1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Faux Pas

Nov 27, 2004

1. I'll admit - I bought Zen because I could afford him. :oops: But I also didn't look at the more expensive ones, knowing Mom'd never let me get one if it were more than $300.
      ... but in the end, Zen was my favorite of all the boys.

2. You love him, that's what matters! The problem was if you owned a doll you didn't like...

3. Me too, there's a limit to it.. or atleast definitely should be. Sure I kid around and say that my dolls said or did something etc, but a couple of times I've thought some people go too far with it. Or so it has seemed. It didn't feel funny anymore..

As for the topic, I heartfully agree with everyone on the cheap doll thing! It annoys me to no end that people are just looking for a doll, any doll. Then again, I'm not crazy about the fact that people keep referring to DOD as the best place for beginners. Moneywise I guess it is, but people also might really prefer DOD dolls and it's not their fault the company doesn't charge as much as others. I know I would've saved as much as needed for my first chosen favorite, which happened to be Too.. and oh boy did I do some research, too, stared at all the dolls @.@ I guess that's why I can't remember any serious noob things. I read all the possible info needed before I bought my first one, didn't ask anyone either. I doubted for so long that I had the time the lurk on the mailing list + read the (excellent!) SD FAQ for a dozen of times ^^;;

4. I AWAYS recommend DOD to noobs!!! 'cause it is my favorite brand. I think they have the best dolls and have the best prices. So... I tell them o.o

5. OK- I fess up- when I saw these super dollfies for sale- I'd read descriptions "they are huge- almost 2 feet tall" but I'd actually envision a doll 3 ft. tall, which seemed right for their prices! When I finally saw their photos in the arms of their owners I was shocked at how small they were! :o And then to make matters worse, the first ones I wanted were those Secret Doll Baby Fairies who could almost get lost in a bowl of cereal but cost a "small fortune"! Well, I just bought my first resin girl, the lovely limited CeBee, and I still want those little treasures Yogi and Ren! :love

6. I'm still a total noob to everything, so I'm not sure what my WORST mistake is... yet. ^^;; It would probably be researching. Although that IS a good thing, usually, it's making my wish list grow and grow XD;. Although, I always get a bunch of the dolls mixed up. When people want a doll JUST because it's cheap, and for no other reason, it reeeeally bothers me.

And I also have a tendency to word things way incorrectly, it makes people worry about me :/. Like, I'll say that Shade "said this or that" to me, and that I have "conversations" with him; really all I mean when I say something like that is I'm picturing what our conversations would be like if he were real. He's from a story I've thought up, so naturally he's a part of me, and yeah. *ducks from the "being too into it" thing* XD;;

7. Meh~ personify their cars and say THEY have personalities and preferences! Why not the dolls which are more human? :<

8. My problem is I use to (still kinda do) get Shiwoo & Chiwoo mixed up. I think its their names that throw me off. X3

9. For me the worst is pronunciation. I can write the words out but haven't the foggiest notion how to pronounce 90% of them.
      Sadly, being an Anglo, the Anglo names aren't a problem, but the non-anglo names... :oops:

And I want to know how they're pronounced because I really don't want to be mis-pronouncing them (touchy thing for me as I really hate that). I seem to spend most of my time not speaking the dolls names because I don't know what they are. Don't even know the correct way to pronounce my own doll's name (Shiwoo, also seen it written Shiu, which to me look like two entirely different names).

Hell, I don't even know how to pronounce Luts... is it like 'loots' or rhyme with 'putts' or something entirely different? :?

So confused... *_*

I'm not great with doll faces either. I can recognise something enough to know the company it comes from (most of the time), but the faces can look so different with a different makeup or sometimes even just a wig that I get completely confused. :|

Loki's Mom
      <who *really* needs to go to bed...>

10. My n00bism was, I'll fully admit, getting the Too & Bee-A set with a friend because they were cheap. Fortunately, I was all ready in love with DoD's style, and by the time Kuro got here, he was the most beautiful doll in the world to me. <3
      But it really saddens me the amount of those pair I've seen up for sale or auction, and I wonder how many people got them just because they were "a good deal". ;_;

I've never had any problems with the Japanese names (yay for background in other japanese fandoms!) but I draw a blank when it comes to Korean. ^^; Just say it phonetically, I figure if I ever talk to someone who actually knows it, they'll correct me, and then I'll know. *laughs*

11. For the longest time I thought Unoa and Unoss were both created by the same person. They look very similar to me (despite the size difference), as they both have very curvy figures and sweet-looking faces. Their sculpts seem very similar to me, although I've never seen either in person before.

Of course when I was a newbie I did the whole "I love them! $800 WHAT? Where can I get a cheap one???" :oops: And then I did the whole "fell in love with limited impossible to find doll" thing that a lot of newbies do, because you just don't know enough about the dolls to know which are limited until someone gives you the bad news. I fell in love with Chris and Lucas (the first versions), and I'm still in love with them which is why I'm getting a F-16. :daisy

12. Gah I worded it wrong again, sorry >_<. Honestly the dolls are personifications of chars that I created specifically for the dolls. So they do have a story that they're part of, but that story would have never existed had it not been for the dolls, if that makes sense. >___<

13. Pronunciation can be a problem (and me being Asian doesn't help... well, I was born in the US and only speak English, which may account for that!).

I keep wanting to pronounce Lishe-- "Lish".

14. Errr, I pronounce it "Leesh", like a dog's leash.
      So how does one pronouce it? Does one pronounce the "e" on the end like in Porche? "Lish-ah" or "Leesh-ah"

I love anime and it comes in very handy at times but find myself still stumbling over some of the Japanese words. I try to remember what I can of the language (precious little), but no matter what, I always say something wrong. Fortunately, I have a Korean friend who sometimes translates things for me (Babelfish SUCKS when it comes to translating Korean...I get the weirdest & funniest translations from it) or helps with some of the pronunciations.

Loki's Mom
      <and yes, I'm very anal about wanting to pronounce things correctly...XoP>

15. I thought Gentaro Araki did create both of them? He made Unoss for Volks, then Unoa for himself.

16. Around people that don't know anything about BJD's or know very little, I'll still refer to them as "Dollfies". I said "BJD" once and got a very confused look, which resulted in me giving an uber-lengthy response. I hate giving uber-lengthy responses like that, so I just call them "Dollfies".

When I first saw DD and even after I got my DD, I still thought she was made of resin just like all of the other BJD's because I didn't have any other dolls to compare her to. I didn't figure it out until I saw someone screaming on this forum or elsewhere about how they didn't think DD's were "proper" BJD's just because they were made of vinyl instead of resin, and kept calling DD's "cheap". NO BJD is "cheap". DD's are less expensive, yes, but not CHEAP!

It took me a loooong time to figure out how center-part no-bangs wigs are supposed to sit on the doll's head.

It took me 2 days to figure out how to bend and pose Saori's joints, and that was only after asking another DD owner how it worked.

17. Well that makes a lot more sense. Well basically I thought Volks made both of them for a long time, but then realized they were sold from different companies, even if they had the same sculpter.

18. Haha, I used to get Unoa and Unoss mixed up too :oops: Also, for the longest time I only knew of CH and volks dolls. It wasn't until later when I realized that other brands existed ^-^;;

My most n00bish thing ever had to be when I wanted to buy a low key doll from ebay (won't mention brand names XD). She was about $300-400... I can't really remember, and she was from a less well-known company. She was very cute, but sort of poorly made. Mind you, she -was- a BJD, just not a well constructed one :oops: Thank goodness I didn't buy her, otherwise I wouldn't have had enough $ stashed away for my other boys! XDD

19. Like most people, my noobish-ness was mostly of a financial nature... "Oh goodness, they're *lovely* but $600 MINIMUM?!" I didn't get over that very quickly, so I bought an MSD. I thought that if I liked her a lot, I would be able to buy a more expensive one knowing it was something I was interested in, and if I didn't like her than it was better to have spent $300 than $600.

...Needless to say, now, nearly a year after I first thought "goodgod, a SIX HUNDRED DOLLAR DOLL?!" I'm considering dropping a grand on one without a whole lot of second thoughts ^^;

20. It took me absolutely forever to figure out what OOAK stood for, and then I forgot it a couple of times! And I still often get the wig and eye sizes for the various dolls (even my own, on a few memorable and cringe-inducing occasions) wrong -- so much so that I now look up everything in triplicate and from verified sources. And my silliest mistake was not buying the one doll I fell for so absolutely that I still think about her today, almost a year later. Also, not knowing what LE meant and letting another doll I fell in love with get away from me because I thought I could buy it later.