1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Collection worth

Jun 1, 2018

1. Nope, not going there!
      Last time I counted I was getting toward 50 bjds. Life circumstances have changed and the majority of my collection is in storage, but I don't want to sell any.
      At some stage I will be able to get them out of storage and rediscover my pretties!

2. Around 3000 $. That is for 6 full MSD, and 2 floating heads. OMG I did t realise it was that much and this is just my first year in the hobby. But if I think about it, it really isnt that much if I take into consideration how muc happyness they have brought me I am so glad I found this hobby.

3. we have so many rich people here.

4. It's not about being rich but having consistent access to disposable income and making choices to afford the dolls you want. I don't go to the salon, I don't buy new clothes/shoes/accessories unless necessary, I don't go on fancy vacations, I eat at home instead of eating out, and I economize, etc. That said, I have a large doll collection aside from my BJD's and have been collecting primarily BJD's for the last 15 years. I have been collecting dolls my whole life and I'm in my mid-40's. I also had to do an analysis for insurance purposes. Base replacement value is $20K for only BJD's, not any of my other collections.

5. I'm going to estimate and say around $12,000 for the dolls alone without the clothes/accessories over the course of 8 years. I have definitely slowed down my BJD purchases, and don't plan on adding any others for the time being.

Seconding @Birju_Lachi's post :thumbup Though wealth is subjective, I think most BJD owners would agree they are not rich; instead it takes dedication, patience, and persistence to afford things you really love. Just to put it into perspective, I could buy a new Soom Super Gem complete fullset every month for the cost my one coworker and her husband are paying just in daycare expenses for their two kids. By the end of this year, they will have spent as much if not more on daycare expenses alone as I have in 8 years in the BJD hobby. You don't have to be rich to raise two children, or to own many BJDs, or to raise children and have BJDs. It just means spending less on other things that aren't a priority, and that sometimes means making sacrifices to make it happen. It means budgeting and careful planning. Many of us take pride in owning our BJDs because they are a luxury item that was earned through our own hard work :)

6. I got all my girls second-hand.
      only have 5 SDs, 1 MSD and 1 YoSD.
      I guess total cost of them nekkid is roughly about USD1,800?

the clothes and other stuffs though, I can't remember their costs.

7. Just the dolls without wigs, eyes, face-up or shipping.... $15,102 *winces*. I have 50 of these wallet vampires right now and have been in the hobby for almost 10 years. Add in stuff like eyes and wigs and face-ups (shipping, too!) and that number jumps significantly. Clothes... that doesn't really add much to the final tally as I make about 95% of their clothes and most of the time I do it using fabric from clothes of mine that no longer fit, fabric scraps I've gotten from my mom or fabric I've sourced from the Dollar Store or 2nd hand store. That's still a heck of a lot of money.

I'm not rich. Not even close. But I don't buy make-up, I rarely eat out, I don't go to clubs/bars, I don't own a vehicle, I only buy clothes/shoes when I'm forced to do it out of pure necessity and even then its only the bare minimum that I need, I'll go see a movie maybe once a year, trips anywhere are even more rare, my kid is grown with kids of his own. I live a pretty spend-free life and when I do want a doll, I aggressively save for it, cutting back on even the small treats to myself like buying my lunch instead of packing it. But I'm cool with that in order to feed my resin addiction.

8. If I consider the current market value of my dolls, then I'm over the 20k for sure just for the nude dolls :sweat

9. Currently between my four, it's about 2000 but I'm planning several big purchases in the next couple weeks that'll send it closer to 3000

10. I've put in about $6.000 into this hobby, and that's including the one I've currently got on layaway. Not too bad for a hobby of over 12 years.

As for how much they'll sell today: To be honest, I've no idea, because although they are limiteds, all of them are old-school sculpts. I doubt that, aside from my SwD Lucas, they will sell for much. So, I think I'd better keep them ;).

Except for the kid, this is me.

#30 Silk, Jun 22, 2018
      Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    11. Oh gosh, im scared to even add it up. Being I started only a month and a half ago. Im at around 2100+ :o
      Yep, I went way overboard. I think I need help at this point. lol

12. We go by replacement value of each doll and their ‘stuff’, not ‘blank cost’. Especially in the case of a full set, there’s often no original value of a blank doll. Sometimes for those and also for discontinued dolls, current market value is higher than the new price was so ‘replacement value’ needs to reflects that. That’s how I was advised to list them for insurance purposes...and to keep it updated. Like @Brightfires we have some, (just a few) ...that would be kind of difficult to replace for one reason or other but I checked sold prices of the ones I could find over the years and very similar dolls too and came to a dollar value.
      Not to put a damper on a discussion but I will say that we were also advised to not post the values/totals in very public places (this goes for all insurable valuables you keep at home) because it’s pretty easy in many cases for thieves to put two and two together. I think we sometimes forget how much of DoA is actually accessible to the general public with no account or log-in required.

Also what @Skolopendrokot says is what I find to be the real truth in soooo many cases, base doll price is often just the beginning of the wallet-wringing journey into the delirium of the doll world, and I think if many people were asked, they would reply that it’s pretty common to spend between 1-2x (or more) the price of the base doll to realize the finished product.