1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll faces

May 27, 2018

1. As far as realism, I like almost anything except anime-style faces like on Smart dolls. Pretty much anything between Doll Chateau and Fifth Motif's Venitu sculpt are things I personally like as far as proportion.

But something that really draws me in are sleepy eyes. Luts Bliss sculpt, and most of Luts' romance sculpts are good examples. I just love sleepy eyes so much :loveI find it so cute and sweet, especially on boys.

2. I like mine to be in the middle of it's too real than it's a bit creepier to me but if they look like final fantasy characters I approve lol.

3. I love faces that look like they belong in a Disney feature film. Cute and expressive. They aren’t quite anime, but not realistic either.

I do admire anime and realistic dolls a lot. They just don’t make me feel spendy enough.

4. I like my dolls to have semi-stylistic faces, like the slightly anime look of old school CP Luts, Volks and Peakswoods. They convey more of a fantasy world to me, without being too serious (I have enough reality in my life, thank you very much!) I once fell in love with a doll that was more realistic than this, and while she had the nicest body I’d ever owned and was in a fantasy color I adored, I knew within ten minutes of her arrival that she just wouldn’t work for me. That taught me to steer clear of anything with super realistic features and small eyes!

#64 PoeticSoul, Apr 21, 2020
      Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    5. Aww me too :D I love sleepyheads! I currently own about 6 of sleeping or dreaming versions, which makes up the majority of my crew :)

Aside from that, I cannot decide between v. unrealistic such as my bubble headed VS Nanas or the more realistic ones. I don't like, however the ultra realistic ones... Would creep me out. I only admire the owner pics ;)

6. I don't know. I was wondering what others liked. Sometimes I like an idealized beauty type of face that seems almost too perfect and sometimes I like a realistic face, but not too realistic. Then I switch to liking fantasty looking sculpts like really exaggerated features. I don't really like anime style bjds. My preference for dolls keep changing, so I might like anime style bjds later on or dolls that look a little scary. When I first got into bjds I only wanted human colored skin dolls, but then a few months later I switched to wanting fantasty skin colors such as blues, grays, etc. What I like changes often.

Then there are times I want dolls based on looking as close to a specific celebrity and I think that's all I want to collect. Then I lose interest and buy something that is pretty and catches my eye, but if I happen to find a sculpt that looks similar to a celebrity like maybe bts or some Korean actor I will buy it.

I thought I didn't like sleeping heads, but I end up buying sleeping heads based on the promotional photos. I guess I like whatever catches my eye and makes me think it is pretty. I like how there are tons of different bjds and I don't get bored.

Then I tell myself I hate elven looking bjds, but I end up buying a few because it looked better than I thought. Now I really like elven bjds.

I told myself when I began I would never buy blank heads or basic dolls without an option of clothing, face ups, and etc because I didn't want to get too overwhelmed with having to send them out for commission. Soon afterwards I bought several basic dolls and blank heads because the face sculpts were so beautiful. I didn't want to at first buy blank heads because I didn't want to spend a lot on commission, but so many of the face sculpts I liked didn't have a face up option and sometimes I wanted more detailed than the default face up option if there was an option for face up. I haven't sent any dolls out for commission.

I hope I can soon. I have only one doll head from all the blank heads I bought with me. The rest I'm waiting for.

There are so many amazing face up artists that it's hard to choose which one I want for my doll head.

#66 Forever We Are Young, Apr 9, 2022
      Last edited: Apr 9, 2022

7. Your dolls are all beautiful. I like a variety of dolls as well.

I like Peakswoods and fantasy dolls, but for me I found I am more drawn to smaller eyes then overly large eyes. I like eyes that are sharp and look like daggers for males. For females, I like small to medium eyes that looks doe like, but not too round more of an almond shaped eye.

There are exceptions to what I prefer. I sometimes get dolls that seem completely opposite of what I like because something drew me to that doll. I like most all dolls.

If the eye is way too large and anime like I know I might regret purchasing the doll. I haven't so far bought a doll with extremely large eyes more leaning on slightly large eyes.

8. My tastes have certainly changed since 2008 when I was a high school kid, but I think there's an undercurrent that has stayed true for most of my doll collecting days. I like doll faces that are expressive, or can be made expressive. Like, some emotion going on in the sculpt itself - a pout, a smirk, a moment of thoughtfulness... So many dolls just look like... dolls to me. Smooth faces with nothing going on behind the big eyes. I don't really like that. I'm also not overly-fond of ones frozen in too much expression though. They look so cool in photos but unless they're like, an alternate expression face, having a doll on your shelf that's perpetually ^___^ gets old really quickly.

For the aesthetics themselves, I like the extremes, I think. I love the huge-eyed cartoony faced dolls (not opposed to having an anime one, but I find myself not quite liking most of their proportions), and I love realistic faces. For the realistic ones, I love masculine faces with more gentle/vulnerable expressions, and feminine faces with tough/serious expressions.

9. I'm drawn towards cute expressive faces like Unoa or Charm Doll, but I also like the type of creepy from Dream Valley and Miracle Doll! More subtly "off"... like they might look normal with my glasses off. Or if you squint. :lol:
      I don't really enjoy baby-faced young dolls though - you know, pouted lips, chubby cheeks, button nose - I prefer the tween or teenaged look. It's easier for me to imagine them at any age I want that way!
      I haven't found any adult dolls I connect with yet, but I prefer thin-faced masculine dolls over the ones with movie star jawlines. Femme faces for me I'd prefer interesting features like a strong nose or smirking lips. Expressions are always key! I like ones that look kind, or mystified, or sometimes a little grumpy! hehe:3nodding:

10. Realistic, sultry, somber, contemplative, mature. On the less common part of the spectrum, I suppose.

11. I'm the same. I don't care for what my friend calls "dolly faces". I like realistic faces, though most of mine are not the really mature looking sculpts. They look more like teenagers to me.

12. I love the old school classic look of Volks and CP sculpts. I want my dolls to look like dolls, not real people. It adds a bit of fantasy and difference to my real life since I already have to look at a classroom of students’ faces all day. :)

13. I noticed that what draws me in the most is the mouth shape, I like sad pouty mouths. I bought a smiley open mouth doll once and it didn't work out, the smile on my Brownie doesn't bother me though. Basically most times I feel drawn to a doll I simultaneosly also feel saddened so I develop the need to bring it home...

14. I like dolls with really cute, big doe-eyed stylized faces. Not anime, but not too realistic either.

15. Realistic faces are my favorite now, but I like cute and stylized as well-- I'm less interested in the full anime faces, on a doll, though I don't dislike them. I have little figures that have that kind of face, I just prefer something a little closer to realistic in a doll. Never say never, I guess, I have admired what other people do with an anime-styled doll, it's just not where my focus is.

I guess it's harder to find faces I don't like-- there are some that definitely aren't for me, but so many more that I love.

16. Not sure I even know really. I like most of Fairyland's stuff, except for the Pukipuki Ani face... but that might be because it's painted eyes? I don't typically go for the really realistic faces on BJD's either. There are a lot of Anthro dolls I really adore also... Dunno if that really answers it. I've mostly just gotten dolls that appeal to me and never really given much thought to if I had a type or whatnot. Good thread though; provoked a lot consideration.

17. Anime, all the way. I've tried realistic/semi-anime, and I just didn't like her. My anime girls are close to my heart, though. :love

18. I'm in the more realistic crowd myself in regards to the types of faces I like. :3nodding:

In general I much prefer more mature, longer, narrower eyed, defined cheekbones types of faces. I also like unique quirks—wide/long/anything but petite button noses, smirk/frown/exaggerated mouth, gruff masculine/tough feminine, squinty eyes, mischievous expressions, furrowed brow, dimples, etc. I tend to mainly pick up sculpts for OCs or preexisting characters (some of whom sometimes fall outside my usual facial aesthetic), but faces falling into the above will always catch my eye—even if I don't have any (current) plans to get them.:kitty2

As for what just won't work for me—my childhood distaste for baby dolls veers me away from child-like faces, and my (former phobia) discomfort with being stared at has turned me off the more wide-eyed, stylistic/anime faces. The lack of detail in anime faces I find especially unsettling for some reason...:shudder

19. I’ve always really admired the photography of the hyper realistic looking doll faces, but for my own collection I think I prefer the more cute/stylized faces. Somewhere in between anime and hyper real if that makes sense? There’s just something kind of sweet about them that I really enjoy.

20. My dolls are mostly realistic or semi-realistic, but it depends. If i like them and get them, they can stay.