1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Furniture

Apr 2, 2005

1. I would love to build whole dioramas for my dolls furniture and props included. But as furniture for my 70cm giants often costs hundreds of dolls it's not in my price range.
      Those prices are fair in my mind though. It's so labor intensive to make quality doll furniture.
      I'm considering making some furniture from cardboard and cold porcelin after following someone's project journal.

2. I don't know what your budget is, but I've found some cheaper furniture that suited 70cm dolls. I found a really nice salesman sample wing backed chair that was too big for my 54cm dolls that looked like it would work for a 70cm doll. It was around $90. I found it on ebay, but someone bought it. They're definitely cheaper pieces out there, but it takes a lot of looking and looking frequently. Salesman sample furniture comes in all different sizes from 1/6 to toddler sized. Some of the pieces I've seen are way too overpriced in my opinion (like this one child sized couch priced at $15,000), but there are deals out there. The pet chaise lounges at tj maxx Rive mentioned might also work. When I looked there were two different sizes of them, one 14in tall and the other 20in tall. The bigger one might work well for a taller doll. If you find a piece you like that's a little too short your can add legs. It's still definitely cheaper to diy though.

3. I’ve been hunting for a good salesman sample piece but the shipping alone is $100 for a couch, they’re heavy and fragile. I’m hoping to find one in my area someday for pickup.

4. Yeah, I've seen some where the shipping is more than the item. Shipping within the US is generally about a dollar a pound for heavier things from my experience. It seems like some people just make up a number for shipping because they don't want to go to the post office to see how much it would actually cost. I've lucked out and found a chair with $15 shipping. When things are open again flea markets might be a good place to look.

5. When I needed a bed for a 1/3 doll, I found a park bench of the 18 inch doll size.(thrift store, seen many park benches, all about $10) That became my headboard, with foam core to support a mattress. Then a bed skirt hid the base and I had a bed long enough. My doll never complained!

6. To tell you the truth, I would like to build a small room for my dolls with beds, sofas and other things. I think it must be very interesting and suitable for taking pictures. But the fact is that our doll furniture is very expensive, I can't afford it, and I'm not a very hands-on person. I can't make my own small furniture. So now my dolls can only stay in the corner of my room.

7. @Olivia.Collins - I understand what you're saying, and the bulk is absolutely true (interesting, good for photos...) but this part
      is less true. Things can easily be repurposed, sometimes with minimal alterations. It doesn't have to be expensive.
      As someone who has crafted my entire life (I've been knitting since I was 4 or 5, sewing (poorly) since about 7) and who now has severe tendon problems in my hands and arms (typing this one handed because I had hand surgery #2 yesterday) I really, genuinely believe that anyone can craft. Maybe not in the mediums or at the level you'd ideally want (yet), but everyone can create things, beautiful things, if they want to. It just takes time and practice, and you've already got the touch of imagination to have gotten into dolls in the first place. Don't let self-imposed barriers get in the way :)

8. An unusual discovery. So I was looking at teddy bear furniture and I ran across these collectible bears called Boyd Bears and they have some good looking non-childish furniture when you search for it on resale sites. I have no idea of the scale, looks a loveseat could fit two 60cm dolls but they look kind of low to the ground, maybe 45-50cm dolls would look more proportionate.

I’ve already bought furniture so I’m going to pass on these goodies but thought I’d mention it for fellow furniture hunters!

9. Thank you very much for your encouragement. You are right, maybe I am making excuses for my laziness. Whether I am successful or not, I should try it first. After all, creation itself is a happy thing.

10. Ok excuse the quick pic & link! I just slopped it together until I finish my doll nook. So I ordered the larger 1 which clearly isn’t to scale. My doll is about 60cm and her feet don’t fully reach the edge. But I still like it as a display option because I have five incoming dolls that will need a place to sit. It works for a cute display, not a realistic one(maybe the smaller one will look better?) it’s big enough for 6-7 large dolls to sit comfortably.

The color is gorgeous and I love the quality

Imgur

11. It's so cute. I was worried it might be too big. Isn't the one that has tufting just on the side the smaller one and the one that is tufted all over the bigger one? Or is there an even smaller one? I think I might still get one when tj maxx opens their online store again. It's definitely a cute display piece regardless of size. I'm hoping that maybe I could get my cat to sleep on it if I don't like it for my dolls. Is that a squishmallow I see? I have the same one but it's one of the stackable ones.

12. I thought so too but the one with only one side looks pretty dang big to me. It’s hard to tell since I couldn’t go in person to compare. TJ Maxx recently opened their online store so I bought it there, there used to be a lot more styles and colors though. :DIt would definitely look cute for a cat! It’s very sturdy and soft. You would be right! It’s a Valentines edition my husband bought for me, I have a big collection of stuffed cats.

13. I found a picture of it with a fairly large dog on it. I guess that's the size they were going for. It looks like they make even bigger ones that look more like they're child sized than pet sized. I'll have to see if I have the money after my next doll order. What a nice gift. They're really soft and squishy. There are also key chain size squishmallows if you want a matching one for your doll.

14. My Pop Art Chair

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

#934 dj_ambient, Mar 10, 2021
      Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    15. Unfortunately my flickr photos cannot open here at DoA...

Resolved

#935 dj_ambient, Mar 10, 2021
      Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    16. Our Generation (which sells at both Target and Walmart I believe) have items perfect for dolls over 18 inches in height. Horses, lockers, pop up food stands-you name it! But it’s actually pretty awesome because if you’re looking for accessories to go with an already built doll house for your dolls or even to just take pics with, they’re the perfect match! Just wanted to let everyone know :)

17. Target has "Our generation" Wal-Mart's version is "My life as.." Same size and yeah they both have really cute stuff. Some of it is kinda hit or miss on what scale its supposed to be, but if you have multiple sizes of doll that not a problem.

18. I would love to have full rooms for my dolls. I miss having a doll room. When I had a doll room the dolls I had at the time were too big for me to make rooms for them, but now my dolls mostly consist of 1/6th scale and there are a lot of options for that size. My bigger girl that is coming may get a room box in the future, but for right now they all just sit around my tv as I have nowhere else to put them, and definitely no room for them to have rooms.
      I do have one 1/6th scale couch that 3 of my girls sit on on top of my printer and I have a fur "rug" under the couch that the other smaller girls sit on in front of the couch. It is not ideal, but it is decent enough of a display for now. I will attach a picture, please excuse my unpainted girls...I have to send their faceplates off on my next day off to get painted.

[​IMG]

19. I have a cabinet for my off topic dolls but no furniture for my bjd yet. I think I will buy at least a chair for them and find a specific place where I can put him. Currently he moves to wherever is flat at the moment. I have no pets that would make this precarious. Currently just browsing etsy for ideas.

20. What is your opinion of the currently available doll furniture?
      For BJDs specifically, I'd love to just see it become more popular! I know furniture takes more effort than smaller props though, and not everyone gets furniture for their BJDs. For just dolls in general, there's a lot of interesting stuff out there! Target has a lot of furniture and accessories for 18in American Girl-type dolls, and a lot of it is just precious. I picked up a desk, a bunch of school accessories, and a tea-and-sweets set there today that's a good fit for my 1/3 girls!

What do you wish was available?
      More of a variety of higher-quality stuff from larger BJD brands to go with specific dolls! I'd love to see a popular BJD brand do a complete, crazy furniture and accessories collection for a doll release (again, in the style of American Girl, haha).

What prices do you really think are 'affordable'?
      For a typical set what I got my girls from Target, the $20-30 range is "affordable." As far as what's fair, however, I'd expect a much nicer set to go for $200-$300.

And finally, have you ever thought of setting your doll up with traditional-styled Japanese furniture?
      Oh my god, I've dreamed of a doll-sized kotatsu for sure! But that's about it.