1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your doll have illnesses, scars or similar?

Jun 9, 2020

?
  1. Yes, visible one(s), same as me

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Yes, invisible one(s), same as me

22 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Yes, visible one(s), I don't have it

38 vote(s)
    57.6%
  4. Yes, invisible one(s), I don't have it

13 vote(s)
    19.7%
  5. No

13 vote(s)
    19.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. My SD boy has a scar down his eye as well as scars on his knuckles stemming from his story. I don’t have those personally, but I think they’re beautiful for his aesthetic and help me write his story further because they’re now part of him.

2. My favorite doll’s character suffers from mental illness(just as I do) but there’s no mark or anything to portray that, it’s just part of her story.

What I can portray is she’s supposed to have brittle bones and can’t bear weight for long periods. I choose shoes without a heel for this reason and stands so her feet aren’t fully touching the ground. I’m trying to give the illusion of levitation magic but of course I’m limited. I also cannot stand for long either(nerve damage from injury) but I don’t get cool levitation magic :sweat someday I want a doll wheelchair for her.

Most doll characters of mine are completely unlike me but my favorite has a nod to my real life, just in a more fantasy based way.

My incoming doll will have a scar on the side of his mouth and dirt under his nails because he’s always picking fights and his big mouth gets him into trouble a lot! No illness though.

3. It's too bad we can't multivote. My characters aren't perfect so they tend to fall all around there.

For example: Ken (Taemin) is a double bellow-knee amputee which is plain for everyone to see because he has fancy prosthesis mods on both legs. Wisp on the other hand suffers from systematic abuse and self-neglect so he's covered in scars top to bottom, including whip lascerations, burn marks and a gruesome many times over healed wound on his hand. Gin has been struck by lightning and has a keraunographic mark on the side of his face as well as a blind eye as a result. Yukihiko's hair has turned white following a traumatic incident and suffers from ptsd as well. One of dolls I have yet to shell, Shirou, suffers from accute dermal sensitivity which makes it incredibly difficult to interface with the world (and even himself, as even his hair falling to his face can cause him sudden pangs of pain as all tactile sensation is amplified).

In a more lighthearted itteration, Viktor is a clutzy person so he tends to wear lots of bandaids all over. He's also an albino, which means on top of the usual "visual" traits (fair skin, white hair and lashes, colourless eyes) he suffers from mild photophobia and nystagmus.

Keiichi suffers from ocd, which is something I suffer from as well. A lot of my characters have poor eyesight which I also do. Fuyuki has anxiety and panic attacks, same as me. Yoshiaki has low self-esteem and Yasuo has anger management issues. Nemu is narcoleptic (she actually got her name because of it, which is pretty mean but it happens).

Also not exactly a disease but Celeste has sectoral heterochromia (two colours in each eye, which i also happen to have) and Arslan and Miharu both have full heterochromia (two different colored eyes).

4. Not sure where to put my vote since a couple are accurate for my crew...

Pete is albinistic, which is visible, but not a trait I share.
      Billy and Marigold are autistic- invisible, but which I share.

And I'm waiting on Jack, who is my D&D character, and at this point, he hasn't picked up any lasting scars, but if he ever does I'll have to add them to his resin self. We had to pause our game right before the culmination of his big adventure when we could no longer meet in person. If he picks up scars they will doubtless be very different from the small and boring ones I have.

I've given non-doll characters scars like the ones I have on my back/shoulders, but I'm not likely to do it as part of a mod/body blush on a future doll. Technically, if my floating head had a body, his character would have those scars-- though in his case from a misadventure rather than just his body being overeager to develop scar tissue. But instead his scar/medical condition is the entire lack of a body.

5. Oh, actually you should've been able to answer with multiple answers! I'm sorry about that. I changed the poll so now you can. Note that "No" means "None of the above". So if you answer "yes" on any of the options, please don't select "no" as well :)

6. It's a no from me so far. I do plan to have a doll with possible scarification painted on, but that's as far as it goes. I don't have characters for my dolls, so any visible scars would just purely be for aesthetic reasons.

7. One of my dolls is wearing an insulin pump, as I am.

8. TRIGGER WARNING:
      I will likely have forearm cuts on my (first, not yet received) doll. She's supposed to represent a concept - people who've survived the worst, done some things they regret along the way, but in the end got through it and are way tougher on the inside than the world gives them credit for. The concept will be reflected in her outfit as well - I'm still figuring that out too, but it will be kind of the same idea - toughness/vulnerability mixed together.

9. I have 2 characters that lost limbs (arms). Fei-Lau, God of Winter Storms, lost his entire left arm to a Yeti that he'd thought was dead as he tended to Sleet (who later became his Herald) who was gravely injured. Fei-Lau wears a mecha-arm created by Bao-Tein, Goddess of the Forge & Metalworking. I suppose Sleet's wings and feet could be scars in a way as they didn't heal right but he loves the way he looks now as he feels it reflects what he's like on the inside.

Mkhai, God of Warfare & Weaponry, lost his arm right from the elbow down after he was born. His twin, Rai-Sui, God of Death & Decay, didn't want to be separated when they were being born and grabbed Mkhai's hand, using his power as a god to try to keep his twin with him. Rai-Sui caused Mkhai's arm to begin to rot and it needed to be amputated to save his life. Mkhai holds no ill will against Rai-Sui, but Rai-Sui was very upset to learn he was the cause of his twin's missing arm. As penance, Rai-Sui caused the left side of his face to rot off exposing the bone. Mkhai also has a mecha arm created by Bao-Tein.

Rhyia is a BattleMonk of Kai-Wen (God of Healing & Disease). He was captured and tortured before escaping. He has scars on both arms and from armpit to ankles from when the Ogre started to skin him alive. He also has PTSD because of this. His physical scars in-story are the result of very janky "seam sanding" done by someone before I bought him. Kulfi also has PTSD from when his village almost stoned him to death.

Tohan has scarification in the shape of wings on his back as his people heal at an insane rate and typical tattoos won't stay on their skin. Warrick was bred by his government to not have legs and is usually in a cyborg chassis. Yalaren has a scar around his finger as the finger broke off and his previous owner glued it back on and intentionally made it look like a scar.

10. This is a very interesting thread! I haven't thought about giving my dolls physical illnesses / scars yet, but I have some ideas for mental illnesses. Flora is an excessive daydreamer, part of the reason why she does it is to cope with her post- traumatic stress disorder from losing her sister when she was little. I have PTSD too and some of the things she has gone through have been inspired by my own personal experiences.

Damen has anxiety and depression and possibly some PTSD from watching his father struggle with addiction and later passing away when he was a teenager.

My newest doll, Tommy (Damen's little brother) has a learning disability. He is a toddler with a little bit of delayed development skills. I'm not sure if he will have a mental illness yet. Some kids just have a little trouble with learning.

I'm still working on all of their backstories! Hopefully I can complete everyone by the end of the year!

#30 TwilightBabyDoll, Jun 23, 2020
      Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    11. Gobbie has scars on her hands because I effed up the dyeing. But she is a tough old lady, so it fits.

Elliot has anxiety like me, so I can dump my anxiety into his behavior. Sorry Elliot!

12. Such real and complex characters, I love it! That's the sweet part of the bittersweet when it comes to tough experiences...it makes us deeper and more aware of so many things, and hopefully more understanding of others who've been through a lot too. :)

13. I think it makes a character more real if you give them a weakness, one of my girls is gluten intolerant :)

14. My doll Rin and I share schizophrenia! It helps me cope by knowing that there's someone (albeit a fictional character) that I can relate to in a way.

15. I've been toying with getting the Charm Doll Circe recently, and putting a scar over her closed eye. There's so much personality in her look as it is, and she just seems so sure of herself, I feel like it would be a great addition!

16. When I buy the pieces for my doll to shell as my OC Elky, I'm hoping to make two sets of custom pieces that will magnetize to his back. One, a pair of lightweight wings, strung and probably 3D printed, and the other, little bumps that have the wing scars where they were surgically removed in his backstory at one point. I do have one character that has limited mobility and is in a wheelchair, and many of my characters have some level of the same mental illnesses or internal illness that I do. I also hope to 3D print forearm crutches for another character in the future. I always appreciate people putting realistic details on their dolls such as scars, tattoos, piercings, freckles, all kinds of little details that make them feel that much more alive and also feels great to represent different life experiences that way :)

17. One of the dolls I'm waiting for, Impldoll Avery, has a scar sculpted across his face, cheek to cheek and going over the bridge of his nose. I'm not entirely sure what mine's backstory with that will be, but I know he's an adventurous rapscallion so he likely got it executing one of his worse ideas. And since he's a fae-ish space being, I'm going to see about doing that scar in glittery black, like there's a starfield under his skin. (Which is snagged from a cosplay idea I had for a character who miscalculated while using his powers and, well, his parts are now scattered across the solar system, and even once you put him together there's some chunks of flesh missing if you know what to look for. Oops.)

Realistic, in terms of appearance? Nah. But hopefully fits the sci-fantasy vibe.

It is definitely a bigger and more noticeable scar than any I have - the biggest of which have either long faded or aren't anywhere visible. I don't have plans for either of my dolls to have a visible or invisible illness at the moment, but plans can always change, especially as I sort out their characters more.

18. Most of my girls suffer from mental health issues, something that's very important to me, and immensely relatable as someone that's suffered from severe depression, anxiety, OCD, and addictive behavior for pretty much her entire life.

Faye is debatably the most damaged underneath all her glam and charm; a mixture of an abusive childhood at the hands of her controlling, manipulative parents and the loss of a loved one to terminal illness left her with deeply rooted depression and PTSD. She is an intelligent, obsessive-compulsive individual addicted to killing young models, but incapable of stopping herself despite the intense remorse and self-hatred her actions cause her, and crying out for help.

Foxglove—my only fantasy-inspired doll—is an ancient witch forever changed after her beloved was executed for practicing witchcraft. She rarely leaves her woodland home out of misanthropic agoraphobia, which, in a cruel twist of irony, throws her further into a depressive pit of overwhelming loneliness.

As for physical injuries... Carina has a scar across her neck after a traffic accident severely damaged her vocal cords, and left her aphonic, further crippling her esteem issues as a poverty stricken street performer and aspiring actress pining over her heroine.

Taylor plays many different roles for me, most of which are severely depressed, hopeless, battered, and tired of existence. Her body blushing consists of many different injuries—cuts, bruises, scrapes, tears, ligatures, etc.—as a means to process a lot of my internal pain in a very real and genuine way. Of all my dolls, she is the most personal and dear to me for this very reason, albeit among others.

19. I have one doll that I need to mod yet who loses a leg right at the start of his character's story (below the knee, and I will be making him a prosthetic too!) There is another doll who is based on a character who gets into a fight with a demon and gets a nasty burn scar on his face and loses his sight in his left eye. A third has tattered wings from abuse as well as scars that I need to add when I blush his body (he doesn't dress very modestly so they'd show). There are others that SHOULD have scars but since they all wear clothes, I'm not too worried about healed gut wounds and whatnot.

As for disabilities, I have one who is blind from childhood glaucoma, and another who is legally blind (he has to wear very thick glasses just to see things up close). Two others need glasses but they aren't that bad off and are not considered blind. One of my doll's characters suffers from depression, and another suffers from PTSD and depression. Another is a recovering alcoholic.

The only one of these things that I actually share with my dolls is wearing glasses.