1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll faces

May 27, 2018

1. There is a few depending on your budget and what you like overall. Most of the ones I know about have smaller smiles or the "model" look unless they're anime inspired. My current grail doll is Popovy Peewit or Landy but they're out of my price range right now. Unfortunately, there isn't too much on the market.

SoulDoll's Junia-Animal is beautiful in my opinion but sold out :( She is definitely a fav for me. (Side note: a lot of fantasy versions of the normal sculpts have open mouths).

For more model like looks. Popovy's Landy, Peewit, Magpie, and Cuckoo all show teeth.

A little bit of teeth can be seen in Iplehouse Y.I.D Bliss (not a big fan but I think that's because they painted her teeth so small) or S.I.D Stella (better)

60 cm Nozomi at DollLeaves is a male with a small smile-like smirk

If you're more into the anime look, 2D has some great options. In the 42 cm category there is Helios, Pahkar, Puff, and Prapiroon with open mouths that are pretty expressive. In the 28cm section there is Cookies, Grodan, and Mou Mou.

2. I like realistic sculpts, but I still like to be able to see that they're dolls.

I like any really unique featured dolls, especially with combinations of features from different types of people - like full lips and noses, but smaller more almond eyes.

I especially like doll sculpts that can be made to look super realistic but also can look very doll-like/sweet.

3. Cartoony all the way. I can't stand realistic sculpts- if I get a face and it's too realistic, I'll find a way to cartoonify it with mods or a faceup.

I personally look for a sculpt that has a "star" element- at least one facial feature should be extraordinary, the star of the face show. So I'm talking DZ Benjamin's nose, Carter's teeth. Something about the face has to jump out at me. I also tend to prefer if it's a little off, sometimes even scary like Doll Chateau Irma and her bizarre mouth.

That's not to say I can't work with a normal, star-less face. Doll Leaves Vivian is the epitome of a blank slate sort of face in my opinion, but she ended up being one of my favorite faces for her versatility.

I guess what I'm saying is a "normal" face can be fine if it falls into my lap, but I'm only going to save up and wait and suffer for the stars.

4. I am a traditionally trained artist and I always loved classical art the best, even as a child. However, I also grew up loving anime and Japanese-video games and still do!
      So, I really like a wide variety of doll faces. I do own a few more realistic head sculpts than anime-ish ones, but I would own more if there were more varieties in true 1:6 scale.
      I think in general, not just anime-ish, I would own more dolls if there were more true-to-scale (smaller) sizes. I do like stylized-aesthetics, but there's just not enough realism when it comes to
      bodies in most doll hobbies. I prefer more realistically proportioned bodies, even when the faces are not as realistic, so I rather just not get more dolls if I don't like the proportions
      as a whole. There are a lot of faces I find appealing, but I just don't purchase any more head sculpts, because I know they won't look good on any available bodies. I have a lot of floating heads
      right now, but I never intended to get bodies for them so it's fine that way. However, if I was to add a new doll, I would have to like the body as well, and I just don't like any right now. I do like looking
      at all the faces though, there's a lot of interesting sculpts out there I enjoy looking at from far away.

5. There are 2 types of faces I like: The snarky, young ones where they look like they smoke cigarettes during school and the soft, mature faces on most female SDs. Those are my top two.

6. I love realistic men, both the super manly looking ones and the more effeminate, androgynous ones. For anything smaller than an SD though, I prefer anthros or mature minis because anything that looks like a child creeps me out far too much (though there are exceptions, rare though they may be). I'm not really into females dolls either, but I have found the odd one or two that I do like. These too, are quite realistic.

7. Style-wise, I like either face sculpts that are really realistic or can be made to look realistic (like Dollshe Lewis or Dollzone Raymond), somewhat stylized semi-realistic sculpts (Merry Doll Round, Little Rebel Ethan and Kamu and their other dolls if they were modded to have less wide lips), or straight-up cutesy traditionally doll-like nonsense (DC Ada, recent Volks sculpts, Dollfie Dreams, and Bluefairies).
      Feature-wise, I like high cheekbones, large but flat lips, a haughty-looking eye/brow area, small eyes, and a general vibe of either 'cute' or 'moderately bitchy'.

I really don't like the in-between area, with stylization and realism at the same time - like realistic lips on a doll with exaggeratedly big eyes, or really wide lips on a moderately realistic doll (cough Little Rebel cough) - or straight-up extreme stylization (like DDDys and those dolls with hips four times the width of their waists).

8. I vastly prefer dolls with really interesting features that kind of jump out at you. I struggle a lot with recognizing faces, and for me a lot of doll faces tend to blur together because a lot of dolls are doe eyed, with tiny noses and pouty lips, and it's really nice to have a feature or two I can recognize and pinpoint as a particular doll. I really like DollZone dolls because they tend to have more distinct features, like really pointy noises or unusually shaped lips and eyes. I'm also crazy fond of Little Rebel dolls, because I think the details and their features are gorgeous.

I guess as far as realism goes, my preferences kind of jump all over the place. As long as the face is interesting, I don't care if it looks real or cartoony.

9. I love the more cutesy dolls that look a bit child-like, even when they are SDs. I collected American Girls and antique porcelain dolls before getting into the hobby so I suppose that's just my doll aesthetic.

10. I don't really have a preference, honestly. I like everything from extremely stylized faces to realistic ones and anything in-between. As long as a sculpt suits character I want to shell, I don't care if it 'fits in' with my current collection.

11. I like realistic faces, but up to a point---I don't want them to look too much like real people, so I like it if a detail or two is slightly exaggerated to make them definite 'dolls' and not mini-humans. Usually it's the contrast of size between doll eyes vs. human eye proportions on a face that cinch it for me.

12. Realistic ones because your liking towards them would last longer.

13. I like various faces. It could be a bit mischievous, deep in thought, slightly intense with disdain or slightly smiling in a very content manner. When the eyes are too large I feel they become too much like a cartoon character. I'd lean more to the realistic side with a slight, slight elvish look.

14. I love realistic looking dolls. Maybe a little anime. I don't like scary faces, and I don't like childlike faces. And faces with smile too. Shortly speaking, I love my Rhein!:)

15. My favorite dolls are ones that don't have a standard face, but more with defining features. I love Irrealdoll, Merrydollround and Atelier Momoni, so maye it's more like the European style BJD? I also like tiny eyes.

16. I like semi-realistic dolls with slightly exaggerated features. I don't mind them on the more cartoony side to an extent. It's just that the ultra realistic ones kind of creep me out a little. I like them in pictures but I wouldn't want to have one in my house.

17. @Emily460e hello. anime faces are awesome. :) personally, I prefer the face kinda baby-ish. Beautiful with big eyes.

So far my preferred brand with the face I like are the following:

Fairyland
      Angell studio
      Volks dollfie
      Luts
      Souldoll
      implehouse
      Legend doll

..but which brand do you think fits best for mine? I am a newbie and still deciding which will be my very first BJD :)
      Looking forward to your kind advise.

18. I prefer smiling faces, I have my dolls in my room and I want them to transmit me their good mood when I wake up in the morning.

19. I mostly enjoy scary types, some more realistic ones as long as they're of a certain stylized style (like popovy) and the ones I don't really consider "realistic" but look generally like normal people with certain features (like eys for example) out of proportion. I really dislike anime style bjd and will never own one.

20. I am also a newbie so I can’t give you the best advice but, I think fairyland is the best. you should also look at delia from myou doll, she Fits the kinda doll you are looking for. I’m suggesting Delia because I order my first doll from myou doll, I really don’t know any other doll companys

#40 Emily460e, Jun 19, 2018
      Last edited: Jun 19, 2018