1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your doll "smoke"? Why?

Jan 18, 2006

1. The boys all have unique personalities just like the rest of us. Some of my rl friends smoke and some don't. I don't get to choose my human companians personalities any more than I do my resin ones. They just are who they are. Trev and Eiichi don't smoke, though I did catch Trev blocking Eiichi when he was trying to steal on of Frank's cigs. Takashi will smoke when he gets here, he already does in my mind. He started because it 'fits his image' and I must say that I agree with him.

Those of you who don't see your dolls as alive won't understand what I'm saying, but some of you will. It's just the way that it is for me, so I thought I'd contribute my opinion.

2. no, my dolls doesn't smoke or at least not when they're with me XD
      I'm absolutely ANTI SMOKING
      I hate it it makes me feel BAD @_@

3. Dolls are characters to a lot of people, and just because a character does something does not necessarily mean the creator stands behind it 100%
      For example, as a writer I have a variety of characters. Among them a priest, a pedophile, a social smoker, and a murderer. I don't condone ANY of the above, but the characters fully believe in and support their views. Even the murderer (well...the jerk did deserve it >.> ).
      A person's doll does not have to be a reflection of themselves. A persons doll is just as likely to be an idealized image of their owner as it is to be an entirely different character with its own thoughts, feelings, and motivations. I think it speaks to the maturity of people to stand entirely against something and yet, as a creative person, employ a character who feels the complete opposite as you do.

In summery: it's wrong to assume that just because a doll smokes, the owner condones it, just like it's wrong to assume that anyone writing a horror novel is a batshite insane murderer. Now mind you, if you don't want your doll to smoke, go ahead. It's no one's place but your own to tell you or your doll what to do.

4. I'm guilty of recently posting (in the Gallery) one of my girls smoking. To answer the questions, no I don't smoke, never have and never will. It was a photoshoot where I was having fun goofing around because I had made the outfit and my girl was supposed to be a "French Floozy" (although I didn't mention that in the post). I enjoy taking pictures of my dolls and like "arty" type pictures. I used a small piece of incense so it actually had a glowing tip and smoke which added to the picture...it wasn't just a stagnant piece of paper or cardboard and I thought it was kind of interesting. Since my dolls don't actually have lungs, I really wasn't too worried about it. It was a brief foray into one of my favorite things which is taking pictures of my dolls...I didn't even imagine that it would turn into a big issue. Gee, you can't have any fun anymore...:(

5. of course you can! It's your doll, and you're the artist and you can use whatever props you want in your photo's! Honestly, you aren't saying 'hey everyone! let's smoke!' you're just taking a beautiful picture, the way you feel suited. You're not doing anything wrong, please don't let others stop you! If you want your doll to smoke in your pictures, then just do it!

..I'm sorry for being so fierce XD I just really dislike it when people feel restrained in creating the things they want to create. Expecially when it's about something silly like dolls smoking..it's not like we're advertising for smoking or something..

6. Umm.. they're -dolls-. I find it HIGHLY amusing that you're upset people pose them smoking. Some post their vampire dolls, but I dont see you upset that owners will have hooks attached to their canines and start obsessing over Fangoria.

The cigarettes with some dolls add a rogue/mysterious atmosphere. The way intelligent people know smoking is not exactly the healthiest habit, but do it anyway to relieve stress or escape the moment. I think you're reading too far into it. People who own the smoking dolls are entitled to believe that smoking fits their character.

I personally have a non-smoking Breakaway. XD

7. Being "cool" isn't nesscicarily about being being a healthy and productive member of society. It's more often about being "filthy, disgusting and anti-social." Live fast and die young might not be the best credo by which to live one's life, but that doesn't mean it should be expunged from the fictive realm. Fiction is not about being a manual for living; when it is it's pretty boring. Should we stop writing crime novels because people shouldn't kill each other?

I find cigarettes poetic because they kill you. I like some Thanatos in my Eros, thank you. I write people who smoke too much, drink too much, practice black magick and leave their contacts in for far too long, and I'm not about to stop.

8. I do believe that it is a highly American/Western idea that smoking is a terrible, horrible antisocial thing. Considering that there are cigarette vending mentions roughly every 50 ft in Japan... it's not considered a social stigma or antisocial to start lighting up. You're actually more strange for NOT doing so. There are no "no smoking" sections in Japanese resteraunts.

I grew up with a chain smoker, and while I do not smoke myself because I have terrible asthma and think it's ridiculously expensive, I love the smell. I find it very soothing. I don't judge people who do choose to smoke or who have their dolls smoke. I do tease my younger sister for her habit - she's a chain smoker and a shoe addict and I love telling her that she could have more shoes if she quit smoking.

Cigarettes are also oral fixation objects and I find that watching an attractive man smoke will make him appear even more sexy. It draws attention to their mouth and well, sucking. /end perving, please lisen to Hawksley Workman's "Jealous of Your Cigarette"

Besides....these are dolls. They're not real and in the magical resin world, no one ever gets fat/pregnant/catches STDs/dies or gets sick unless it's appropriately tragic.

9. A couple of my dolls smoke because it's cool ;)

10. I think that is a very good point. Characters are more interesting to me and I can relate to them better when they aren't perfect--humans aren't.

11. I know smoking is bad, I'm well aware of how it effects people growing up in a family where my [great] aunts smoked and my grandmother did. I've seen how it robs your looks, yellows the skin and teeth and gives you nasty phlegmy coughs. Indeed, in Japan, it is all too common. It was here too until someone finally took a stand and decided that we all didn't have to breathe it in.

In real life, from afar, admitedly a man who smokes might look sexier (this can vary though) but I certainly have no desire to 'swap spit'. I get the feeling here that people seem to take doll smoking so far as to that the fake cigs actually have all that junk in them. Come on, it's just paper representative of the "greater evil" they would in no way even be at risk for cancer so it's not really a point. For dolls, it's the symbolism.

My Hound, is a stress smoker, only when things really get to him will he light up. I'm not going to be all "Quit you stupid moron." because it doesn't smell and isn't harmful. If he wants to, that's his business. In real life, I'm not so lenient.

12. Well, two dear family members of mine have died due to smoke related cancer, so no, I dont like smoking. But if you choose to do so, hey its your life. I dont mind a doll smoking, because I doubt it will leave any long term effects. Though, I do think it might be a little leading, or mis-leading to our younger members, because I remember thinking how cool that darn smoking camel was when I was younger. So being so inspired, I tried one puff to be "cool" in like 7th grade. I didnt understand how anyone could keep puffing after tasting it once. It was seriously gross, and my hair stunk all day. I mean, of course smoking is social if you want to meet a bunch of people that smell, and have yellow teeth. I dont find myself odd or out of place because I dont smoke, I like to call myself "unique". LoL.
      But really, it does add charactor to a dolls life, and I am glad *most* of the members who have smoking dolls dont smoke themselves.
      Well, thats all just my opinion. *jen

13. Hehe, my doll isn't allowed to smoke even if she decides she wants to. I'm asthmatic.

14. You know what - you're entirely right. I was just browsing this thread, and wanted to say that I think cigarettes/smoking is 'cool,' but couldn't quite pin down why I find it attractive until I saw your comment.

'Cool' is, in large part, breaking the rules, spurning common sense and good logic and all that.

I find smoking cool. I find mountainclimbing cool. I am not going to smoke or mountainclimb anytime soon because either of those activities might result in my death.

Doesn't mean they're 'bad' things, doesn't mean people 'shouldn't' do them - but there are risks, and the are consequences, and whether you're smoking or climbing Mt. Everest, you take those risks and you accept those consequences. I don't see smoking as somehow a viler risk than any other risk (mountainclimbing is just a random example).

I condone smoking. I do not smoke. If I have dolls, they may or may not smoke, depending on whether I think it suits them. Although I understand your revulsion to smoking, I disagree that smoking is all bad.

My point is, I'm a bit annoyed that (now that, ironically, anti-smoking has become cool) people say 'smoking is bad' rather than 'smoking is bad for your health,' which is more objective.

...I think I've strayed a bit from the topic, by talking about smoking in general, so to get back on track: I don't see any problem with dolls smoking. It's not anyone's responsibility to turn their dolls into role models. If someone actually decides to smoke because they thought cigarette-smoking dolls were cool, then it is still that someone's choice, their responsibility, not the responsibility of the doll owner.

Barney's a good role model. Nobody drools over photoshoots of Barney. (And if there are people who do...please, please, for mercy's sake do not enlighten me.)

15. I agree with Kogepan and soren.

I have one doll that smokes, one who HATES smoking (she has allergies), and one who doesn't but doesn't care if others around him do.

That said, I personally don't smoke often. Maybe once a year when I'm feeling really super depressed or need to stay awake, since smoking keeps me alert, and to be honest, I like the taste. If it were not harmful to my health, then yes, I probably would do it more than maybe once a year.

I think the reason I have a doll that smokes is not only does it just seem to fit his personality, but to me it expresses his sensitivity to the world around him. I know I've found smoking to have a calming or soothing effect, and that's sort of why I thought he would be a smoker.

I also think that it is a dirty habit. Just the amount of tar and nicotine residue that can get all over everything is gross (even more so when you're the person cleaning it off, I certainly wouldn't want that on my dolls...), and I don't like the lingering smell either.

16. my doll smokes because she dosen't have lungs to mess up. and her cigarettes are made of paper, not tabacco, and they don't burn and leave filthy tar on my things.
      I'm pretty neutral on the subject of cigarettes. I mean, i know it's bad for you and it's bad for your stuff, so i don't allow smoking in my apartment. But i'm not anti-smoking in general, it's just someone's personal choice. i think it adds charachter to my doll. Snow's supposed to be kind of frivolous and a bit of a lush. And i found a tiny pack of cigarettes just her size at the comic book store so i had to get them. (i think they were intended for a smoking monkey)

17. I'd rather see a picture of a doll smoking than an owner smoking, personally.

*shrugs*

-- A (who hates the smell of cigarette smoke and gets asthma attacks from too much smoke in clubs, but isn't too worried about the state of tiny resin lungs . . . although I'd rather keep my daughter from getting the idea that smoking is 'cool' -- thankfully, she doesn't think that it is!)

18. Well, personally, I don't like smoking at all. I think it's gross.

However, two of my dolls are smokers, and it's simply because that's who they are. I created their characters, and they decided on their own that they wanted to smoke. I don't do it to make them look cool or anything - it's just how they were born in my head. And besides, they're not REALLY smoking, so what in the world does it hurt? :/

Your post is terribly bitter. o_o I understand that you're put off by smoking, but I was almost intimidated and afraid to admit that my dolls do "smoke".

19. My doll doesn't smoke. Because his usual character is 12.

However, smoking is something intensely sentimental to me. The male figure in my childhood was a chain smoker. He smoked about a pack every one-two days, and always smelled of cigarette smoke... And I can still remember that smell, which brings back really fond memories. He was the father that I knew, so cigarettes are something that... hm. I dunno. Remind me of him, I guess.

Almost every person I cared for in my life smoked.

Therefore, cigarettes have a special meaning to me... A meaning that I find incredibly hard to keep away from dolls and photoshoots. Because, ah, I WANT it there. And I'm certain there are other people in similar situations.

I'd much rather my dolls "smoked" than my friends, though.

20. I think that it might be a healthy outlet for some people.. especially for those who don't actually smoke themselves. By creating a character that does tempting... but unhealthy things allows the creator have an outlet to limit that temptation...

thats just my two pennies... dimes... galloons... currency...

P.S

You have to admit smoking is even on the nasty side... a bit aesthetically pleasing....