am a self-proclaimed, proud A-Hole! xD My family and girlfriend of 5 years are the only people I care about. I honestly have no friends, but I have few acquaintances. These are people I respect, but I just can't bring myself to care about their problems. Probably because they don't care about mine either, and that makes me even happier. My dolls are kind of like acquaintances, just I can tell them how to look and pose. ^^

3. Yes and no

Yes, for i prefer having a silent friend around,
      No, for there not truly alive.

4. That would be pretty much a no. When I'm in the need for human companianship, it's because I'm in the need for those attributes that are specifically human-warmth, interaction, emotion, etc. A doll possesses none of these. Therefore it is impossible for the doll to be any type of substitute. It's really as simple as that. On the occassion I do opt for my dolls instead of a person it's because the doll offers what I feel I need at that time-a distraction, something to focus on, an object to direct my attention to when I want to sort out my thoughts alone. A person and a doll offer different comforts unique unto themselves, I hardly think I could substitute one for the other.

5. No, they do not. A doll cannot hug me, he/she can not wrap their arms around me, they can't comfort me with words... they aren't human. A 60cm doll is not big enough to be comforted by it's presence. I don't even use them to tell my problems to that I don't want to tell others, I'd rather write it down. It might also be that I need to bond with them better, but they will never fill the void.

6. My dolls don't fill a void in my life.......but people don't either....I don't know what will,I haven't discovered it yet.

7. A creative void, yes, my dolls help to fulfill the need to be creative even if it is just dressing them or taking pictures. When I am not doing something creative, there is a void. These dolls help to fill that through their beauty and my personal expression through them. However, they do not fill an emotional void. That is for me to fill through making my life and those of the people I love better. They are very different things and I do not think objects should be used to fill any void in a persons life. Even for me, the creative void is something I am filling through a creative outlet (dolls), but the object themselves are not filling the void, it is my actions through them that are. I hope that makes sense ^_^

8. It doesn't seem very healthy if you think yours fills the social "void", and personally a bit odd if objects are replacing people in your life! I don't think they should ever fill the void or anything near filling that space. Much like an ipod, computer, books, teddy bear or TV they should be used for entertainement purposes. I think you should talk to somebody in real life if inatimate objects fill your void. You may argue, but it seems very depressing...u.u;
      objects should never replace people,

9. Yes, they do fill the void. I spent most of my time alone in my room drawing--not anymore!:D

10. My dolls are merely characters put into resin form; they're also great art subjects. When I'm sad or alone it helps pass the time playing with them but as far as "filling the void" goes I have a wonderful boyfriend, close friends, and a loving family who are there to pick me up when I'm really down. :)

11. I don't sleep with any of my dolls, but interestingly enough being around them does fufill a kind of social need.

12. I'm married, so usually doll in the bed means I'm crowded and annoyed. lol But when we're apart for the night (due to business, visiting friends, work schedules, etc), I DO take a doll to bed with me. It's not the same as having my husband there, but I sleep much better with my arm around a doll and my dog curled up against me. :) I also usually sit in my doll room and hold one of them when I'm really upset. They can't judge me or say I'm overreacting or fight back, so it's calming and gives me time to think and process the situation without being further provoked or distracted. The doll doesn't replace people, but it is comforting. Just in a different way.

13. My dolls always sit right next to me when I'm in my bed watching TV or being at the laptop like right now. It's nice there are lots of cute faces staring at me all the time, like this I feel not so lonely when my boyfriend is not around.

14. my dolls fill material emptiness of my room
      because if they cleaned the room will be almost empty))

15. Oh yes... sometimes I feel this way. Like I'm only getting dolls because I lack a relationship I feel I want or need. But they mostly fill a hole of profound sadness. I see their beautiful structure and grace and my mind becomes calm. Its an irreplaceable joy.

16. No, my dolls do not fill a "void," as there was never any "void" there to begin with. I don't want anyone hugging or touching me much less sleeping beside me (making everything cramped, uncomfortable and hot) and I ABSOLUTELY do not desire a significant other in the least. I have a little social interaction with my few good friends a month and I'm set. (And I mean it, too--even just a few hours is hugely exhausting for me.) I spend the rest of my time doing daily life nonsense, studying, working on various projects and messing around with gaming, my dolls and such--alone, which I prefer. I haven't even come to them with my troubles or really cuddled them for comfort. They're just fun little doofuses to play with and make up stories about, not crutches.

17. My dolls fill no void really, I'm pretty happy with my family and friends and everything~ uvu
      But on the subject of sleeping with dolls... well I don't do that but I do feel nice that I have my SSDF seated on my bedside. It feels sort of secure, as if he's "watching over me" so to speak. uvu It just makes me feel calm.

18. A doll is just a doll. It can't replace a human being and I don't want that (or need that).

I don't sleep with my dolls.

I don't go to them when I'm lonely or because I need comfort.

I just have dolls because I enjoy having dolls.

If I wanted something to distract me and to love and sleep with, I'd get a cat or a dog! Or, hey, how about a boyfriend? Not as easy, but it's a thought!

Dolls are good for being dolls, not trying to fill some sort of void!

19. I hate to admit it, but they do. I spend a ton more time and effort on them when I am alone... which is most of the time haha! I tend to go through friends pretty fast and I haven't had a boyfriend in a while due to the fact that I'm not currently in school and I've been working at a preschool! Haha! No peers there!

20. My dolls by no means fill an emotional void, but they do fill a creativity void. Since I graduated from college, I don't draw as much anymore, or take art classes through the University. I use my dolls for photography, creative writing, sewing, and a little drawing on the side. I hope to get back into face-ups soon too. Dolls are more like a distraction from the real world.