1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Bonding. Can you, or can't you?

Oct 3, 2010

1. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      I think its certainly possable.

What does the term "bonding" in the doll world mean to you?
      To me, it means i like the doll enough to keep it, and it becomes precous to me over time. I've had very few instances where the "bond" was instant, right out of the box. I usually give it a few months (or years in a couple of cases) before i declare that the doll isnt working for me and sell it on.

What do you think of the term? Is there a better word that could be used?
      I can certainly see what others have said in this thread about owners feeling like they have to live up to the "bonding stereotype", however i dont let it bother me anymore. When i was still a noob i put much more importance on it, as i was made to feel like it was the thing to do. There was always a bit of an unspoken rule that not bonding was 'bad' and you should avoid it at all costs lest you be labelled a bad dolly mum. Still, i have seen a lot less of that attitude in recent years... maybe it was just me being paranoid LOL!
      These days i dont care much... Either i love the doll and it stays with me, or i dont love the doll, i'm dissapointed and it leaves again. The hobby at large has no say in the matter.

Have you ever bonded, or not bonded with a doll once it arrived home?
      Bonding is hard to define in some ways. I had one doll in particular was too child-like for the charecter i had in mind when he arrived and so he was sold soon after, but does that really count as not bonding?? I'm not sure i think so.
      I've also had a couple of dolls i grew out of. I kept them around for a couple of years but eventually my love for them faded, and they got left on the shelf more and more until i finally sold them on to new homes. I dont think that counts either.
      On the other hand, the rest of my collection are still here, and are much loved! So i suppose that means i have "bonded" with each of them. I've had dolls that i adored instantly out of the box, but i've also had just as many that i had to work at a little to get there.

Has not bonding with a doll caused you to sell it? Why?
      Again, i'm not sure if it counts but yes. Not feeling right with a doll, or not wanting to play with it anymore has caused me to sell - simply because what is the point in having a big expensive doll sitting around if i dont get anything out of it? If i'm not playing with it, taking photos, dressing it up or any of the other things i do with my dolls... then it isnt right for me and it shouldnt stick around. It just ties up space and money that i could use on the dolls i do love.

Is it weird to be able to "bond" with an inanimate object?
      I dont think its weird... I collected My little pony's when i was a small child, and i played with them a lot like i play with my dolls now; creating charecters and adventures for them. Using your imagination isnt weird - its normal!
      Having said that, i do think its possable to take it too far as well... But i've never seen or heard of anyone going to those sorts of extreams with BJD's! (yet)

2. I'm not sure if everyone can bond with their dolls. If someone orders a doll that they want because it looks good they will probably sell it for a better looking doll later on. People who buy dolls with a purpose or for sentimental reasons will probably love it more. I absolutely bonded with my doll, and it was love at first sight. Opening the box the day I got it I was already completely attached to it, but maybe it takes a certain kind of person.

3. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      Yes, depending on the doll very easily.

It's a closeness, something drawing you together like a magnet. When I bond with a doll it's like a gushing of love and care, knowing nothing could come between us.

No, bonding is great.

Twice in fact. We worked at it really hard but when you know you know, that's the difference. Some doll you can just feel it with the moment to lay eyes on them and pick them up for the first time.

Yes, both times. They are expensive items to keep if you're not playing with them. Also I do care about them, I want them to go to a good home with lots of attention. :) It's better than sitting boxed up away on my cuboard. Dolls need owners. :)

Hmm, no. It's not like they are toothbrushes. We invest a character in them. Same as authors or and actor. We make them 'become' :) Without us they would just be a piece of resin and string, with us they are alive.
      Us without them...well, we'd be ever so bored, right? ;)

4. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      I think you can bond with a doll, yes.
      I think it means that you connect on a personal level with your doll "children"!

Honestly? I think bonding is the right term!

My Pukifee Ante is seriously like my child. I love her to death! I have had a few dolls I didn't bond with, though, and I sold them.

Yes. For that kind of money, why not sell the doll and use the money to buy a doll you love more?

I don't think it's weird. I'm attached to my car, my home, my belongings. They're mine, and I love them!

5. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?

I bond with all my dolls, each in his or her own way.

knowing them and loving them, they arent just a pretty knick knack on my shelf

bonding works for me, i have no problem being "friends" with my dolls XD

every doll i have, i have bonded with but that is because i search for the perfect sculpt for each character before i purchase it, even if i find one that i think works, i'll look just a bit longer in case something better is out there.

i wish! i sold two tinies 4 years ago, i needed the money at the time, i had a strong bond wiht both of them and still seriously regret selling them. they are not the most common sculpt out there so even though i'm looking for their sculpts to buy them again, i am having no luck :( if i had sold those two because there was no bond, it would have been such an easier sale.

my kids can bond with blankets or certain stuffed animals, why cant i bond with my doll? i dont think its weird at all [though it can be annoying when we cant find my son's stuffed turtle for bed time...]

6. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      Yes, I bond very strongly to my dolls, and it comes instinctively.

It means loving them and knowing them and working hard at them, in terms of aesthetics and character. It also applies to having a "relationship" with them- I feel like they're a part of my world (a very important part) and we have an intimate knowledge of each other. I get on well with most of my dolls, and I even love the one who can't stand me! I also really, really miss them when I'm not with them, like I'm away from most of them now and I really do miss them a lot. I suppose it's a similar thing you might feel with your child, or a really good friend. At the same time, I'm perfectly happy to take the piss out of them and laugh at them. They're not sacred to me, or Mary Sues- god forbid!

No, bonding is fine, although it does make non-doll people look at you funny! I suppose you could explain that dolls have very high sentimental value, though that doesn't really cover their personalities, relationships, attitudes etc.

I've bonded with all of my dolls the second I opened the boxes- except once when I received a body that was so badly engineered I just couldn't believe what I was seeing (JDF, FYI). I couldn't look at it for a while, but now I've restrung it, modded it and am blushing it and have bonded with it perfectly.

I've never sold a doll, but I imagine I would if I couldn't bond with it. There's no point in having a doll if there's no bond, IMO, even if it is beautiful.

Not if you have an imagination ;)

7. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      Definitely think you can.

To me it means that the doll is dear to me and I love them.

I think the word works just great.

I did not bond with my second doll. She was working out perfectly as the character I intended, but her size made her not so enjoyable for me to photograph or simply carry around, which caused me to never fully appreciate her. My third one was "boom!Insta-bond" the second I saw her face in the bubblewrap I knew she was here to stay.

I did decide to sell my second doll. She just wasn't working out for me, and just having her sitting on a shelf made me a little sad, because that's not how I want to "enjoy" the hobby, so to speak.

No I don't think it is. Some people can easily get attached to inanimate objects, be it toys or cars etc... I think it's nice to be attached, or "bonded" to something ^^ just means you care about it.

8. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      Sure, but I don't think it's some kind of special doll-fandom exclusive feeling. We just have a special word for it.

As far as I'm concerned, "bonding" with the doll means "I made an expensive purchase and I feel happy with it". I don't think it's some kind of mystical, deep feeling - it's not so different from the feeling I have about my laptop. My dolls represent characters that I've spent time developing, but for me the emotional tie to the doll isn't necessarily different compared to how I feel about my other precious possessions.

It's as good a word as any. If you need to have a special term for it, then it fits okay.

When I got my first doll I thought he was pretty but I was a bit distracted with just how much I had paid for him. After I replaced his eyelashes, got him some new clothes and another wig I felt a lot happier with him. My second doll I couldn't feel quite happy with no matter what clothes or wigs I tried. My third doll I loved but felt a little distant from until he got a faceup.

I sold my second doll because I couldn't bond with him. I realised that he didn't represent his character as well as I had hoped and he didn't fit together well with my first doll. I bought the doll to be a specific character, and when it failed to fit into that role there was no reason to keep it around, especially when I needed the money.

No. Humans can get attached to all sorts of things and give them a meaning beyond a simple object. Think of how many people pass down jewellery or other heirlooms within a family, or how much some people love their cars. It's perfectly normal.

9. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      Yes. A lot of us had a favorite toy as a child. Either a teddy bear, or a doll, or maybe even a blanket we carried around with us. For me, it was a little stuffed dog, named 'Sweetheart'. She went everywhere with me.

It means forming an attachment. For example, I would feel /lost/ without my computer. Not just because it's a staple of my daily life. But because it was a gift, and something that I adore.

I find it is appropriate.

Yes.

I haven't not-bonded with a doll for many years. The first being one of the early Volks MSD Boys, but I still kept him. He just wasn't as important to me as his 'sister', Rashida.

No. We all do it, on some level. Men do it with their 'tech toys', or their cars. Women, being of a generally more sentimental nature, tend to do it with things such as dolls, books, blankets. It really varies. Anything we feel inspires emotion from us.

10. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      Of course. Luckily I've bonded with all the dolls I've ordered, with the exception of one.

Bonding is precisely what it means. It's a term for owners who are testing the waters with their new dolls and finding that their interest is kept. Likewise, when an owner doesn't bond with a doll, it means interest was lost. Some owners bond with their dolls incredible well and manage to keep them for years. It's the same with other objects; sometimes a piece of jewelry (say, a watch) isn't worth as much to you as something else is (a ring). So you end up wearing the ring more while the watch sits in a box. Not that you can bond with a ring, but that's what bonding is to me.

I think the term is fine. Since dolls are supposed to represent people, I have no trouble using the word to explain the relationship between me and my dolls. It makes the hobby feel much more intimate and sentimental, I think.

I have trouble bonding with dolls that don't have face ups. It's extremely difficult to bond with something that doesn't fit what you envisioned of it. I receive a free event head and because I had no use for it, bonding wasn't possible at all.

Yes, the free event head I received was given to a friend. I had no character to inject into it, so I had no attachments in particular. Lovely as the head was, it was completely empty to me.

I don't think so. As I mentioned earlier, some people will favor specific jewelry over overs. That may not be bonding necessarily, but the fundamental feeling is the same. It's similar to how some people have a favorite pen or a preferred style of notebook. It's not weird at all. Being part of a capitalist system, it's not unusual for me to sentimentally treat a piece of property that is rightfully mine.

11. I did bond with a doll, one that I didn't get. I think we bond with dolls when we need them most. I needed dolls at a time when I needed a silent supporter behind me while I got through a few uncomfortable months. But now that it's over, I'm not only just bonded with that doll anymore, I'm technically leaving the hobby.

Although I love the people here too much to actually leave, I'm planning on selling off my dolls in the future.

12. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      I think that is very possible, because this kind of dolls you can create them, so it will be easier, besides when you spent time with something, not necessarily alive it will be normal to create some kind of "bond" that is what I think.

Like Volks website said "Another Yourself", you put a part of your soul in the doll, I am not trying to be creepy or something like that, but I think that we can know a littre more about other person if we see the things in which they spent their time and little by little are changing towards their owner.

Well, that is a difficuld question for me, because English is not my mother language, I understand the meaning of the world, but maybe not at it full extent, but in my little knowledge of english, it will be a good word to use.

I am still searching for my first doll, so I can not answer this question yet, but I think that the "bond" thing is something that will be born with time....

I hope no. :(

I do not think that, at least for me, my azone dolls are very important for me, I like to spent time with them and play, I really think that something similar to a bond is growing, also I have a teddy bear which have the same age as me, I really have a bond with him.

13. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      I think you can.

I assumed it's whether or not you clicked with a doll. Since so much of this hobby is ordered through the mail, the in-person feeling doesn't always match the "yearning from afar" feeling, yeah?

I guess bonding sounds okay. I dunno. I don't really care. I tend to say like/dislike more than bond.

I like all my dolls more in person.

I have trouble liking Muniya sometimes, but I don't dislike her enough to sell her.

Not really. But I tend to get attached to anything I'm used to having with me.

14. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      yes people can bond with a doll,
      I even think that bonding with a doll is particularly easy since they are so "human"/lifelike.

To me "bonding" is more than deciding if you like or in the end don't like the doll you bought. bonding to me (might sound strange) is more of a feeling of caring for your doll.
      for example I like other inanimate object, like my room, my collection of books and DVD's but I am not "bonded" to those items. to me "bonding" is something I do with items that have some sense of being more than just a Things.

hmmmm I don't really know maybe connecting or feeling attached to once dolls or even sentimental value ..... but that might just make things more complicated.

I almost instantly bonded with all but one of my dolls.

I almost sold my second doll (my Iplehouse) because I wasn't bonding with her. the first two months after I got her she had to spend in her box since she arrived broken and I could not pick her up without her falling appart before the new part arrived. after that bonding was hard. I got it fixed in the end (never underestimate what difference the perfect face-up can make) and now she will not be leaving.

Nope, i think its a very Human thing to do. most humans get attached to items they have had for a long time. Sentimental value is almost kind of the same thing as having "bonded".
      as long as you are sad to see something fall and break you are somehow attached to that item.

(Ranting off sorry if I made no sense)

15. ..........

16. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?

Yes, i can bond with a doll thats why i have so many :)

The term bonding for me is an instant connection to your doll that can't be explained or even compared to bonding with another person

I think a better term that could be used is connection or love, although i do tend to use the term bonding often.

Well i only have one doll so as soon as i held him for the first time i hand a instant bond or connection to my doll because he is so special to me and means so much.

Nope not for me i find it easier to bond with inatimate objects than that to people

17. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?

I am currently bonding with my new boy who has yet to tell me his name.

The term "bonding" means to me that I have a sort of relationship with them. Like a child would to an older sister or caretaker.

I personally like the term.

Yes even ones I didn't like first of they started to grow on me the more time I spent with them.

I do not think so. I personally being an only child and not having many friends growing up have been used to bonding (in my sense of the world) with inanimate objects to keep myself from being lonely.

18. I have yet to receive my first doll and am afraid if I don't bond with her I'll become disheartened and give up on the hobby. The thing I have to remember is that there are many different definitions for "bonding" with a doll. Reading this thread has been very helpful for me.

19. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      Yes, but not different with every one.

Tha't he or she gets all the attention they deserve!

No, I think it's the right term! It's all about bonding for me or they will just lay in their box.

Yes, I am having this "problem"with a doll I wanted for a long time and now I don't do anything with her.
      I am sometimes impulsive with dolls. I wasn't with her but still she doesn't get any attention.

yes, I sold a doll ones because of that and I am thinking of selling the doll I mentioned before.

Who's to say what is weird or not. I don't find it weird!

20. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll? I have had a few dolls that I didn't bond with. I try changing the character and see if that helps out. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. If not, I wait a while and sell. If I miss the character, I might try changing the sculpt and see if that helps out any.

What does the term "bonding" in the doll world mean to you? I think the word "bonding" means do you like the character, do you take plenty of pictures of your doll, do you RP that character often and does it make you feel good to be around your doll and you like how the doll looks or how you portray him/her. I think it can have many meanings.

What do you think of the term? Is there a better word that could be used? Hmm, not really. I think it hits the nail on the head, I use the word myself.

Have you ever bonded, or not bonded with a doll once it arrived home? I have done both.

Has not bonding with a doll caused you to sell it? Yes, I have. I had a BBB Tony and he was cute but didn't pose well and I didn't rp him much so I thought he'd have a better home elsewhere. I have also sold a BBB An because his character seemed to become hard and mean and he didn't like anything. They seem to have their own personalities after a while. I sold my first Weylin because I met another doll owner online and they started their own family and I couldn't break them up. I had an Aod Yu Luo boy. I didn't really bond with him and I don't think I liked his sculpt too much when he got home. But I have bonded with several others.

Is it weird to be able to "bond" with an inanimate object? Not at all, these dolls seem to have stolen my heart. They are a part of you, but also something very different and I have always loved dolls.