1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Faux Pas

Nov 27, 2004

1. Schizo....El is a boy. :wink: Very much so.

2. LOL that's one problem I never have. :grin: After all my years of loving J-Rock, I can always tell who is and isn't a guy, no matter how "girly" they look. :wink:

3. *LOL* Me too. I met this beautiful little Phillipino drag queen last weekend, and even some of the gay men I was with didn't realize that she was actually a boy. *lol*

But yeah, even Shin gets regularly mistaken for a girl by non doll fans.

Shin: #@&_#^!@)*^"???!!!

4. Well I'm still a n00b to the max--I've only really been around for little over a month! I've been trying not to make too many n00b mistakes (I lurked for quite a while to get the feel of the forum, I do extensive searches before asking questions, although I'm not very good at it, etc) but I'm sure there've been a few faux pas I didn't realize I was making. :oops:

One n00b mistake I DO remember making still haunts me to this day! As of A-kon this year I still did not have a BJD of my own, and had only just started looking at all of the ones I could find to decide which one I wanted to get.

*Mistake #1... I was in the market for a girl, so I'd been ignoring all of the boy dolls I saw, including Shiwoo.

*Mistake #2... I was under the impression that Chiwoo was a girl. :roll:

So a friend of mine invited me to go to A-kon with her on Friday with a borrowed pass, and it just happened that the Dollfie meet-up was that day so I was very excited! After it was over my friend and I started talking to this girl, and I mentioned that I was thinking of getting a Soo. She said that was great, and that she was thinking of getting a Shiwoo.

*Mistake #3... Not knowing how to properly pronounce "Chiwoo," and not knowing that Shiwoo even existed, I assumed she meant Chiwoo. Reference Mistake #2. >.<

So, in the grand culmination of all of my previous n00b mistakes, I said, "Oh yeah, SHE'S beautiful!"

*crickets chirp*

Now I realize what an IDIOT I sounded like, and I cringe every time I think of it! *_* Dear, sweet victim of my stupidity... if you're on this forum, please accept my humblest of apologies and know that I now share your love of Shiwoo and actually have one of my own!!! :daisy

Mandy

5. Nahhh, Shin is all guy! :wink: But yeah, I think you have to know a bit about the Asian sense of beauty before you can instantly tell. A lot of Americans here are like "Whoah... cute chick!" *Sigh* :| Oh well, they'll learn in time. :oops:

6. I meant as in that seeing as I indulge in yaoi alot, I never had any gender issues concerning El. XDD

7. I'm a total n00b at this. a friend of mine was telling me about this stuff about a year ago, then I finally saw them in person when I went to Anime Expo over this past 4th of July. So, I got a couple site names, including this one, from one of the gals that had a couple. Her dolls came from Luts and that's where she sent me to look at stuff. I also found other sites through my own research, but the sizes are confuzing to me. I still don't know which sizes work together if you go about buying parts from different sites, or the clothing made for "SD-13" vs "Kids Luts" vs "Volks (choose your poison)" whatever ya know? Then I hear, "mateniance" and I cried out "You mean after spending all that money on the damn doll you still gotta finish it up by sanding seams? WTF man?!?" :cry: I'm starting to think they're not worth my trouble... but i still want one... Any help on size comparisons or other sites *that I could read preferably* with the large dolls? *dolls like Luts' Chiwoo, or Dream of Doll's U* Any help in this would be very much appreciated... I feel like such a loser now... *_*

8. I can't tell the difference between the Volks heads at all, not even the girl and boy ones. I mean, if there's a picture of two different ones side by side I can see that they're not the same but other than that I have no idea ^^;;

9. Oh my goodness X3 I'm still such a newbie to all of this, as so many people are on this forum ^^;

I remember, probably one of my worst moments was thinking that Volks was the -only- company out there, that and I -still- have a list of like... maybe four companies or so o.o;;

Abbreviations kill me, too >< I'm still not sure what OOAC(right?) is, though this is the first time posting about it... hmm...

Lurking is more fun right now than posting, I think X3 Makes me feel like not-such-an-idoit.

10. LOL, my thoughts exactly! I always thought Ttory was a girl *smacks forhead*

Hmm, biggest Noob mistake? Posting in the wrong area of the forum (I'll still do that sometimes)... not knowing half the dolls out there (there are just so many!), rushing in to buying some pretty dolls because they were available... because I JUST WANTED A DOLL (put in bold to stress the NEED I felt, lol) and then realizing they weren't really for me.

My first dolls were DOD, and they're beautiful dolls, definately worth the purchase if you know that's the doll for you... but I knew they weren't, I just figured I'd never be able to afford the doll for me (or that she wouldn't be available since she was limited), so I didn't wait.

It all worked out in the end though... and another noob mistake... not knowing how to use DOAs search engine... thus leading to me asking many a stupid questions.

11. As a fellow J-Rock lover, I have almost no problems there either! Usually, when someone sees my Gackt calendar they comment "Is that a girl?" When I say that Gackt is a boy (and boy is he! *evil wicked grin*) I usually hear "But he looks like a girl!"

That's when I pull out a picture of Mana. You want to see a man that looks like a woman? Mana in full costume!

Okay...that was OT...but to get it back on topic...

As a n00b who is slowly exiting her n00bness, I too remembering stunned at first over the prices. Especially since at the time the only dolls I knew/had seen were the 11'' Barbie sized dolls. Once I realized just how tall some of these dolls can be, it was a bit easier to accept the price.

It's just darned difficult to save up!

12. oh yeah, and there is the fact that I spell noob wrong... XD

n00b... n00b... n00b... *repeats to self*

13. Being a n00b myself, I think my worst mistake has been "window shopping"--looking around so much that I become indecisive. I managed to break that habit by finding a couple of companies I like best and just looking at those dolls, namely Luts and D.O.D.

And ditto on the anime/J-rock thing. Determining the dolls' gender by sight isn't any problem for me, since I'm so used to ambiguity and androgyny. =D

14. *Sighs dreamily* I love Japanese goth-guys who can cross-dress with style... :chibi

*Ahem* Anyway... :oops: I once showed a picture of Mana to a male friend of mine, who instantly fell in love. Only then did I tell him Mana's true gender. My poor friend was heartbroken and confused, but he got over it. :grin:

I'm beginning to think I have some freak doll-gender-awareness or something. I don't know how I always get it right! *_* No matter how feminine a doll gets, I can always tell if there is a Y-chromosome lurking in there somewhere...

And yes, I know dolls don't have chromosomes... :oops:

15. Okay. xD I'm still a super nooB sandwhich, but I think my best newbie moment was when I opened up the head of a volks nono and was working on restringing her when the s-hook that was fixed in the typical volks fashion slipped and hit the neck. xD It made such a loud cracking sound as it hit the resin that I thought I had broken the resin holding her headcap together. XD I was almost crying when a friend showed me that the s-hooks fit into a groove instead of hooking onto a resin loop like with the luts heads.

Bdur. >:B

16. I thought 'eluts.com' said 'esluts.com' the first time I read it. *_*

17. LOL that's hilarius!! :D I've always thought Luts was one letter away from being very naughty. :oops:

18. ACTUALLY the 1/6th scale Dollfies ARE a form of Ball Jointed Doll. Hence the ball joints on them. T_T They're just not strung using elastic or thread (though that's in the works too, I hear ^_^)

I'm going to join the others... Ttori is a BOY?! ^^;;

One problem I fell into as soon as I got into BJDs was "falling in love with LE" or worse yet... "one-offs"! ;_; It's so hard finding the doll that's just for you, and then realizing that there's no way in hell you'll be able to get it. I think I went through 3 or 4, until I finally was able to get my LE Shiwoo Elf (thank you Oriscany!!!! <3). Silly nooB mistakes. ^^;;

19. Ugh. I'm STILL a n00b. A year or so ago the only place I knew that sold dollfies (yeah. I call them dollfies too >_>) was domuya.net. I only recently found gigglegeek and it makes me cry because I found such lovely dolls from there that I want now. :cry:

20. I'm generally new and for the record.. that is SINKING ME. I can't make up my mind on which boy I want and I don't have the money to make an impulsive descision. I found a girl I want more than anything but the boy I want was in a personal gallery and ... I don't know what kind he is. :: ducks the objects that will surely be thrown at her :: .__.;

As someone who is new, remembering all the different types and things is like remembering history homework. Except it's addictive! I couldn't stop if I wanted to. ^o^;