1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your doll "smoke"? Why?

Jan 18, 2006

1. I don't plan to make any of my dolls smoke, my dolls will be pretty clean actually 0.o. I might make one of my future dolls have something to do with alcohol but that's about it.

2. I dont smoke, my dolls dont either, mainly bc I have a allergy to it. But if I were to meet up with a fellow BJD person who does that would be fine, and I wouldnt judge them just bc they do

3. I don't like cigarettes, I think they're disgusting in real life, but in fantasy, they look cool. This is one of those things where I separate fantasy from reality.

4. I think the above poster made a very important point--the seperation between fantasy and reality. One of the things about this thread that is very interesting is that most of the people that have said their dolls smoke also have said that they themselves don't smoke in real life and are very aware of the consequences of doing so. So that kind of blows a hole in the whole smoking dolls are a bad influence argument. People are very aware that smoking is unhealthy, but that doesn't make a cigarette a bad prop or aid to character development.

If you (general you now) go to the bookstore or rent movies you'll see characters doing all sorts of things that really aren't desirable, but it's part of their character. BJDs are often used as story telling devices of sorts whether it be through photostories, photoshoots, or fiction. So why do people get so up in arms when people have their dolls do the same sorts of things many other book and film characters do?

I personally feel that if my dolls had no bad habits, flaws, and always made good decisions that I would be completely unable to relate to them--they would be very unhuman. Now that's not saying my dolls' characters and I all share the exact same flaws, but the fact is that none of us in my house human or resin is perfect.

5. I don't smoke, my dolls don't smoke either.
      My nose is very sensitive, I sneeze heavily when I breath the smoke from someone else. I sneeze when I smell a non-lighted cigarette as well.
      You're right. Smoking is not cool at all.

By the way, I wonder if cigarette stain the dolls? I wonder about it since cigarette stain our teeth and such.

6. im quite sensative as well. i work at a supermarket and whenever a heavy smoker comes in (or the bosses they ALL smoke alot) i start to cough. other kinds of smoke dont bother me as much. im a firefighter and only fake smoke bothers me, but cigarette smoke realy gets me. i have relatives that smoke too and smoking took my grandmother two months before my parents were married, so verdict is NONE of my dolls will ever smoke

7. My girls never smoke because they are ladies of Victorian! = =+ (heehee)
      Actually, I just make an outfit of pirate for one of my girl, but I won't consider cigarette being part of her outfit. It is not healthy... not cool... (just for my own opinion)

8. Mine seem... too innocent to smoke. It wouldn't fit in well with their characters at all. I just can't see Liam sitting back on his Kingdom Hearts paopu plushie and lighting up a Marlboro.

If I ever had a "rebel in leather" type of a doll, I wouldn't immediately nix the idea of them smoking for a photostory, but... eh. I'd rather make them clothing than cigarette props.

9. I don't smoke(my parents do though) and I certainly don't think it's cool because I hate the smell of smoke and every time my parents buy a pack of cigarettes I think "OMG DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY DOLLS YOU COULD'VE BOUGHT BY NOW?!" Despite this one of my characters(and hopefully a future doll of her) does smoke. It's a nervous habit for her ha ha.

10. I don't like smoking, but one of my dolls smokes.

This comes from the time when he was a piece of drawn paper with some minor writing. In the world my characters live in, Heine's (the doll that smokes) life has been tough. He wasn't properly rised, and started smoking as a product of having not-so-great companies and a marvelous lighter someone gave him maaaany years ago. In this story, he has been told several times to quit, and his answer has always been "This is the only thing I do regurlarly, you'd call it a habit. A dangerous habit."

So that's about it~

11. Okay... um... Im going to try to be as nice about this as possible

1. Some of my friends smoke, but their addicted and there trying to stop but it is really really hard
      and they're good people, so dont you dare call my friends disgusting and vulgar just because they smoke!!
      Yes they know the risk, but its a hell of a lot tougher to stop smoking then most people think.
      2. Be careful how you state things in your post, seriously... from what I have read in some of the previous post, you offended and hurt a lot of peoples feelings
      3. As for some dolls smoking, I think it more so ever has to do with the character, not with "OMG ITS SO COOL!!" its just the personallity
      4. They are the owners dolls, not yours.... the owners of the dolls can do whatever the hell they want with there dolls. If it was your doll, do whatever the hell you want with it. but its not so... sorry.
      5. Im sorry for ranting and I hope I didnt offend you

12. It looks like a lot of people thinks smoking is an awfull habit...
      But there is plenty of people who didn't appreciate the way this opinion is said, and I'm part of them.

I don't smoke and I don't like the smell of cigarettes. But I do understand all those who think it's a cool habit. Well, it used to be! Now we all know that it's unhealthy but the way we look at the cigarettes is hard to change.
      About my dolls. One of them smokes but I don't see it like a woman smoking because it's cool or anything else. It's more like this: she's a busy woman and has a lot of reasons to be worry. That's why she's smoking.

13. I agreee with you on the point about like or dislike the smoking habit. On a doll, it couldn't be so bad, it's just appearances, our dolls can make all whe couldn't (or shouldn't ;)), so...
      Personnaly my two dolls are smoking...they are Subaru and Seishirô from Clamp, don't have the choice:lol:

14. I avoid smokers like the plague, and it's hard because my own mother used to be one! I have some issues because she still smoked when she was obviously pregnant with me and I have asthma as a result and was quite ill as a baby (Can highly recommend hypnotherapy and will-power for those who want to quit though, worked on a stubborn woman who never wanted to give up!)

I don't think smokers are bad people, I just don't choose to hang around with people who smoke and in this world of political correctness, I still think it's a person's individual right to choose who they spend time with and I don't have much time for people who blame their stressful lives, their annoying kids, their frustrating partner, the business, the housework, the dog, the cat etc etc etc for their continuing addiction and this goes just as much for my mother as anyone else! If you hate it that much, you will conquer it, however hard it is. If you blame other people for your addiction, you'll never stop and you probably don't want to anyway.

Anyway....... I wouldn't have my dolls smoke, but it doesn't bother me if someone else does it with their dolls. After all, doll ciggies are pretend, don't make a smell, and are there for the look of the thing more than anything else. Real cigarettes stink, are not cool and are not character building, as far as I am concerned. As long as the fact that the doll smokes is more of a background issue than the whole or only interesting fact about that character, I don't mind...although I would still probably switch off a photostory featuring smoking dolls because the idea really doesn't grab me.

15. I've never used a cigarette as a prop and I'm not sure I ever will...though I might, but it's not because I smoke [I'm deathly allergic] or because I think it looks cool. It's because I have characters who smoke.

And I don't have them smoke because I find it cool, but everyone has bad habits or things they need to get out of. My Kill_U_2nd, Rook, is a character from a story I'm writing and he smokes so it would be a possibility for a prop for him....unless his friend Chimera gets him to quit because he absolutely hates that Rook smokes.

In real life, I'm 100% against smoking. But in fiction, and this hobby, where the dolls/characters aren't actually lighting up, filling the air with smoke, or giving me massive headaches or asthma attacks, I really don't care. No harm done. I don't think anyone posts pictures of their dolls with cigarettes with the intention of promoting the habit so...no big deal.

And I completely agree with Demmini. People should be careful about how they word things. Smoking does not make you a bad person. I know a lot of people thing the habit itself is disgusting, but that doesn't make the person disgusting. My step-dad smokes and, as much as I wish he would quit...for himself as well as my mom, he's a funny, kind, supportive person and I would hate for him to be judged so harshly because of his addiction. -_-

16. I may have posted before but its too far back to find. In real life, I find smoking gross. It may "look cool" from a distance but get too close and the real foulness of it becomes apparent.
      I don't hold harsh opinion towards those who do. My Mom's side of the family was full of smokers, and as a child I'd often be playing on the deck while the adults smoked. I've come to associate one of the scents of smoking (there are a lot of smells when it comes to cigs and I only like the one) with comfort and safety D:

My one doll is an occasional smoker who tends to do it when he's stressed out. I'm not even sure how that habit got into his character but my other characters are always looking for a way to get him to quit XD.

17. I actually enjoy watching my smoking friends. I go outside with them when they smoke, even though I do not. I do not consider it dirty.
      cigarette smoke reminds me of people I knew in the past, just as beery smells remind me of my late father.

That said, I like looking at pictures of smoking dolls - but all the tiny cigs I've seen so far are too fat to be 'to scale' for their fingers. So, it looks really weird unless it's a well-done home made one.
      Still, I enjoy the image. My own doll would smoke (part of the character "Marathon Smoker") if I could find something satisfying to-scale for him.

18. Does your doll smoke? Yes
      Does your doll smoke because you do? Yes
      That's logically at least *smile*

19. Fantasy =/= Reality

I hate cigarettes and cigarette smoke IRL. I still have two characters who smoke, because they're not real and that takes a lot of the unpleasantness out of it.

Both characters are also vampires. Should I worry that I'm encouraging impressionable children to go out and drink blood?

20. My dolls don't smoke. It just doesn't appeal to them. They tried it and decided they didn't like it.