1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Faux Pas

Nov 27, 2004

1. Hmmm... I'm still a newbie (at least to the forums) and I'm not sure what my biggest newbie mistake was. Probably that I had resigned myself to only getting a SD/SD-13 sized doll... no MSD's for me 'thank-you-very-much'. I did a lot of searching, but never was able to find the only SD sized doll I had fallen in love with... CH's Ceebee. Luckily I didn't fall into the category of "well, I'll just buy the least expensive thing". I had the outlook of "If I am spending this much money, I should love the doll."

Then I stumbled across DOD and absolutely died over the Tender Too and Bee-A dolls. I found out they were MSD sized and just didn't care... I loved them so much. I didn't even know how much they were, just that I had to buy them. And so *smiles* I did... and I've been killing myself with impatience ever since.

I finally have two SD size dolls that I want. Delf Soo and some incarnation of AI CeeBee. Now that I have Too and Bee-A on their way, I am going to start saving for the day fate smiles upon me and drops a Ceebee in my lap *beams*

2. I'm STILL a n00b, and I'm STILL making mistakes. But when I first got into it, I thought that Volks was the only reputable brand, and I didn't want to get a doll from anyone else. Now I'm more partial to Luts and AngelRegion; not only are the dolls just as beautiful as Volks' dolls, they'll be quite a bit easier on my bank account. ^^;

3. probably the worst were 2 within the same post... :oops: thought chowon was some sort of customized choa and, of course, a girl; and, did a "quote" that had a picture in it so of course the picture was repeated, and apparently that was some sort of huge no-no.

I still make mistakes all the time, I dunno who's who and I think everybody's a girl, but I'm learning.

4. I don't know who's who unless it's CP dolls or some Volks molds... ^_^;;;

I've been around anime too much, though, so unless I can see boobs or girly makeup, I assume it's a boy until proven otherwise, no matter how girly it looks. XD;;;

The first thing I did with Nai was to drop his headcap five feet to a linoleum floor. Thankfully it was just the headcap, and it didn't break/crack/chip or anything.

I keep trying to type Luts as Lutz, and I probably say it wrong. (Lutz rhymes with 'roots', so I say it like that...)

5. ...:D I saw a whole bunch of Volks SD pictures and assumed they were computer generated.

I thought it was from some Japanese animated television show.

.______. ...That lasted for about two days before I went, "...Oh :D;"

6. i thought ttory was a girl...up until about day ago. i'm still a n00b to the max. *sheepish*

however, i wasn't too shocked at how expensive they were when i first found out about them...they were too beautiful to be inexpensive.

7. hmm Im still a n00b but one of my earliest n00b moments was asking what all the abbreviation were, like DOD, MSD, SD, OOAC, ect....ect...
      I never really made many post ranting about the prices of bjd because the first dolls I found were Volks and I just imagined that dolls that pretty should rank a 'high' price.
      Then I found the DOD site and saw their dolls and fell in love with them! Not because of the price but because I really loved how the faces looked! Then I fell in love with how low the prices are XD

8. I am totally with Sher, I can never remember who is who, and anytime I've tried, i get it wrong. But everyone here has always 9well, mostly) been kind to the questions. I'm just so glad no one gets offended when i ask right out if thier doll is a girl or a boy. Some of those guys are so darned pretty, I can't tell.

9. I've made so many faux pas I wouldn't know where to begin, lol.

I was searching for MSD F-06 pix a few days ago and noticed that in an older thread I even called a Sasha an F-28. Shocking! :oops:

Though on a personal level, my biggest mistake is to ever bother saying "I don't like [insert doll type] anymore" because it seems I will like them again anyhow (ie, when I didn't want normal-toned dolls anymore but last month turned around and brought Duncan home). Or else to bother saying "No more!" because I always end up falling in love with another.

It's harder to be a newbie now too because there are so many more doll companies and types then there were a few years ago. Good job to all who figure it out and don't just get frustrated :D

10. When I first strung my boy, I didn't know that there were separate right and left thighs and managed to mix them up. xD; Poor thing was sitting spread-eagled for DAYS...

11. I still can't tell if El's a girl or a boy, he's too pretty! :oops: Heehee!

12. X3 Ahaha, me too.
      The worst part is, when I first saw Ttory at the Luts site, I went 'My, what a boyish doll!' and somehow managed to read every 'he' on the page as 'she'. And then proceeded to lament him not being a boy doll and wallow in my ignorance for a good long while. ^_^;;

13. I'm a veteran of a number of special-interest mailing lists and boards, so I tried to do the good-newbie thing and lurk, reading FAQs and posts, and searching before asking questions . . . problem is, the search doesn't always work the way you want it to! I know I've asked questions (like my current one about Franklin Mint clothes) that have probably come up before, but if I can't find the answer in the archives, I might as well ask and get the benefit of other people's experience.

FWIW, Tender Too and Bee-A were my first dolls bought (AND THEY'RE STILL NOT HERE *WAH WAH WAH*), but I didn't get them because they were "cheap" . . . I got them because I think they're beautiful, and I can't wait for them to arrive! I have all their clothes and wigs all laid out ;>

I don't love Aislinn (or my arriving-next-month Aletheia) more than these two just because they're more expensive . . . I'm just as excited about them arriving as I am/was for my others. I don't think DOD is in any way "lesser" just because they offer slightly lower prices!

FWIW, I can't keep ANY of the Volks numbered heads straight . . . I can attach faces to names, but numbers never fail to confuse me ;)

-- Andi (who is more of a Luts girl than a Volks girl, I really don't have any interest in pursuing a Volks doll unless they come out with one who really speaks to me -- some people may think they're "best" because they were first to become popular, but I think each doll company has its strengths and they all make fantastic dolls that appeal to different people!)

14. am still a newbie. Some stuff I knew, some I still don't!

I knew how expensive they were. My first love is DES. I am going to get her. But I orginally thought she would be limited and gone when I finallty had the cash for her. EWrong!

15. Wow, I totally didn't realize that you couldn't get Ttori bi-gendered like a lot of the other Delf kids! of course, the first Ttori I saw was a pretty little elf girl made with the Ttori optional elf head, guess it kind of stuck with me. ^^;

16. I still don't know alot of the abbreviations used in the BJD world.

I think by far my worst noobie mistake was not knowing you could open BJD heads and thinking DoD was the only such company around. :| ;; I deserved to be shot.

I thought El was a boy. D:

17. I just recently realized that the complete Ttori is a boy. I kept thinking he was a girl and that to get a boy I'd have to use optional parts - although I'll still have to do that cause I changed my mind and I want a girl body with an elf Ttori head. :oops:

18. . . . Ttory is a boy??!?

Hehehe, we're ALL still learning no matter how long we've been into BJDs!!!

*giggles*

-- A :D

19. Truthfully I don't know what my greatest "Newbie Moment" was. I was into Volks' 1/6 Dollfies before I found out about Super Dollfies (and even then, info was hard to come by cause the forum was a Yahoo group and Volks hadn't made an English site yet) :(

So I just researched and researched and researched until I knew the basics, but even today I forgets things and have to go look for the answer again. While the price knocked me over for a moment, I figured since they were works of beauty, they HAD to be a little pricey. :grin:

I've got about a million bookmarked sites realating to dolls, and I think my greatest talent is being able to recognize which doll head is which pretty quickly just by studying it (though I'm not perfect at it). :chibi

Of course, while I don't feel like a newbie, I don't have a doll yet so I suppose you could call me one! :daisy :oops:

20. And yes, everytime I say "Ball-Jointed-Doll" or BJD, someone breaks out into perverted little giggles (usually my family) :oops: