1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Clothes and Accessories made from Fur and Leather

Nov 18, 2010

1. Hmm, well I don't wear real fur but I do wear leather. So, leather I'm totally fine with. Fur. . . I'm not quite sure, I certainly wouldn't put it on my dolls but it wouldn't really bother if others did; it's not like a person wearing a fur coat.

2. Would you be insulted or shocked to see a doll wearing clothes made from animal byproduct (furs and leathers and such)? No, I don't really care about what other people do with their dolls.

Does it make a difference if the byproducts came from animals we eat (cows, rabbits, pigs, sheep, etc.)?
      I'd have less of a problem with it, but the animals would have to be raised in a human condition. That's the main problem I have with fur farms and also wild-trapped animals are killed in an inhumane manner.[/B]

Would it make a difference if you bought the leather/fur from a crafts store (like Hobby Lobby or Michael's)?
      Not really, since the animals would be raised in the same conditions.

Would it make a difference if you bought the byproduct straight from the distributor, whom you knew to use all parts of the animal?
      It depends on how the animal is raised.

I'd use leather myself (even better if it's from animals raised in an organic fashion) and I've already ordered an outfit made partly out of leather for my Piper doll, but not fur.

One item I'd never use on a doll is snakeskin, the snakes are killed in an extremely inhumane manner, they fill them with water to inflate them in order to stretch the skin and then they skin them, all whilst the animal is still alive, the snake is then thrown on a pile of other snakes to die in a horrible fashion.

And also because I have 15 little slitherers of my own, I could get three basic Iplehouse EID's for the price I paid for this little guy

[​IMG]

3. That is a beautiful snake you have there Demonique. Type of boa? I've only had a cornsnake myself, but I love them. I do hate how they treat snakes amongst anything caught in the wild for furs/skins. But people believe snakes are evil, which is so untrue. I wish people would think about how they kill something, rather than why. I bet if some cannibalistic group went about killing people for their hides and basically skinning them alive to leave them to die, well then some country may step up and fight. But when it comes to animals, people just don't care. It's sad. One animal eats some human walking around it's territory destroying things, and a huge group comes together to kill it. People go out and hunt down a bear to mount it in their livingroom as a trophy, people admire it. Bah, humans..

4. ...I wish there was more accountability and knowledge available about these matters. I wish when I see a product I could know where it came from and how it got there, and what was in it...

I eat meat and see the use of leather, fur, etc, to be the same- it is virtually impossible for us to live without the death of other life, be it plants or animals... I suppose it is just the way things are.

But I wish that animal products were made with great respect for the life of the animal: If I was a cow, or a bird, or anything, and I was raised as food or for my skin, I would want whatever was going to consume me to make me comfortable while I was raised and to kill me painlessly so I do not suffer.

In this day it is so hard to know, though... My craft store did not tell me where or how they got the leather I made into a belt for Hireki, and I have no easy way of finding out, which is frustrating. Maybe all we get to know is 'made in China'. :|

If I got to choose, I would choose companies that made the most use of the animal, and treated it well during its life, but with the way products are made today with one part bought here and then imported to there and processed somewhere else and so on it's almost impossible to figure out which company is best for the animals. :(

5. Demonique: Caramel albino ball python? o.O Gorgeous little hisser whatever he is! :D

6. I use leather for making some of my doll cloths, and I only use real leather when I make shoes. I do not dress my dolls in real fur, however... not because I object, but because I have cats and that's just asking for trouble!

7. Lovely snake, BTW! How about non-skin snake skin? In other words, shed skin? I once found a whole shed kingsnake skin while hiking and if I could adhere it to fabric and make a swordbelt for my big boys I would.

8. Would you be insulted or shocked to see a doll wearing clothes made from animal byproduct (furs and leathers and such)? I try not to judge people on their beliefs, pastimes, ethical or moral codes of conduct. Since I live in a city in The US I think I would go insane and be incredibly bored if I thought everyone should do exactly what I do. But I do try to surround myself with like minded people. People that respect me and others enough to not be crass or hateful or bigoted about differing beliefs. That said, I know for a FACT that leather and fur are the same industry and that meat cattle are a seperate industry. Just as Dairy cattle aren't used for steak. They are so filled with steriods, hormones and antibiotics (from the rotting tumors from the drugs and harsh conditions) by the time they die they are only used for ground meat products and pet food. But I digress. Please do your research before stating that what you think is a fact. I will only ever use leather if I get it at a thrift store, and only to reuse/recycle it. All of my clothes/shoes/doll clothes/etc. are hand made out of recycled materials. And since no one is the wiser I'd say I do alright for myself. But Like I said if people want to eat cats or wear flamingos that is their choice and I respect that, but I also ask they respect me/my choices. I would never wear a fur or leather unless it was recycled, over 20 years old and being used so the animal didn't die in vain. Weird I know but that's me :)

Does it make a difference if the byproducts came from animals we eat (cows, rabbits, pigs, sheep, etc.)?
      Since leather/fur are not byproducts of the meat industry I find this question moot. Also I haven't eaten the carcass of an animal (or any other animal by product =dairy, eggs,etc.) For over 12 years so I don't think I'm included in the "we" statement here.

Would it make a difference if you bought the leather/fur from a crafts store (like Hobby Lobby or Michael's)?
      I don't understand this question. A difference to what? From what? I wouldn't buy new leather, fur or feathers, but that's just me.

Would it make a difference if you bought the byproduct straight from the distributor, whom you knew to use all parts of the animal?
      This too is a moot question. Leather and fur are not byproducts. My father was a professional hunter/fisherman when I was growing up (he competed in tournaments and was awarded large sums of money to kill exotic and local animals for sport.) My step-father was a butcher and a swine,goat and cattle rancher. I know even from a small operation and or hunter's perspective that these animals are either meat or hide. Not both.

9. Albino kahl boa (there are two types of albino boas, Pete Kahl boas and Bob Sharp boas) bred by Bob Clark. He's since outgrown that tank (it's an exo-terra and I wouldn't buy a new one ever again, the only wall of the tank that's not made of glass is the lid, the viv is super-heavy) and in a 5ft viv with a het albino (basically a normal-coloured boa with the albino gene) female

He might have little hissers of his own in a few months time (he's at least four foot long now)

As far as royal/ball pythons go I'd like to get a Bumblebee

10. Sorry, I really have to disagree on this point.

While my aunt is not a 'professional hunter/fisherman', she does hunt deer and rabbit to consume as food. When she kills said animals, she brings them to a tannery or something (I do not know exactly what - maybe a butcher), where they get skinned and chopped into meat. She receives money for every pelt, and the pelts are sent to a local tannery and from there I would assume the pelts are sold for some sort of use. I honestly don't think she'd sell hides to a tannery and the tannery just tosses out the raw hide.

11. i wont buy anything fur or leather. one.. its cruel and is encouraging animal slaughter and 2.. fur annoys me and leather smells bad ;P

12. I'm a big animal lover so I'm not too big on the fur and leather, but I'm not against it because the fur/leather used for clothing for the dolls isn't taken from the creature just for the small patch and they honor it by using the rest of it.

13. I'm quite fine with using leather and fur. My only reasons for not using it more is that it's damn hard to actually work with, and I'm not quite up to that level in my sewing yet - lol!

My best friend is actually learning how to clean and tan hides. So far she's done a few chipmunks and a fox, all of them roadkill or similar, and the results have been amazing. I hope someday I can make a chipmunk coat for one of my BJDs :)

14. Quoting this for the truth it contains.

I have hunted deer for sport and for food from the time I was able to pull a bowstring. I have to say, I never met anyone who didn't use the hide and the meat, even if they were hunting for the big trophy bucks. The hides were always preserved, either to have tanned for our use or to sell for someone elses, and what meat we couldn't use/didn't want, we sold to the local butcher.

A professional sport hunter may do this. A hobbyist or a food-hunter doesn't.

15. I have to say, growing up in a family of hunters, that was always the case with our deer and birds as well. The processors always put the feathers and the hides to use. They weren't discarded.... And, for what it's worth, the hides that come from my uncle's beef cattle also get sent off to a tannery when the animals are butchered. He's not a large-scale rancher by any means, and his market is still fairly small (You just don't see a lot of free range, organic angus at the corner market-), but not wasting any of the useful parts of an animal is a pretty big deal in that particular sub-set of the farming culture.

Anyway, doll things made from fur or leather don't bother me any more than fur or leather items made for humans. As long as you're careful about picking your sources, I don't see why you should have to suffer any undue angst over it. If you're repurposing vintage fur or scraps from old leather coats and such, so much the better. Reusing that material is a lot more ethical to my eye than simply throwing it out.

16. I keep my dolls morals the same as mine, I wouldn't buy anything with leather or fur.

17. Why do you think fake fur is hypocritical? I think this is the first time I've seen someone who's for fur and against fake fur so I'm actually curious.

Would you be insulted or shocked to see a doll wearing clothes made from animal byproduct (furs and leathers and such)?
      No, I would not be insulted or shocked. Well, perhaps unless it's from an animal who's been treated with cruelty and the buyer bought it knowing that. I know someone will ask "what about those that never checked?", I think the answer I can give is that there are some things you can't. Someone earlier mentioned not being able to find out.

Not really because I view all the animals, whether endangered or not to be the same. I've always found it irritating when say for example someone from North American condemns eating dogs or whatever, while eating beef where that would be condemned in another country, but that's a whole other story.

Not really since it's highly likely that the animals where those leather and fur came from were treated the same as those sold in non-craft stores.

Or is it all the same to you?

Perhaps, depending on how it's treated and such.

18. Leather I agree with if it's from animals that are grown for more than just the leather. Fur I agree with only if it's vintage or from pest species (such as rabbits and possums in New Zealand).

19. Im not wniny , but I feel the same way. If you are against fur but choose fake then it just feels wrong to me. That someone likes to show off the luxery and high class (that usually is asosiated with fur), but at the same time is against it.

Would you be insulted or shocked to see a doll wearing clothes made from animal byproduct (furs and leathers and such)?
      No, Im for natural products. Im more aginst synthetic products that simply don't go away (a real piece of fur/leather if tossed away will become soil after a few years, a fake/syntetic/plastic can use more then 200+ years)
      No, because even fur animals (fox) can be used for more then it's skin (soap for example)
      No, but I do want a certification of origin no matter where I buy my fur/leather. Not all country's have an good animal system, and I prefer to know how the animal was treated when it was alive.

I would prefer that, as I said Id like to know how the animals are treated.

20. Would you be insulted or shocked to see a doll wearing clothes made from animal byproduct (furs and leathers and such)?
      No, I am pretty much OK with animal byproduct. The only thing I cannot take is real fur attach to skin kind. Those making process is crule and I do not want thsoe things on me or my dolls.
      Not really, as long as the animal did not suffer much in the process then I am OK with it.
      I think it is the same. It is just one cannot see all the work behind it and has less guilt I think.
      Well, I think this one would be hard for me, because I do not know any direct distributor.
      I think I have to know how they work before buying any product. at least, I do not want to buy animal product if they suffer a lot through out process.