1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Betrayal

Nov 11, 2018

1. Sort of. Gray was supposed to keep the official looks dollzone gave him and I bought all the clothing and wigs but now he is completely different from what I wanted him to be :sweat

2. xD Jups... My BoyPink Re:Sen was suposed to become the main character of my story who is a Goth girl named Raven. Well, HE has a mind of his own and decided he can't be a girl, doesn't like all the dark stuff and actually is a nature loving wanderer/traveler wearing more 'hippie' like clothes. Oh and he demanded the name Banba, who is an Irish Godess, yeah a female name... xD

3. That would be Yumiko. I had a shy wallflower character planned for her, and even blank and bald she insisted that was not who she was. And promptly demanded a katana, which I still haven't gotten for her.

4. Only one out of the six dolls I have currently went as I had planned, and I think that only worked out because the plan I did had for him was so loose and nebulous that he was nearly an "anything goes" sort of character! For me at least, the BJD hobby has been a lot like my writing hobby, it's more about getting the doll (or character) home (or on the page) and letting them sort of speak for themselves.

5. Absolutely! I still insist on one of my dolls to wear edgy/dark clothing but she keeps leaning towards frilly dresses!

6. I think this has happened more with characters slowly not fitting a sculpt after some time has passed more than anything else. With a majority of the ones I've ended up reshelling, I felt like they were perfect---that I'd gotten it just right. As time passed...they began telling me this isn't working anymore. It's happened to two of my faves, and a couple others. Tauli is one of the most recent, and it was a sudden thing. I wasn't planning to make any changes to her, and then..bam. I came across a specific head on the secondhand market, and the change was inevitable from that point on.

As for other incidences, Kismet (minifee Mika) was going to be a cropped haired spiritual half for Tahmos, but she ended up becoming her own, separate persona for a character from an entirely different story. The cropped hair also ended up becoming ringlets in varying shades of blue.

7. I'm always changing styles and what I'd like my dolls to wear. I think that I'm so picky the dolls tell me to chill and just pick something already lol.

8. The very first doll I ever bought had her character 'jump shell' after two years. She went from a shy, strong, genius auto mechanic to a stoic and reserved AI violinist from a post-apocalyptic future. She is the only one I've really had this problem with thus far.

9. Oh yes. Weirdly they often do it to me with their hair. Most of my lads were supposed to have short hair but they've nearly all preferred long hair, which is even weirder because I've seen the same sculpt with short and it suited them but it just wasn't for my guys.

10. I had Pintrest boards set up for Carlisle going with a pastel-goth demon vibe - when he arrived his posing was so sassy he immediately struck me as a spoilt diva, and now he's decided he's not a satyr at all he's a tiefling! A tiefling that likes the high contrast 80's trash vibes, no less

11. I have definitely had this happen. Over the years, I’ve learned to make have general concepts and ideas but nothing solid. I don’t even pick out names anymore without doll in hand because I always end up changing the name. I have a small list of names I like, names that I might use as jumping off points to find other names, but nothing solid.

12. All of my dolls are in progress pretty much ^^'' Me with every new doll: it shall have white hair and cute style and be super happy, also me when recieving them: hello yes enjoy your dark style and forever brooding personality. And then I bond with their dark style and I'm still trying to get some happy pastel dolly x'D

13. This happened with my Calypso! I wanted her to be this gothic enchantress named Agatha but she instead took up the role as a colorful mermaid sea sprite!

14. 1000% yes!
      My FCS F-01 (Hitagi) was supposed to be relatively similar to her older sister Nadeko (SDG Megu) but having the same face is where the similarities end. She doesn't share tastes in style or even colors with Nadeko making shopping for her so much more difficult. My DearSD Una (Koyuki) similarly takes after Hitagi instead of Nadeko and thus I have two girls who were intended to be somewhat fluffy and colorful but love nothing more than simple black things.

I would say that my DearSD Megu (Mafuyu) also falls into this category but she was not planned and was gifted to me out of nowhere so I guess that the lack of self-preparation contributes to her attitude problems.

15. Yep. I fell in love with IOS's Grazia and I have not got any idea what to do with him. Then I see Black Butler and realized that he will be Undertaker... Nowadays I just don't want him to be a character doll... I want him to be an oc... or I just make some test to deal with the problem...

16. My minifee Sircca, who is now named Siofra, has been like that almost since I got her. She's gone through about... 8? iterations and I'm just hoping that this one finally sticks. I love everything she's been, she's just picky :XD:

17. Lol! EVERY.SINGLE.ONE. I've now started having just a general idea of character until the doll is in hand. Then I live with them for a while and play with them until something presents itself

18. Yes -- just recently! It happened only once, my dolls are either my pre-existing OCs or characters from books/movies. So, I was quite shocked by it.

My DearMine DL boy was supposed to be styled like a pixie -- similar to this:
      https://i.pinimg.com/564x/9d/6e/ad/9d6eade98516e73252efa3a407145cd3.jpg
      http://www.lillemantel.com/uploads/1/4/2/4/14247808/9357210.jpg?425
      http://www.lillemantel.com/uploads/1/4/2/4/14247808/8801544_orig.jpg
      https://i.etsystatic.com/6184016/r/il/583f7a/314729555/il_794xN.314729555.jpg

But no! I've got everything ready...And it turned out he likes lace, tulle, fur, metallic prints, embroidery, and skirts. I had to start over again. Only the eyes I previously chose were approved -- fortunately. They were quite pricey. Strangely, he still is the character I was shelling, he's just different than I thought. It's the first time this ever happened to me.

19. I had one that tried. He relented for a while, but then I found one wig that worked for the character planned for him. And, it all started to fall into place. Looking back at old photos of the 'stand-in' characters, it's... weird. Like he's not the same doll. I don't know why he relented at first, to accept the character I had planned. Now, I can't picture him in any other wig. As any other character.

Also, Sam - my only girl - seems to have rejected pink hair for a deep crimson. It suits her, don't get me wrong, but it's not 'her'. In the story she's from, her hair colour is kind of dependent on life events. It's pink, when she gets together with her boyfriend, so it remains pink through their relationship. Until they're not together, and she changes to teal, to reflect her sorrow. Red? That's a completely different character! Saying that, it has kind of strengthened her bond with this other guy. They're like siblings; it's cute... I need to return to that story.

20. Stephanie, my SD13 F-59, was supposed to be the pretty girly girl. She arrived, said *bleep* that, and proceeded to be the grunge-y tomboy she felt like being.

Everyone else more or less behaved or I didn't have anything particularly in mind for them other than 'I want this doll'. They do have a habit of telling me what they want when they get here, though. Especially Tori, who told me first of all that I was going to be taking her home, then wanted a different body, then more clothes... XD