1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Bonding. Can you, or can't you?

Oct 3, 2010

1. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      I don’t really see the point in bonding. A doll is a resin thing. It’s not a puppy and even if it was, I wouldn’t give a puppy away if I didn’t feel some deep connection to it. I think, for me, if I’m going to invest my money in a doll I’m going to keep it.
      I’m not trying to sound rude by saying this. I know it doesn’t work the same for all people, but this is just how I see things. I really don’t judge people for believing in bonding, I just don’t understand it and it doesn’t affect me.
      What does the term "bonding" in the doll world mean to you?
      I think it’s when people see if they have a connection with their doll. If they don’t they seem to sell it. I think it means different things to different people, but, honestly, it means very little to me.

What do you think of the term? Is there a better word that could be used?

It’s just as good of word as any. It’s a formed attachment to a hunk of resin… bonding sounds nicer.

Have you ever bonded, or not bonded with a doll once it arrived home?
      I don’t bond with dolls. This is not to say I don’t like my dolls or project characters onto my dolls, but I don’t wait to see if they fit, they fit because I want them to.

Is it weird to be able to "bond" with an inanimate object?

Yes and no. I understand having sentimental feelings for something, but like I said, for me, I don’t see the point in bonding with dolls. I know some people take it very seriously and good for them. It’s just not my thing!

I wish it didn't seem so much like it's an expectation that people bond with their dolls.

2. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      Yup, I can bond with a doll or several dolls at one time.

Ending up liking the doll so much that you don't ever want to sell it. Looking at a doll and feeling happy.

The term pretty much nails it imo.

I've had two floating heads which I couldn't bond with very much. I liked how they were sculpted but I couldn't bring myself to buy a body for them. Then I got another floating head and bought a body asap for it. So I figgured the other two heads had to go.

Maybe it's a little weird but people end up bonding also to their pets, cars, houses etc. so why not?

3. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?

I certainly can.

The same as it means to me in any other capacity, except in the doll world, I recognize it as a one-way process.

For me, there is absolutely no better word for it.

I bonded with Vince, my first doll, pretty much immediately. Bonding with Pete is more of an ongoing process, and Billy is between the two I guess. (I adore Pete and have no intentions of ever getting rid of him, he's just trickier)

Has not bonding with a doll caused you to sell it? Why?

Nope. Even when he's 'difficult to get along with', I do really love him. I worked and waited, and when I look at him, he's just utterly gorgeous, so even though it's not the same 'natural' bonding process I had with Vince, I'm committed to getting there.

Not for me! I've always had deep bonds with my toys... I was a little kid with a lot of imagination, VERY few human friends, and a much-read copy of The Velveteen Rabbit.

4. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll? I bond with my doll instantly. The moment I held him in my hands, I knew I couldn't let him go.

What does the term "bonding" in the doll world mean to you? For me it's a very special and deeply emotional attachment to a doll. It can either be for some memorable reason, like that doll being a "comfort blanket" in times of sadness, or it can be because of special meanings you give the doll- which would boil down to why you chose it. I think bonding refers to the attachment you have to the doll and how deeply you come to care for it.

What do you think of the term? Is there a better word that could be used? I think the term is just fine and appropriate for some people. Some people do not feel as strongly and may not think it is an accurate term.

Have you ever bonded, or not bonded with a doll once it arrived home? I did. When Philippe first arrived, I lifted him from the box and was so overwhelmed with love for him that I hugged him tightly- naked and all.

Has not bonding with a doll caused you to sell it? Why? I've never had this happen before.

Is it weird to be able to "bond" with an inanimate object? I don't think it is strange. People bond with inanimate objects all the time.

5. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      I realize some people aren't going to get this, and that it's probably semantic, but I think it's possible to bond "to" a doll. I don't think it's possible to bond "with" them, since that implies they can reciprocate your feelings about them which, of course, they can't. I feel a very strongly bonded to some of my dolls, and not so strongly bonded to others, but I think I'm capable of bonding to all of my current ones.
      To me, "bonding" means that I have an affection for my doll, that I can't imagine parting with them, and that I want to "interact" with them, make things for them, create stories for them, etc. A lot of this for me has to do with the doll's character. If I have a strong affinity with the particular character, I may feel more bonded to that particular doll.

I have no problem with the term "bonding". It's pretty descriptive, and I can't think of a better one.

n/a - I'm bonded to all my BJD.

No. I'm bonded to all my dolls to one degree or another. Not bonding has caused me to sell non-BJD dolls, though.

See my answer to the first question. And no, I don't think it's weird to be bonded to a doll.

6. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll? - I agree with SapphireStargazer in that it is more a case of bonding 'to' a doll than with it. Personally I feel that I am bonded to my two dolls but I am quite a sentimental person and I understand that for some people it is not possible to bond to an inanimate object or even something that is not another person.

What does the term "bonding" in the doll world mean to you? - bonding to me means having an emotional connection to something (or someone), the item is worth more to the person than it's monetary value and provides some sort of emotional or sentimental attachment or feeling for the owner.

What do you think of the term? Is there a better word that could be used? -bonded is fine for me, it's pretty descriptive and encompasses most of the other terms that could be used.

Have you ever bonded, or not bonded with a doll once it arrived home? - With both my dolls once I handled them a bit and got a feel for them and how I perceived their character and personality to be I felt connected to them, the more I interact with them the more bonded to them I feel. I wouldn't sell my dolls now.

Has not bonding with a doll caused you to sell it? Why? I don't think I would need to be bonded to a doll to enjoy them, if I were to buy a doll and not bond with it I would still keep it unless I hated it.

Is it weird to be able to "bond" with an inanimate object? - no people do it all the time, I still have my first car, I bought it to learn to drive but still haven't managed to 4 years later but I still have my car because I love it, it's a Nissan 100nx so not a new or expensive car but it's mine :)

7. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?

I currently own 3 dolls, I am only attached to one of them. I don't know why it is that the other two I can't seem to bond with, but I am incredibly close to the one.

Forming a strong connection and attachment to the doll.

I think bonding suits just fine.

When I received my first doll, I connected with him right away. The other two I just didn't, I don't know why that is though!

No because even though I don't hold much attachment to them, they were gifts so I don't want to sell them.

I think it's a beautiful thing.

8. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      Yeah, I guess I've "bonded" with the dolls I've kept. I've also had plenty I didn't bond with, and ended up selling. I figure its because I weigh the practicality of a purchase with an indecisive personality which has a weakness for pretty things. :P

I'm pretty sure when I analyze the connection I share with my dolls, it really comes back to my bond with the character they represent and not specifically the resin itself. I do find some sculpts which connect incredibly well to their characters and/or are so beautiful to the point I don't ever imagine myself wanting to sell them.

I think this is reliant on how one chooses to collect dolls. I collect dolls to fulfill the need for a physical rendition of my imaginary fictional characters. Because these characters feel (in a sense) real to me, I become very attached/bonded to them as a form of artistic expression. It's either very satisfying or a disappointment to feel this bond or lack there of with a doll I've chosen to be them.Essentially, I think the word suits how I feel.

Having sold/or made the definite decision to sell at least 18 heads and having plans to only keep 11... Yeah. I've had experience with not being able to bond with a doll.

If I sell a doll, it is for various reasons. Usually it is because I think a doll would represent one of my characters well, but then find out when they arrive that the doll lacks the right vibe, or looks totally different in person than in photos. Sometimes I find something better to replace one I once liked. Then there are those times I feel the need to weigh the practicality of a purchase. (Usually a spontaneous one, although one of my spontaneous purchases happened to be one of the best decisions I've made!) I may love the doll, but feel that its not necessary to make my character into a doll. I would be fine without them taking a doll-form. I've realized that there are many other things I'd like to buy, one of them being a house someday, and I don't really have a flourishing income. So if i don't feel the need to keep it, then I eventually sell it. Although it's kinda depressing to sell something I like.

As mentioned above, I think for me, it is more of the bond I have with the characters paired with my love for the doll's sculpt. Maybe it's strange to bond with the object, perhaps it's not. I wonder if other people who don't have characters to fulfill as dolls bond (have a strong connection) with the need to have that creative outlet. Essentially, making the dolls as valuable to them as they are to me. :)

9. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      I currently own four dolls, (And I have two on the way) but I've owned seven during my time in the hobby.
      Like many who collect BJDs, most of my resin purchases start with a character or a concept in mind; however, I'd have to say it goes deeper than just "I love this character, therefore I love this doll." None of my dolls today are the same as the character I based them on at the time of purchasing -- they're all their own version of that character now, right down to alternate histories. I like giving them the freedom to grow and to become part of the doll.

Doll collecting is different for everyone. For me, bonding with dolls goes back to when I was a child... I had a few toys that I grew very attached to, because even when I was teeny, I believed they had personalities and their own kind of life. I still miss these toys. I feel that this is what bonding is: when you see something no one else can see, a spark of life, a hint of personality, and you attach yourself to it.

I can't think of a different word for how we relate to our dolls.

Yes, to both accounts. Some dolls, it was an instantaneous bond: my Luts Bory was an instant connection. (it still is, even though he's turned a bit green with age. Or is it envy that I spend my time and money on the others in my collection? fufufu.) My CH Hani took years for me to bond with. I would have sold her in the first year, except I bought her secondhand and she was really old, and I couldn't imagine I'd get back what I paid for her. I went through a few superficial mods (all easy to reverse if needed) and had her as a boy at one point, but we weren't really connecting. Last year, however, it clicked! She's developed her own character and style, and I love her to pieces.
      Then, of course, there were dolls I either couldn't bond with or I couldn't get along with.

Yes, twice. One doll I found I did not get along with, though I loved his character. I sold him, but reshelled his character a few years later. (Now he's my favorite.)
      The other was a doll head. Nothing personal, but I was young in the hobby and didn't know what I liked yet. I found that I hated the extra work of finding a doll body that would match, and finally sold the head to someone who could make better use of it.

In my opinion, it depends on the object, the person, and the circumstances. I live by a set of personal spiritual beliefs and in that system, bonding with an inanimate object -- a doll, for example -- is a natural result of how we expel and perceive energy around us. To me, a doll is simply a container in which we pour certain aspects of ourselves for safe keeping.

Other Comments:
      Everyone collects differently. Some collect to express parts of who they are where they otherwise cannot; some collect because we want to bring characters to life; some collect because there is something unique and artistic when it comes to collecting BJDs. For each of us, bonding is a new process.
      I started collecting before I ever heard of "bonding with dolls" and it happened naturally, I didn't expect it. Free of the word, I think I was able to analyze the different ways my roommate and I connect with our resin families, why certain dolls must leave our nest and why some dolls end up staying long into their greening years. (Haha!) My roommate and I have done every kind of purchase, from secondhand to direct, from long waits to impossibly short ones, from thought out characters to impulse buys. (Side note: I believe wait times are an important factor in bonding with a doll.) Each doll has been a different experience, a different sort of bond.
      I think it's really just something we all feel on our own. Don't come to expect it as others have described it.

10. its just a fancy way of saying do you like your new doll or not, seeing one on a website or in pictures is a lot different to holding one in your hands.

my luts mia was instant, i could hold her forever, but my DOD tahlia is bit different...i have never bonded to her as much, i just dont feel a connection and that comes down to just overall i dont like her as much as my mia.

11. (sorry about the weird bolded/coloured layout but for some reason it won't let me unbold a lot of stuff, so to show a difference between the question and my answers I coloured the questions u_u It won't even let me unbold this.)
      Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?

I guess I can, but I don't think of bonding with a doll the same as bonding with a person. I guess in a lot of ways I'm the same as Mirrin. Most dolls I've bought I can just put the character I decided for them on them and it's fine, I invested the money in them and I'll keep them, however I have one doll and for some reason no matter what I do with him it doesn't feel right, although I didn't have a character ready for him when I bought him, so I suppose I consider it that I haven't 'bonded' with him.

A one way emotional attachment to the doll/character. Personally, I think if you have no trouble selling it then you aren't 'bonded'.

imho, it's a bit too touchy-feely. I guess just 'attachment'? Attachment can be one way, bonding seems to allude the relationship goes both ways.

I've always opened the box and liked the doll, if that's what you mean.

Nope. I've considered selling that male doll I mentioned before, but I haven't sold him or tried to. (Yet?)

I guess a little, if you mean bond in a literal way, I'm guessing when most people say they've bonded with their doll they just mean they really like that doll lol.

12. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      I think you can, but I think that's because each person has a different meaning behind the word "bonding," which makes it easier to say they can.

To me, it's to feel affection for the doll itself, and not necessarily the "character" a lot of people use in describing their dolls. It's a feeling of not wanting to sell the doll for a very long time, if ever, and wanting to touch it every so often. The doll is inspiring in some way, even if it only inspires positive emotions.

There may be a better term, but I haven't actively looked for one. The idea of feeling an emotional tie to the doll seems to fit though.

Idk if I ever bonded with my first doll. I acknowledge that I have him, but rarely look him in the face. The opening was really anticlimactic, whereas opening my Wu and pukipuki was exciting and I couldn't keep the grin off my face at all. My third big doll was also sort of anticlimactic, but like with the first, there was still a bit of wonderment and awe there which kept me from selling straight away.

I haven't sold a doll for this reason yet, but I'm considering it. After six years, my tastes have changed completely and I no longer feel any real strong attachment to my dolls. They represent a past me that I'm ready to shed and no longer meet my standards, but I wonder if I'll miss them once I know I can't pull them out when I want to (which is only maybe once or twice per year or so, but still).

No. Otherwise there wouldn't be people suffering for hoarding mentalities.

13. Bond -noun
      1. Something that binds, fastens, confines, or holds together.
      2. A close friendship that develops between adults, often as a result of intense experiences.

Heh. Well... with inanimate objects, I guess it's a one-sided bond! Maybe that's not possible under some definitions, but it's enough for an owner to "bind, fasten... hold together" with a doll. To me, it's more like the OT's second explanation of the term, basically being able to LIKE the doll, or LOVE it... not in a relationship between a couple way, but in a person liking an object way!

Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      I can easily bond with dolls and objects. It's nothing like loving a person... or even a pet... it's just a like/love of owning an object-- something you have bought and are very pleased with. Like a favorite outfit or car or whatever... Dolls are like having a favorite toy to play with, literally. Of course most people buy things they LIKE, but sometimes the like is very mild or they buy something they just need but don't otherwise care for... With doll, because they are not something you NEED, and also because they are a pretty big investment of time and money and concern, it's important that you like your doll, or even MORE than like! But it's not necessary. I think the bad thing is that the doll does not live up to expectations, that it is not "right", that it is a disappointment in some way... So "not bonding" is more crucial! You want to bond at least a little! Having a disappointing doll is not good. Might as well sell it and go on to a doll you bond with/like/love.

It means you like the doll enough to want to keep it and enjoy it.

Maybe, but bonding is descriptive of what it is. People understand what others are saying even if the term isn't explained to them. It works well enough, I think. It's better than a simple "like" or "love."

Even someone who just puts their dolls on a shelf to enjoy and never play with--or keeps them in a box, has to bond on some level... enough to keep the doll and not get rid of it, anyway! I definitely WANT my dolls. I want them and enjoy them and wish to keep them and care for them. But I know they are dolls and treat them as dolls.

I don't think I have NOT bonded. There are some dolls that are more favored! I can't help it--I do have favorites! But I like them all. I like them all enough that I don't want to sell them or toss them away or put them into some closet and never see them again...

Not bonding as much (I've never totally NOT bonded), has never caused me to sell a doll. But I can understand the reaction. Why NOT just sell it? Why keep such an expensive thing around if you don't enjoy it and someone else can enjoy it--and if you can make money to buy something you CAN enjoy? It makes SENSE to sell a doll you don't really want, or want less than something else!

Why should it be weird? I think it's good to care to some extent for your possessions! It's not good that you just throw stuff around without caring. It is good to be passionate about people and animals AND THINGS! People can adore a favorite book or a movie or a hobby. It is what motivates people to have fun and explore things... and to create things and often it can be job-related, so it is good for income and all that. It is good to "love" your job. That isn't a person. You can love a piece of artwork. You can love making art. I don't see a problem with any of this. "Bonding" does suggest a particular relationship--but it really depends upon semantics and how you define things--so it's really not important (heh--unless that sort of thing is something you LOVE and are passionate about!). :)

... gotta say, I don't usually use the bonding term much... "liking" a doll just goes with the territory for me... I guess it's a private thing with me... I just either am happy with my doll or am not... but I'm usually quite pleased. Never have to talk about not bonding or whatever! ...

14. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      Yes, and no. I consider bonding when I have a doll or item that I would not sell for any amount of money. I have a Volks Suiseiseki who I just adore. I love everything about here and I would not sell her unless I was forced to by circumstances out of my control. Now I have had other dolls I liked but saw another doll I would rather have so I sold the doll in order to buy the new one. I tend to go through a lot of dolls because I fall in love with their promo photo or owner photos and sometimes when I get the doll home their either look too different or I just do not like them in person like I did the photo of them online. I also tend to have their faceups done by my favorite artists and they can make me love a doll that I just find okay before the new face up.

To me bonding is not the same kind of bonding that I feel toward my children or pets. It is different and more of a extreme like or want more than I love this doll every ounce of my being. I think of it sort of like I love having dolls but I am not in love with my dolls like I am in love with my husband or children.

I think the term bonding is fine. I think saying, well this doll doesnt really do it for me or I really do not care for this doll much sounds too negative and would make a future buying think, "Well if they didnt like the doll, why would I?" And in all reality one person my love a doll and another may thing the doll is hideous, it is all a matter of personal taste.

I bought a doll one on impulse and it never works for me when I do that. I usually get really disappointed and end up selling the doll. I am one of those people who needs to see custom face up and different looks for a doll before I buy it otherwise I end up selling a doll. Other times I am just really broke and cannot afford a new doll so another doll ends up being sold in order to buy that doll. That is the hardest situation for me because I have to decide which doll I like the least, it usually ends up being a doll I bought on a whim.

I have sold so many that I just didnt love after they arrived. I originally had decided I was only going to have two BJD, a vampire couple but then I found out I prefer girl dolls over boys. I love everyones boy dolls but I never love my boy dolls so I have given up collecting boys for now.

The only time I find it odd is when people because sexually interested in the object. There is nothing wrong with loving a doll or car for that matter but being in love with something inanimate is odd to me.

15. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?

I am capable of bonding with dolls. I bond with some dolls more than others, but they are all special to me in their own way.

I think it means you've got a feeling of attachment to a doll. You feel better with your doll around. Depending on your relationship, you might think fondly of him or her while you're away. You can give your doll a hug, and your day gets just a little bit brighter. Sometimes a lot brighter!

I think calling it bonding is a wonderful way to put it! I can't think of a better word for it.

As much as I enjoy bonding with my girls, I find it difficult to feel bonded within the first minutes when I'm still removing her from her box. Box openings aren't that much of an emotional thing for me. However, I quickly begin the bonding process when I get her dressed up and ready for play and display.

My Dollfie Dream Dynamite Alna was perhaps the most difficult doll that I had bonding with in the beginning. However, after getting different clothes for her and playing with her a lot more, I grew to love her so much! :aheartbea It is mainly because of Alna that I have decided to never give up on a doll. I am sure that I can bond with any doll if I put the effort into her.

No! I briefly considered it with Alna, but I'll never consider it again.

No! Especially for many of us doll aficionados and aficionadas, we have invested so much of our time and so much of our love into our boys and girls. It is always painful for me to let go of somebody or something that I love.

16. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      It really depends once I get the doll in person, so far I can bond with my dolls.

For me bonding is when I actually have the urge to really pamper the doll, such as doing mods, faceups, buying wogs, eyes etc to customize. Also, the wanting to play with them and take photos.

I guess maybe there are better words, since others might feel that dolls are inanimate and "bonding" could come across as something weird or uncomfortable for them.

For my first doll I got to see him in person, which i had the instant bond and just wouldn't leave the shop until I got him in my hands. For my other doll, still working on it.

So far nothing of that sort, I can't bear the thought of selling my dolls away.

I guess it's more like an obsession or inspiration (for a better word?) for me, but initially I did not understand the bonding concept until i got my second doll. I didn't have the same strong feelings for him as my first. So I don't find it weird for people who are or are not able to "bond" with their dolls.

17. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      Definitely can. :)

To me it means being able to see my OC in the doll, see the characters I'm trying to shell in doll form "come alive" in their resin forms. (Not really "alive" of course, but ... you know what I mean, right?)

No idea ... I like the term, mainly because I see dolls from the storyteller's point of view, and any writer / comic artist / creative person making up OCs will tell you they've got a "bond" of some sort with the characters they created. So to me the term fits nicely.

Definitely bonded, even with a floating head. :) I spend an insane amount of time researching sculpts that fit my OCs, and the ones I've got home so far (one full doll, one floating head ... more to come!) fit perfectly. Seeing them "in the resin", painting their faces and dressing them felt like seeing my OC take physical form.

n/a ... but I guess it might, because if they won't fit my OCs, I've got no use for them ... they'd be better off somewhere else where they're more appreciated.

Not at all.
      I had a children's history book about the stone age as a kid, and there was a picture in there showing stone age kids playing with wooden "dolls". It got me thinking about the plastic dolls we have today, looking like miniature humans, and the pieces of whittled wood they (probably) had that played the same role in their lives as the "modern" dolls did in ours, and I came to realize that in the end it's not the object that matters, but our imagination. So technically the bond with the character is already there anyway, and the actual inanimate object acts as a focus.

18. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      Yes, you can bond with a doll (and I have).
      I think that "bonding" means that you get attached to the doll, can't think of any other way to describe it right now

there might be a better word that can be used for now I think "bonding" is good enough (at least for me).

I only have one BJD so no I haven't ever not bonded with a BJD when she/he came home.
      I did bond with her, right away ^^

I only have one doll and I bonded with her so I've never been in this situation.

not at all, I've "bonded" with other inanimate objects and don't think it's weird at all.

19. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?

I would not use the term bond because I see that as forming a friendship but I am fond of my doll.

I just don't see bonding as the right term because to me you have to be animate to share a bond with something. That is why I use the term fond instead when referring to my doll.

Yes. As I stated I prefer "fond".

No I have never bonded with a doll but I was very happy with Sarah when she arrived.

I only have Sarah. She was my first, my only and will be my last.

I do see that as weird because inanimate objects cannot share that bond with you and they cannot feel a bond to you.

20. Doll bonding. Can you or can't you bond with a doll?
      Yup. My doll is my OC, and who doesn't get attached to the characters that they create?

What does the term
      "bonding" in the doll world mean to you?
      To me it just means that you form a relationship with your doll (be it parental, friendly or from an artistic point of view)

I can't think of any other term that would be suitable.

I only have one doll, and I'm still in the process of bonding with him ^_^

N/A

No. People become attached to their clothes and houses, so why can't we get attached to our dolls?