1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your doll's size affect people's reactions towards them?

Dec 11, 2006

1. When I first found out about 60cm + bjds my reaction was 'wow, that is big...cool!' :D Unfortunately nobody else I've spoken to have responded quite so positively, having said that most of my friends haven't come to terms with Blythe and Pullip yet...

2. I am not sure. Some of my friends prefer the bigger dolls and some said smaller dolls. I collect 1" scale dolls too and they are easily lost. Bigger dolls are easier to find I think, btu some people think it is scarier when they are big. I don't know :) I got mixed results.

3. I started out with a MSD girl... So, naturally, when I got an SD13 Boy, I was shocked at how big he was! D: But I got over it...

My, mom, though... She's a bit ":/" about his size. She wanted me to get a MSD Mario instead of my Syo, because she's quite used to Imelda.

60cm dolls have such a presence... It's hard to explain.

4. i've had my new doll out in public only once. i took him to work to show the girls there what i was always talking about *talks about her boys too much* but i hafta say the reactions were less than i expected.

he's a soulkid harang and instead of "he's cute!" or "he's creepy!" or anything like that, all i got was "i can't touch THAT! it was $300!"

>_< never tell a person how much the things cost!

5. I certainly get more of a reaction for Amaya than my others ^^
      Of course it's usually the squeal and cute! comments but more comments none the less.

6. Hmm... I haven't taken my 60 cm girl out in public yet, and I'm still waiting on a tiny or mini... But when she first arrived, everybody who saw her was like "HOLY CRAP THAT IS A BIG DOLL". It seems like with non-doll people, the smaller size seems more "normal", and thus less strange?

7. I think most people are "comfortable" with dolls not too much larger than a Barbie. Most people have been in a toy store, and most of those dolls are around that height. Anything much bigger is usually a baby doll.

It was always really cool to have bigger dolls. I've had larger dolls, and they were always my favorite because they were larger than what I usually owned. I think nothing much has changed, though. People are still taken off-guard by larger dolls because bigger dolls don't seem to be popular.

Tinies and MSD's are easier to understand because, while there's more going on with them than Barbies, they aren't so big.

8. Oh definitly, I bring out my Little Monica Honey Harmony and everyone wants to hold him or look at him, but most people look at my Volks MSD or my friend's 70cm Dollpire with fear or aprehension. I think the most common comment was, "Isn't that thing a little too big?"

9. I'd say smaller dolls definitely get a better reaction in my experience. My 1/12th scale has been better accepted than my 1/4th when I take her out (I haven't even dared wander with my 1/3rd's). I think it's because she's so tiny she's easier to ignore by those who find her unsettling and the amount of detail in something so small is pretty impressive even to non-doll fans.

10. well i don't need anyone to prove my love to BJD
      but of course when people are staring at you and your dolls in the street,
      you'll feel like you've got sth wrong
      in order to avoid people's sight, i'll go out with my dolls together with my fds even they don't really love BJD as i do
      this method works in some way i think

11. Ohmygosh, I totally observed this! During my first meet, one of my friends attended, and accompanying her was her SD Graffiti Alice. Considering those of us attending the meet were below the age of eighteen and rather small, the inordinately large proportions of Alice were offsetting. As a result, we elicited a lot of strange looks from impartial onlookers. Little children who happened to be in the venue where the meet was held at the time seemed somewhat intimidated by the accompanying SDs, as opposed to the MSDs and YoSDs present. Most people found the smaller dolls rather endearing, and the larger dolls creepy.
      SailorLimaBean: "SD13's make people think you do nasty, freaky things when no one is looking." Or SDs in general. I was actually thinking the same thing... For some reason, SDs tend to evoke that... freaky air among people unfamiliar with BJDs. As if, somehow, SDs were intended for those with more prurient interests. =.=*I may not own any, but lawd...

12. I can really only speak for public appearances, rather than meets (I haven't been paying attention at meets)

Big dolls seem to creep people out. Like "Why are you carrying that massive thing around?" and then small dolls like 1/6 and less are more "cute" and seem more like "pocket" items that are a bit more accepted. I do like my 1/4 though, it's right inbetween being "wtf huge" and "aww look at the tiny thing." It seems most 'doll like' because many people know baby dolls and AG dolls that are the same size.

13. I had the opposite reaction to those saying small dolls were more appealing. My mother in law, and friends at work loved my dollfie dream and msd dolls, but 'weren't a fan' of my smaller < yosd sized dolls.

I think it is because the larger ones looked more like traditional collectable dolls which seems more acceptable, where the tiny dolls look more like toys.

14. I really want SD size doll. I have never had such a big doll and it seems cool. My mom, however, has a different idea. She thinks that SD is too big since she prefers tiny dolls. I hope that once we will get SD she will realize that it's size is quite normal.

15. Yes, people sure do react to large dolls differently! Whatever their reaction is to a regular-sized doll (admiration or freakout), if the doll is 65cm+, multiply that reaction by 2 or 3.

I dunno if it's just due to their sheer gravitational field, but EID Superhero dolls especially really draw people in. Maybe it's because these guys have the huge solid presence of an infant in your arms-- I'm a tall person, but 1 of these dolls totally fills up my arms!-- but they have those decidedly non-childish dreamboat faces. I once brought my Akando to a doll-related-arts show; he was much cooed-over by the art ladies, who thought we BJD folk were kinda weird, but who were fascinated to see a male doll on that scale. Then again, it must be said that Northern California's Art Ladies generally have a great sense of humor and take lots of weirdness in stride ("Ooh, look at him!" "Is he single?" "There's my new boyfriend right there!").

I think out-of-context observers probably get wigged-out because seeing 1 big doll makes them imagine what your house must look like.

16. Eheh. Well, I think it depends on the person. Because I'm in fine arts university most of the people i associate with or are friends with are rather used to rather large mannequins and sculptures, so the size usually doesn't frightens many.

My SSDF is usually perceived as stunning rather than anything but most of those people wouldn't be comfortable having a doll of that size around. For my closest friends even MSDs are considered large -but again, no negative comments of any sort- I have only gotten good words for them as well save for the regular off comment that they are scary/creepy/the eyes freak them out thing.

I have found out that people don't really react that much to yo-sized dollies or tinies, however. I suppose the size can make an impression.

17. Yes, I know size matters in dolls. When my sister first got her SD boy I was SHOCKED at how big he was! Now that I have seen him a lot and have a SD girl of my own I don't see the size anymore. I only remember how big my girl is when some family comes over or a friend that is not into BJDs and says "OMG Shes huge!" ;)

18. Yeah, Size does matter. The smaller, the cuter. Same with people, they have better reactions to kids than to teenagers or adults. same with dolls, and dogs and cats and practically everything else.

19. My parent's reactions to an MSD and a 70cm respectively:

Mum: Oh, he's so gorgeous! He's perfect!
      Dad: Look how detailed he is!

Mum:... they're taking over the house. Help! Doll invasion! No room at the inn!
      Dad: It looks like a giant emo.

..... :sweat :lol:

20. I don't know if it does matter. I take Angelo to conventions with me, and I get a lot of positive attention because of him. He's a 60cm big guy, and people love to ask about him and look at him. People often take my picture, and ask to have him in the picture. In fact, I sometimes feel like I get too much good attention! I've had his face-up touched, and sometimes people are so interested and curious that they forget to ask before touching him or handling him. I don't have an MSD to try, and I haven't had my tiny long enough to tell if she gets better reactions. But, compared to some of the stories I hear, Angelo gets lots of love. Some of the few people who seem to think he's creepy are my neighbors, but they sometimes feel like a second family to me, and therefore tease me a lot. I think that they would affectionately tease no matter what size he was. They actually ended up giving me money for clothes for him once. My parents also think my dolls are creepy and weird, and they've seen all three (Two SDs and the tiny). They tease me too, but they do genuinely accept the hobby as something that's important to me. My younger brother loves all three dolls and his reactions don't really change from doll to doll. He's always excited to see all of them.