1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your doll's size affect people's reactions towards them?

Dec 11, 2006

1. Having never taken mine out in public, I'm not sure how to answer that part, but I know that as far as people seeing them for the first time in my home or something, they tend to react better to the smaller ones.

Most people I know (who aren't accustomed to bjds) tend to find them more creepy as they get bigger.

2. The only big doll I've taken out that's gotten a positive reaction is Moira. The rest get the "uhm, okay" reaction. The tinys, especially the Yo size, always seem to be received well, and thought of as "cute".

3. I don't even have a doll to be taken out in public yet, but... I'm afraid of SDs. :sweat They just remind me too much of that Chuckie doll that I've seen - it's irrational, but they're just too big for me to be comfortable with, which is why I ordered an MSD sized one.

4. Hehe...i can tell tinies get the positive attention when the bigger ones getting "That's kind of creepy" comments XD
      At least that's what happened to me...:)

5. I think it does, becouse whenever someone sees by DS boys, one of the first things I hear is "Oh my, he's so big!"

6. Well, sorta.... Most people do tend to be 'offed' by Farera's size, and looks, I even had someone think he/she was real! :aeyepop: But once I brought Eien to work with me and everyone thought she was so cute!... However when I brought Farera they didn't seem as interested and more weired :?

7. My doll hasn't arrived yet, but he's a 63cm doll. I'm assuming he's going to be heavy and such since he's two feet tall. Most people don't notice when you carry around small things, even if they're odd, but I'm guessing they're going to notice Nathaniel... I don't plan on taking him out in public when I get him until I get a carrying bag, but I hope no one says nothing mean to him. >.<

8. I have a friend who goes to an art school- and she's seen pictures of him, but was amazed in real life!
      So far, everyone I've shown them to has called them big and gorgeous.
      My 60 and 70 cm dolls are just big enough for my mommy to call them her
      grandchildren! <3

9. I flipped as well when I found out the size of the SD. Bye bye, Barbie!

10. I have Barbies still, but I don't play with them anymore. Well, I have two Barbies and five sailor Moon dolls. >.< But I'm kind of excited to have such a big doll. He looks fun to play with.

11. People tend to look at the bigger dolls with hesitation, but they want to grab and play with the smaller ones. having lowered eyelids and not big soul-eating eyes helps with accessibility too!

12. A lot of my friends are traditional doll collectors, and they seem stunned that my Elfdoll Rainy's are so tall and so heavy.....Tibby

13. The dollpeople I meet are fine with the different sizes because they have (or have seen) child-sized dolls like Himstedts. The people who are not doll-friendly definately warm up more to the smaller ones. Although, one woman I work with was pretty fascinated by Olivier. She wanted to take his head off and use him for a reenactment of The Headless Horseman!

Nancy

14. I don't take my dolls out for walks or meetings or anything-- they're mostly for my own enjoyment-- but when people walk into my dorm, the responses are pretty similar to what some of the other members described.

AKA

*Look at the CH Little Juniors* Awwwh
      *Looks at Choa* ZOMG?

15. I would say that smaller would garner a more positive reaction in general from people who aren't "into" dolls. In my experience people tend to manifest precious over something smaller and less threatening.

That being said, it was my SD that my mom seemed most smitten with of all of my girls--on her arrival day, I caught my mom in the kitchen staring at Remedy, fixing her shirt, then beeping Remedy's nose with her finger.

16. Well, I think little ones with flower dresses will be less scary than 60 cms in leather pants xD To the average man on the street, anyway.

Generally, small equals cute and toy-like. I admit that I myself am creeped out by those large, "Just Like Me" Barbie dolls. So small can also be seen as less threatening.

17. Absolutely, one of my friends was a Barbie collector then moved on to the
      16" fashion dolls. She finally got a Naripon and then decided on two 60cm Elfdolls. When they came she freaked out about the size and sold them right away. Who knows what people will do.
      In real life, little is 'good' and big is 'bad'. Sad to say.

18. When I first showed my mom a 60cm BJD her reaction was, " Eh? It's so small!"
      I imagine when I told her the price of a doll, she assumed it was life size! >_>

In general, people are a little freaked out about the size of my BJD's. I guess when I tell my friends I collect dolls, they assume Barbie!! and get twitchy when they see my girls..."big, lifelike and scary".

I definitely agree that smaller/cuter doesn't get you such a weird reaction from others. I use to have some tiny dolls and people would NOT leave them alone, that was so frustrating. D= I suppose they feel that a 10cm doll isn't as intimidating as a big BJD and won't "give you nightmares". Yup, people call label my dolls "evil". (All direct quotes from friends and family). :daisy

19. Mostly of my friends saw a doll only in a pic. They didn't know how hieght the are. And thr first time I told that they're 60cm.

How big they are!!!...everyone said...^_^;

20. i havent had any creep-out reactions from others about my boy. Its mostly lust HHHHHH.......oooowwww shes so cute, then i have to correct that he's a boy!!!! anyway he his a kid Delf. so i believe that his size has to do with a lot of it. The first doll's i ever seen where my firends EL twins. When i first walked into the room i was like :? to me the looked so real and for a second i thought they would start moving around on their own!!!