1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your height affect your doll's height?

Jan 31, 2011

1. I'm not sure how much height has to do with it but it does seem that most people are most comfortable with a certain size, or some sizes and not others.
      But for statistics sake, I'm 5'5" and like MSD/SDC size the best because I feel most comfortable handling/posing that size but I also have SD/SD10 (no more than 58cm) because I like the clothing options and slight more maturity that size has.
      I wish there was a standard size in between the two sometimes though.
      Sometimes I wonder if I prefer MSD because my first dolls were MSD. It seems most people (around my height and in general) prefer 60+cm.
      I've tried owning taller dolls around 62cm before and it really just seems like too much for me to handle.
      Likewise when I hold tinies I feel like I don't know what to do with it.
      I have 1/6 vinyl dolls and don't have this problem though so maybe it's just the age/proportions that I'm not into.

2. I'm tallish 5'9" and have big hands, so something really tiny I would worry about breaking or misplacing. Hard to lose something half your height anywhere though.

3. I'm 5'3" and my biggest is a Sabik Elf (80cm). I don't see height as an issue as long as the doll isn't bigger than me.
      If anything I find that my chunky hands make it harder to handle smaller dolls >.>
      I'm always dropping my poor puki's...

4. No.... definitely not. I'm 5'0", and my biggest is 58cm, and I'd go even bigger...
      However my dolls' heights affect my incoming dolls' heights. They have to match, especially if they're a couple.

5. for me yes my height (4'11") does factor into which dolls I buy I honestly can not handle large dolls so I try to stick to MSD or smaller I have tried bigger dolls but found them to hard to carry so I ended up selling them

6. I dont think it will ever effect me i buy dolls when im in love with their face face....to me size should not matter.

7. I am a tall person, but I don't think I deliberately chose all these giants because of it. ^^ I am about 5'9", and my 80cm Mecha Angel and I could just barely walk hand-in-hand, if I lean over, and if he were an ambulatory sort of merman.

Sometimes I notice I have less trouble lifting & manipulating large dolls than some of my smaller friends do, just by virtue of having a bit more general leverage. And then, too, there's the spectator factor: Proportionwise, an Iplehouse EID looks like a large infant in my arms, which is amusing-- but on a small person, it looks downright alarming. :lol:

But really, I have hung out with some pretty tiny people who have lots of 65-70cm dolls, and they do just fine! That doll may be tall, but it's still smaller than you. Establish dominance and show it who's boss. :P

8. I am what many people consider short (5' 3"). I love having SD size dolls, but I think 70cm is a bit too big for me. I like around 60cm. My friend has a 70cm Dollzone Asura and I find him difficult to handle.

9. Im short and Im a guy, Im just about 5 foot 4 inches tall! I have never thought about it effecting my doll choice, I wouldnt mind a doll as tall as me or something, but I am more about the weight of a doll, I like them light as I have fibromyalgia which effects my joints, so heavy objects are a no no! My biggest doll was an Iplehouse EID woman and she was too 'big' to handle.

10. Hmm I'm 5'4", but I never really thought about doll height in relation to me personally. I am saving for an SD boy. I mean, I know he'll be big, but I don't think he'll overwhelm me. Now, if he were half or full scale oh yeah! XD

11. At first it did, somewhat. I'm another shorty, standing at about 5'0 (which sounds better than 4'11.5), but unlike most people I know my height or slightly taller, I have freakishly large hands. I found it difficult to handle smaller dolls, but I also found larger dolls too intimidating due to my height. So I went in between and collected MSDs, which is still my favourite and most comfortable size.

Since I started collecting though I've really expanded my idea of whats "too big" vs whats "too small" and it no longer has to do with my height, but rather do I have space for them on my shelf and can I see myself enjoying playing with them x3 Soon I'll have sizes from YOsd to 70cm and am rather excited about the idea of having a doll almost half my height! Actually, one of my friends who is my same exact height only owns a 70cm doll, vs another friend of mine who is 5'9 and owns a PKF, which after playing with is definitely too small for me!

12. I’m only 5’3”, I curse my height every single moment of my life; I wanted to grow to be 6’ 6”.
      However, I don’t let my shortness affect the doll-sizes I buy – for me it’s only about the aesthetics
      of the doll itself. My tallest doll right now is 67cm, only because I haven’t seen a taller doll that I find
      appealing enough to commit to buying (I don’t sell my stuff). Although I am contemplating SoulDoll’s Centaur
      Chiron, it’s not his 70cm height that keeps me from buying him, it’s his overall massiveness – I am not sure
      that I can handle such a behemoth of a doll. I am scrawny and weak on top of being short. So I keep rethinking whether
      it would be a good idea or not – it might not be all that fun playing with him if I get tired just lifting him up,
      or reposing him during photo-shoots. >_<;

- Enzyme

13. While I certainly feel that 5'1" is an embarrassing height for me, it hasn't limited my selection of what I want and what I don't. However, when I get that IP EID Luo, I know it'll be difficult to handle because of how itty-bitty I am and how large he'll be. My DIM Love body is a difficult to carry.

But, perhaps if I was taller it would stop me from letting my KDF ride on my shoulder. A 6' fall is much worse than a 5' fall...

14. No. My height doesn't affect my choice of dolls, but my kids do. My children are growing so quickly that I love the idea of buying dolls that look young and small and remind me of the character or expressions of my children when they were toddlers. It is like having a tiny person to play with that won't get bigger, not want to play with me, argue, talk back.... hahaha. I don't buy dolls that LOOK like my kids, but I like to buy ones that have those typical expressions or personalities that remind me of their attitude and temperament.

15. As a short person myself (155 cm or around 5'1" i think), handling big dolls (bigger than 70cm) is hard thing to do (size and weight wise). I got Senior Delf (62.5 cm) and i still could handle him (barely). Anything bigger than him... i don't think i could.

Although secretly I've been wanting Soom MA for couple years now (especially Rex, too bad he's discontinued tho). His size (80 cm) and weight (2.1 kg) are rather dishearten me. But I might give in in the future, who knows..

So for now....yes, it affects me.

16. I'm kind of in that same boat. I'm not the shortest person I know, but I am the shortest person in my family... I'm pretty short, I guess. I might someday have one or two SDs when I have more space to keep them in, but the bulk of the dolls I actually plan on buying are MSD. It's a really convenient size for me! My boy fits into the crook of my arm really nicely. If he was much taller, it would be more of a chore to carry him and deal with him. As he is, I just love him, and most of my family is definitely going to stay in that height range.

=^__^=
      Anneko

17. I'm not short... 5'6"... not amazingly tall, either. I don't think my height affects my choice of dolls. Maybe I'd have to think about it a bit more if I was very small... but if I liked big dolls, I don't think I'd let it stop me! There's not a HUGE difference between the 60, 65 and 70cm, I think. Taller than that gets heavier, but plenty of small folks can handle big dolls just fine. And there are big folks who prefer tinies... I think it's something for a small person to consider a really large doll if they are pretty weak and like to carry dolls around a lot... but other than that, I don't think it matters.

18. The truth is I never compare my height to a BJD's one when I am thinking about getting him/her. I just follow the measurements of the characters they are in 1/3 scale. I am a 5'3" (159cm) short person, who is really happy with her height, but my favorite BJD size to own for myself has always been the large one. All my BJD of this size would be quite taller than me if same scale. My tallest large size BJD is about 75cm and the least tall is 56,5cm. I always find the way to handle with it. Only two of the twelve are of an smaller size and kind of short for 1/3 scale. The fact that these two are also short, as I am, is just a coincidence.

19. Not really. I'm about 5'4'', so not super tall either, and I definitely love big dolls. I usually stick to 60 - 65 cm for my own crew but that is simply because it fits the characters. I love handling my friend's Mecha Angels and carry them around whenever I visit him.
      We'd even get 1/1 scale BJDs :XD:

20. In me average of growth of 170 cm and now in me two dolls (53 cm and 16 cm), want still the tall girl 68 cm. But 80 sm for me are high, though all can be... In general my growth doesn't influence growth of my dolls.